Thread: Email Address Automation

Hyperactive Member

Email Address Automation

When i type an email address in Outlook, it gives me some previous emails to select.

Is it possible to create this on a VB6 form so i can give the user the same.

ie a Combobox and as i start typing , it give me some to click on.

Rather that going to start a new email and find the one i want , then copy paste etc.

tks

Re: Email Address Automation

Google:

AutoComplete ComboBox using Visual Basic 6.0
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Google:

AutoComplete ComboBox using Visual Basic 6.0
    i dont think its as simple as that. I dont want to read existing contacts , i want it to be like Outlook that if i have used an email before
    as i type the emails that have been used before popup.

I need to know how to get these previously used/cached email addresses.

Also what if i want a 2nd email to autocomplete ie email@email.com ; ((( now type a second email and as i type i get a few to choose from)))

tks

Then you need to store them, and then ... "AutoComplete ComboBox using Visual Basic 6.0".
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

You can use SaveSetting and GetSetting to save/retrieve previously used email adresses

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Then you need to store them, and then ... "AutoComplete ComboBox using Visual Basic 6.0".
    Hi Elroy. Is there no way through Outlook automation that i can retrieve whats already been entered.
    If you start a new email and then start typing in the address box , Outlook pops up some addresses based on what you have just typed.

Is this not exposed to VB6 automation?

Quote Originally Posted by k_zeon View Post
    When i type an email address in Outlook, it gives me some previous emails to select.

Is it possible to create this on a VB6 form so i can give the user the same.

ie a Combobox and as i start typing , it give me some to click on.

Rather that going to start a new email and find the one i want , then copy paste etc.

tks
    Quote Originally Posted by k_zeon View Post
    Hi Elroy. Is there no way through Outlook automation that i can retrieve whats already been entered.
    If you start a new email and then start typing in the address box , Outlook pops up some addresses based on what you have just typed.

Is this not exposed to VB6 automation?
    Ahhh, you didn't initially say you wanted to dig it out of Outlook. It's literally been decades ago since I messed with any Outlook automation, and even then it was highly resistant to allowing you to bulk-access its stored emails. I seriously doubt this is possible, especially if it's not a wholly local version of Outlook (such as typically running on an Exchange server).
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

For getting email adresses from Outlook:

Code:
        Dim iOutApp As Object
        Dim i As Long

Set iOutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
        Combo1.Clear
        For i = 1 To iOutApp.Session.Accounts.Count
            Combo1.AddItem iOutApp.Session.Accounts.Item(i)
        Next i

Hyperactive Member

Personally, I'd say to stick with Outlook contacts instead of trying to use Outlook email auto-complete. I've been bitten by email addresses in auto-complete from people that retired a decade ago too many times. The contacts list is an explicit list (or set of merged lists) that you can clean up yourself and see the exact contents of.

Hyperactive Member

Hi ahenry. thanks, but some emails i have previously typed but not saved to contacts.
    If i start a new email and begin typing, i would like to same functionality that Outlook has where it offers me a previous email to select.
    As it stands, i have to start an email and begin typing and the copy the email to put in my app.
    I thought there may be a way to list previous entries, poss somewhere in the registry or a settings file that outlook uses.

for now i dont think there is any way.