Thread: ucListViewEx Scaling and DPI awareness problem

ucListViewEx Scaling and DPI awareness problem

Hi,

I've found this great Usercontrol as a replacement for Microsoft Common Controls ListView v.5.
    The problem here appears with the scaling on Windows 10/11 systems when running the compiled executable file. Can someone please fix this when the override high DPI is performed by the Application and not by the System which is kind of blurred when done that way?

Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files

Eve Online - Mining, Missions & Market Trading!

Re: ucListViewEx Scaling and DPI awareness problem

Windows shouldn't apply any scaling at all if you select to override the high DPI scaling behavior to be performed by Application...

PowerPoster

I think you have it all backwards.

There is no "override." All you can do is accept default appcompat for legacy code, select some specific type of appcompat, declare that your program handles the trivial case where all monitors have the same settings, or else declare that your program will deal with all of it manually even when multiple monitors have different DPI settings.

The latter is pretty hard and you can't assume that other libraries read your mind and handle things the same way you do. Even partial DPI awareness is hard, especially in VB6. LaVolpe tried to explain that in his thread https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....eing-DPI-Aware

Eve Online - Mining, Missions & Market Trading!

Post Re: ucListViewEx Scaling and DPI awareness problem

Yeah I've read that thread. When I said "override" I was replying to the OP who was using that word as well. I assumed it is referring to this compatibility dialog box:

Name:  OverrideScaling.png
Views: 163
Size:  13.0 KB

There are 3 "override" options in there, "Application", "System" and "System Enhanced". I have tested all 3 options and if you choose "Application" there is no automatic scaling whatsoever. It simply assumes your application can handle the scaling on its own even if it doesn't, so it won't get automatically enlarged or blurry...

Sorry for saying "override" word. That was for a testing purposes to show how the scaling is behaving by the Application or the System. The System scales the columns in Details mode correctly as shown on the screenshots, but its kind of blurry. When the scaling is done by the Application, columns takes at about 60-70% of the Usercontrol only. How can this be done by the Application to scale it correctly and doesn't look so blurry?

Name:  scaled.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  not_scaled.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  27.4 KB

I've tried LaVolpe suggestions with creating a manifest file and include a DPI awareness, but the result was the same. Maybe the scaling source code in the Usercontrol needs some corrections or adjustments which I don't know how to do that.

This is a great standalone replacement for the Microsoft ListView Control which includes adding PNG in every subitem as icon, coloring rows, adding progress bar and etc. and might be used by many people in the future who still prefer the good old VB6
    Last edited by dani86; Jan 24th, 2023 at 05:57 AM.

Btw, setting Scaling performed by: Application is the only way to get back non-system scaled (non-blurry) UI on "normal" 125% DPI as it used to be the case in Win7 and below with VB6 applications.

We used to not have any problems with 125% DPI machines deploying our unmanifested legacy apps but in Win10+ these get system-scaled on 125% DPI too which is annoying.

cheers,
    </wqw>