Thread: 125 new bots?

125 new bots?

I'm guessing this is BOT activity??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: 125 new bots?

That would be my guess also.

It looks that way... but they were all in the "Registering" phase, and a check on a few of those names shows that they didn't manage to register.

Welcome to our nightmare

Luckily we have a LOT of filters in place.... An Ex Sister site (webdev) was rebuilt with a beta software and we lost all of the filters etc.... It's a spam magnet.

But even here, there's a member online right now who join September 5, 2018 ...... Never posted till today and BOOM... Filters marked the post as spam and needed Site Staff approval...
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

I'm always shocked at how MUCH spam is really out there. We see a fair amount, but it really isn't the tip of the iceberg, since icebergs float relatively high in the water. We likely don't see 0.1% of the spam.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm always shocked at how MUCH spam is really out there. We see a fair amount, but it really isn't the tip of the iceberg, since icebergs float relatively high in the water. We likely don't see 0.1% of the spam.
    And they are sneaky.... Does anyone see the URL I placed in the quote?

Six million dollar question, does a hidden URL still have "Juice?" Meaning will bots still pick it up or do people have to click on it?

Does anyone know if info in vBulletin User Profiles can be "Googled?"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    And they are sneaky.... Does anyone see the URL I placed in the quote?
    I'm used to spotting that for new users, but wouldn't have looked in your posts (if you had bad intentions, you'd create far bigger issues than links!).

Six million dollar question, does a hidden URL still have "Juice?" Meaning will bots still pick it up or do people have to click on it?
    People are very unlikely to click them, I think the aim is getting search engines to find them - which is unlikely to work with that technique (and techniques that are likely to be picked up by search engines are also much easier for us to spot and stop).

Does anyone know if info in vBulletin User Profiles can be "Googled?"
    I have been told in the past that they can't, but don't rely on my old and second-hand knowledge.

VBF has 138 members that have the exact same phrase in their Biography that reads->

I am expert in web developer

The first several accounts were created in 2013.... The most recent was November 2022. They never made or post OR came back to the site.... Most of the sister sites have the same type of members.

VERY WEIRD

I am a bit confused. What would be the purpose to create an account by a bot and not use it to post adds or links to some commercial stuff?
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    I am a bit confused. What would be the purpose to create an account by a bot and not use it to post adds or links to some commercial stuff?
    Your guess will be as good as any

That's why I'm wondering if vBulletin User Profiles can be "Googled?" Maybe the BOT maker thinks the info can be handy... There user profiles ALL have a URL in the Home Page line of the profile.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

I'm just waiting for the day when bots start posting stuff that is actually useful. A bot well-skilled in VB6 or an AI that is able to answer real questions based upon the combined knowledge of VBforums.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

With ChatGPT showing the power of AI, it is clear that bots are going to get more intelligent. I can see posts happening now based on that technology that will be solid technical comments and possibly even responses to questions that are made without a human being involved. The irony will be when the bots start responding to the bots.....

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I'm just waiting for the day when bots start posting stuff that is actually useful. A bot well-skilled in VB6 or an AI that is able to answer real questions based upon the combined knowledge of VBforums.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

PowerPoster

My guess is that there are "schools" out there teaching this stuff and VBF is one of the targets recommended as homework.

PowerPoster

Interestingly, there have been two (that I've noticed, perhaps more) crypto spam posts recently by accounts with just a few total posts, but have been around since 2017. So, accounts getting created now could just be dormant placeholders for future nonsense.

I often tell myself I've seen it all... And it does seem very weird for an account that is more then two years old, suddenly become active and post spam.

I've always thought it was crazy to post spam in the Feedback section... In theory, if there is a Site Staff person, they will always check the Feedback section and read all new posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    My guess is that there are "schools" out there teaching this stuff and VBF is one of the targets recommended as homework.
    And they probably post homework questions here, lol!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008