Thread: [RESOLVED] Can the "Today's Birthdays" section of the home page be deactivated for January 1st?

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can the "Today's Birthdays" section of the home page be deactivated for January 1st?

Many (probably thousands) of accounts have January 1st registered as their birthday, resulting in the home page historically loading very slowly on January 1st.

Is there any way to make a change to the home page to remove the "Today's Birthdays" section prior to January 1st, and then reinstate it after January 1st? Please?

Re: Can the "Today's Birthdays" section of the home page be deactivated for January 1

probably easier if it could be changed to just not show any users with a birthday 1 Jan...
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: Can the "Today's Birthdays" section of the home page be deactivated for January 1

OptionBase1 - if you're on Dial Up I could maybe see how the large number might possibly affect you for a small amount of time.... I'd think that the cached temp internet files would help.

I've been associated with VBF's sister sites for 23 years and it never crossed my mind that the sites are slower on January 1st. I'm a huge speed freak and often will not go to a site if it takes than a few seconds to load. VBF and it's sister sites have had many a day with page loading issues, but the days weren't related to the birthdates.

Technically it's members that don't enter a BirthDate are being seen as January 1, 1000. There are currently a little over 90,000 of those members.

OK... Tomorrow is the BIG DAY.... Let's all make note of the large number of people having birthdays.... AND report here if you notice page loading speed issues.

PowerPoster

Load times seem fine despite the many many screens of birthday notices. Much faster than what I recall from previous New Years. Sorry for the false alarm on this.

Re: [RESOLVED] Can the "Today's Birthdays" section of the home page be deactivated fo

It's a story with a HAPPY ENDING.... That's all we care about around here.

BUT, here's a question: The Admin Control panel here has many SEARCH Fields...two of which are:

Birthday is After
    (yyyy-mm-dd)

Birthday is Before
    (yyyy-mm-dd)

I would like to think there is a wildcard command to replace the "y" to show all or show any YEAR. I tried ????, YYYY, and XXXX none of which worked. Anyone have a suggestion?

Re: [RESOLVED] Can the "Today's Birthdays" section of the home page be deactivated fo

Wildcard characters for various popular systems include these: % * _ @ #

Our newest member, azibyaqoob, wasn't deterred joining VBForums today, but I'm sure alot of members don't have speedy internet access to handle the 4019 default birthdayers.

Glad I'm not one of them!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Jan 1st, 2023 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    Wildcard characters for various popular systems include these: % * _ @ #
    Thanks. I didn't have any luck but it was worth the try.