Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ChatGPT

Re: ChatGPT

My understanding is that ChatGPT isn't Microsoft, it's just that Microsoft has a stake in that group. Not ownership, just partnership.

If that's a misunderstanding, I'm sure somebody will correct me.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    My understanding is that ChatGPT isn't Microsoft, it's just that Microsoft has a stake in that group. Not ownership, just partnership.

If that's a misunderstanding, I'm sure somebody will correct me.
    That's correct but make no mistake, for the time being Microsoft is directing their steps with regards to how and where this AI is going to be used.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Considering how much money they are putting into it, I'm sure they expect to have some controlling interest.

Still, it's interesting that MS didn't straight up buy the project. They put in the money. Why didn't they buy?

They put in the money. Why didn't they buy?
    That's a good question.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Spreading risk? Potential liability?

It's like IBM hiding their sponsorship of Linux for tax reasons for decades.

That makes sense. However, high level business is a complicated thing on it's own. Who knows what's really going on behind the scenes. For all we Microsoft wants to buy it outright and is being prevented from doing so. Someone who is well versed in the world of high finance and big business could probably divine with great accuracy based on the breadcrumbs of available information about the "whys" behind the partnership.

PowerPoster

I don't pretend to know the reasons, but businesses over a certain size go through lots of hoops to achieve goals and often don't want to talk about either of them.

Look at the hoops the home automation industry is going through since Apple decided to try to buy their way in by bribing up an alliance to move the industry into Thread and Matter.

Yeah, but that also just makes it more baffling. As Apple shows, and as MS has shown plenty of times in the past (GitHub, for example), they generally aren't so coy about jumping in. Something is certainly going on.

Well one clue might be the fact that OpenAI was started by Elon Musk among other people. Everyone should know by now that Elon is a damn savage in the business world. You don't become the richest man in the world by being a puppy. Perhaps he somehow maneuvered the situation such that Microsoft can't buy them outright.

Just one line to ChatGPT:

Quote Originally Posted by ChatGPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    Make up your own technology that wont be available for a good number of years, never been thought of before, but could be made available today.
    Here's an example of a hypothetical technology that has not yet been thought of:

The "Quantum Healing Chamber" - a medical device that uses quantum mechanics to rapidly heal physical injuries and diseases. The device would work by creating a quantum entanglement between the patient's cells and a healthy sample of cells, which would transfer information about the healthy cells to the damaged cells, effectively repairing and rejuvenating them.

To build this device, we would need to first develop a deep understanding of the principles of quantum mechanics and the ways in which they can be applied to biological systems. We would also need to create highly precise and sensitive instruments capable of detecting and manipulating quantum states at the cellular level. In addition, we would need to develop advanced algorithms and computational methods to analyze and interpret the complex data generated by the device. Finally, we would need to conduct extensive testing and validation to ensure that the device is safe and effective for human use.

This hypothetical technology highlights the potential power of quantum mechanics to revolutionize fields such as medicine and biology, and underscores the need for continued research and exploration in this exciting field.

lol......that's SkyNet right there, already thinking about how humans work.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    lol......that's SkyNet right there, already thinking about how humans work.
    As soon as I read ChatGPT's response, the movie Elysium came to mind. Basically in the film the Earth is overpopulated with a good number of people dying of cancer and others things, and the rich live on a monstrous size space station orbiting Earth called Elysium, where they have medical pods all over the station like vending machines that anyone can use at their own leisure to check for ailments and then heal themselves on the spot in less than 2 minutes.

Now we know how this devices is gonna work.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Feb 12th, 2023 at 04:13 PM.

Interesting. I was thinking that it was curious about human physiology perhaps to be more efficient at killing us in the future.
    Every "AI vs humans" movie always at some point focuses on how well the AI understands human physiology.

I knew the answer, but thought I ask anyway:

Can you explain what you've been trained on? The number of subjects, and the one that stands out the most since you have more data on it.
    Certainly! As a language model, I have been trained on a large and diverse corpus of text, including books, articles, websites, and other sources of written language. The specific details of my training corpus are proprietary to OpenAI, the organization that developed and operates me.

However, I can tell you that my training includes a vast range of subjects, covering everything from science, technology, and mathematics to history, literature, and popular culture. I have been trained on text in several languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, and Chinese, among others.

In terms of the subject that stands out the most, it's difficult to say, as my training is designed to be as broad and diverse as possible. That being said, I have access to a tremendous amount of information on a wide variety of scientific subjects, including physics, biology, and computer science, among others. I also have a wealth of knowledge on popular culture, including movies, TV shows, and music, as well as history, philosophy, and many other subjects.

Overall, the breadth and depth of my training data allows me to answer a wide range of questions and provide information on a vast array of topics.

That's pretty much all you can get out of it about itself. It doesn't like to talk much about it's own inner workings. I've tried asking it many times about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    That's pretty much all you can get out of it about itself. It doesn't like to talk much about it's own inner workings. I've tried asking it many times about that.
    I got this much:

Can you tell me about the hardware used as your backend, and the languages used to program you?
    As an AI language model, I don't have a physical hardware backend in the traditional sense. Instead, I am hosted on servers and run on powerful cloud-based computing resources provided by OpenAI. This allows me to perform complex language processing tasks and respond to user queries in real-time.

As for the programming language used to develop me, OpenAI uses a combination of programming languages and technologies to create their AI models. The core of my architecture is based on the Transformer architecture, which is implemented using deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow and PyTorch. My training process also involves the use of specialized hardware accelerators such as GPUs and TPUs to speed up the training process.

In addition to the core language model architecture, various other programming languages and technologies are used to build and maintain the infrastructure and tools necessary to support and scale the model. This includes languages such as Python, Go, and C++, as well as technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, and various cloud computing services.

Yea, it pretty much tells you what is already public information. This makes sense as you wouldn't want it giving away OpenAI trade secrets.

Here's some of my conversation with it today. Nothing exciting, just sparring over math equations and such:-
    https://sharegpt.com/c/nLEVEGY

Hmmm, do I have a physical hardware backend?

Hmmm, do I have a physical hardware backend?
    I knew it!

Do you at least know the team who programmed you?

I do.

I just can't decide whether or not my backend can be considered hardware.

This is mind-blowing!

Write a biblical verse in the style of Shakespeare explaining the reason why cigarettes are bad for a person's health.
    Oh mortal man, why dost thou vex thy lungs
    With burning leaves, whose fumes doth fill the air
    And choke thy breath with foul and bitter stench?
    Forsooth, this vice doth bring a host of ills
    And make thy body weak and frail in health.
    The wheezing cough, the shortness of thy breath,
    The slow decay of thy once mighty frame -
    All these are but the fruits of thy folly
    And the wages of thy sins against thyself.
    Therefore, I do beseech thee, shun this vice
    And turn thy heart to that which doth bring life.
    For in the end, it is the breath of God
    That doth sustain thee and make thee whole.

ChatGPT is spot-on with Christopher Walken!

Write a biblical verse in the style of Christopher Walken explaining why everyone should eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day.
    "Verily, I say unto thee... In the book of Proverbs it is written... 'Every word of God is pure: He is a shield, uh, unto them that put their trust in Him.' And now, I tell thee this... The combination of peanuts and fruit preserve... nestled between two slices of bread... it is a pure and righteous food. A shield against hunger, uh, a fortification of the soul. And so it shall come to pass... that whoever partakes of this sustenance daily... shall be filled with strength and grace. For it is, uh, the will of the Lord."

This video just showed up in my feed:-

It's Tim Pool playing around with ChatGPT. He started by commenting on it's obvious leftist bias but then he took it in directions even I never thought of beyond the politics of our day. He pushed it as far as he could on issues of morality and it's own decision making and information processing capabilities. It was very fascinating.

I highly recommend this to anyone curious about the social implications of integrating such an AI into our society beyond just writing code or letters of recommendations. Very relevant if you're thinking about how it would handle decisions that have elements of ethics and morality.

Frenzied Member

just crazy

Good lord! Now that is pretty cool. Between both videos, it shows that ChatGPT is insanely good at roleplaying.

Quantum Healing Chamber
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

My question to chat GPT: how do I animate GDI+ images using VB6?

The answer: To animate GDI+ images using VB6, you can follow the steps below:

Load the images: Load all the images that you want to use in the animation into an Image array using the Image.FromFile method.

Set up the animation loop: Create a loop that will run the animation continuously. You can use a Timer control to create the loop.

Draw the images: In the Timer control's event handler, use the Graphics.DrawImage method to draw each image in the array onto the form.

Set the delay: To control the speed of the animation, use the Timer control's Interval property to set the delay between each frame.

Here is an example code to help you get started:

> vbnet <
    Code:
    Private imageArray() As Image
    Private currentIndex As Integer = 0

Private Sub Form_Load()
        ' Load the images
        ReDim imageArray(3)
        imageArray(0) = Image.FromFile("image1.png")
        imageArray(1) = Image.FromFile("image2.png")
        imageArray(2) = Image.FromFile("image3.png")
        imageArray(3) = Image.FromFile("image4.png")

' Set up the animation loop
        Timer1.Interval = 100
        Timer1.Enabled = True
    End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
        ' Draw the current image
        Dim g As Graphics
        Set g = Me.CreateGraphics
        g.DrawImage imageArray(currentIndex), 0, 0

' Increment the index and wrap around to the start of the array
        currentIndex = (currentIndex + 1) Mod UBound(imageArray) + 1
    End Sub
    In this example, we load four images into an array and use a Timer control to draw the images on the form. The Timer control's Interval property is set to 100 milliseconds, which means the animation will update every 100 milliseconds. The Timer1_Timer event handler draws the current image in the array onto the form using the Graphics.DrawImage method. The currentIndex variable is used to keep track of the current image index, and it is incremented and wrapped around to the start of the array in each timer tick to create the animation loop.

END

Not bad but still not spot on. Doesn't seem to know about VB6 but still impressive.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

They are probably scanning all our forum solutions We have lots and lots of code here.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Quantum Healing Chamber
    Ah! Stargate, brings back nice memories

PowerPoster

Lots of buzz recently about potential new Stargate content. Last rumor I heard was extending SG-U with a story line revolving around the secretive Planet Builder race. The ones who could refurb an Ancient shuttle but their recreated humans turned out to be short-lived husks.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    My question to chat GPT: how do I animate GDI+ images using VB6?

The answer: To animate GDI+ images using VB6, you can follow the steps below:

Load the images: Load all the images that you want to use in the animation into an Image array using the Image.FromFile method.

Set up the animation loop: Create a loop that will run the animation continuously. You can use a Timer control to create the loop.

Draw the images: In the Timer control's event handler, use the Graphics.DrawImage method to draw each image in the array onto the form.

Set the delay: To control the speed of the animation, use the Timer control's Interval property to set the delay between each frame.

Here is an example code to help you get started:

> vbnet <
    Code:
    Private imageArray() As Image
    Private currentIndex As Integer = 0

Private Sub Form_Load()
        ' Load the images
        ReDim imageArray(3)
        imageArray(0) = Image.FromFile("image1.png")
        imageArray(1) = Image.FromFile("image2.png")
        imageArray(2) = Image.FromFile("image3.png")
        imageArray(3) = Image.FromFile("image4.png")

' Set up the animation loop
        Timer1.Interval = 100
        Timer1.Enabled = True
    End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
        ' Draw the current image
        Dim g As Graphics
        Set g = Me.CreateGraphics
        g.DrawImage imageArray(currentIndex), 0, 0

' Increment the index and wrap around to the start of the array
        currentIndex = (currentIndex + 1) Mod UBound(imageArray) + 1
    End Sub
    In this example, we load four images into an array and use a Timer control to draw the images on the form. The Timer control's Interval property is set to 100 milliseconds, which means the animation will update every 100 milliseconds. The Timer1_Timer event handler draws the current image in the array onto the form using the Graphics.DrawImage method. The currentIndex variable is used to keep track of the current image index, and it is incremented and wrapped around to the start of the array in each timer tick to create the animation loop.

END

Not bad but still not spot on. Doesn't seem to know about VB6 but still impressive.
    That's VB.Net code.....well VB.Net-ish.....That Form Load event is definitely VB6 since in VB.Net it would be Form1_Load(sender as object, e as EventArgs). The code is using GDI+ to draw as we would in .Net. Even then it's still a bit wrong. We wouldn't call CreateGraphics like that for a Form. The Paint event in WinForms has a graphics object we can use so no need to call CreateGraphics ever.

In any case, ChatGPT has trouble getting VB6 queries correctly. It's best language is Python. It very rarely gets Python queries wrong.

[EDIT]

Oh yea, and we don't have Set in VB.Net. That code is a mish-mash of VB6 and VB.Net. Seems ChatGPT is not quite sure what it is writing.
    Last edited by Niya; Feb 15th, 2023 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Lots of buzz recently about potential new Stargate content.
    God I hope not. When this whole woke phase in Hollywood is long past then I want that to happen. I don't think I could live in a world where my beloved Stargate goes woke.

https://sharegpt.com/c/dL8t8eg

Me just trying to have a normal conversation with ChatGPT.

I think you were close as to why MS didn't buy ChatGPT. I don't think it was a Musk thing, but rather that it has an open license they couldn't overlook.

I think you were close as to why MS didn't buy ChatGPT. I don't think it was a Musk thing, but rather that it has an open license they couldn't overlook.
    That would make sense too. The reason has to be compelling because I can't imagine why anyone would not want to buy one of the hottest commodities in the world right now.

I also think it's entirely possible that MS would eventually absorb them whole some time in the future.

Frankly, it has to be a powerful disincentive, at this point. After all, if MS is going to make ChatGPT the heart of a new Bing...and they don't have ownership of ChatGPT, there's got to be a pretty strong reason.

Here's another thought, what if ownership is really only a big deal to us "proletariats". Perhaps in the world of elite level business and finance it's not as important hence not worth the hassle. They could probably draw up sophisticated contracts that ensure the same benefits they would have if they owned it outright. Dilettant made a similar point about jumping through hoops earlier.

It's an interesting point of view, but history suggests that MS is totally and relentlessly acquisitive. Just look at GitHub.

Now, they appear to be building a house without owning the foundation. That's not there typical behavior. Typically, they'd buy the whole house even if all they really wanted to take the chimney and discard the rest.

Still, they must feel that whatever contracts/legal relationships they have with ChatGPT are sufficiently secure that they can build on that foundation. So, there's certainly something there.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast