Thread: Loneliness epidemic?

PowerPoster

Loneliness epidemic?

New Surgeon General Advisory Raises Alarm about the Devastating Impact of the Epidemic of Loneliness and Isolation in the United States

“Our epidemic of loneliness and isolation has been an underappreciated public health crisis that has harmed individual and societal health. Our relationships are a source of healing and well-being hiding in plain sight – one that can help us live healthier, more fulfilled, and more productive lives,” said U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy. “Given the significant health consequences of loneliness and isolation, we must prioritize building social connection the same way we have prioritized other critical public health issues such as tobacco, obesity, and substance use disorders. Together, we can build a country that’s healthier, more resilient, less lonely, and more connected.”
    I must have missed this in the news cycle when it came up. Turns out it's a bigger topic than I knew.

I wonder if other countries are seeing the same thing?
    Last edited by dilettante; Jun 5th, 2023 at 04:21 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: Lonliness epidemic?

Interesting take on this from a doctor.

I didn't think about it, but phone and drug abuse could be part of the problem.

Gen Z is lonely - here's how it shows under anesthesia -Dr. Kaveh LIVE:

Last edited by dilettante; Jun 4th, 2023 at 11:46 PM.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I wonder if other countries are seeing the same thing?
    I'd say yes. We certainly hear about it over here. Although I've been hearing it talked about for at least 20 years so I'm never sure how much of it is hyperbole. Mental health, in general, is difficult to judge because it tends to stay hidden but the impacts can be very real.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

That doctor mentions an upswing in alcoholism during the lockdown years as well, when it became a more obtainable escape than the ones that had come into vogue when states stopped enforcing federal drug abuse laws here. It sounds like that didn't recede once the supply of THC-laced gummy bears returned.

He harps on "Gen Z" there, but only because of a sharp change in people their ages with this generation. Old folks still see an uptick in loneliness, just not one out of character for their time of life.

The alcoholism over lockdown thing would certainly make sense. My consumption certainly went up and, if I'm honest, hasn't dropped back to pre-pandemic levels. I really ought to make a bit more effort but if you can't be a lush when your in your fifties then there's no joy in life.

I think associating that to loneliness could be a bit of a logical leap though. I could see it affecting a few folks who've gone full blown alcoholic and want to hide it at home but I don't see it having a measurable effect on the population as a whole.

I've no doubt the pandemic itself had a direct effect.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Get OUT of your cars and come and live in a country/county where people walk, mix and meet.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

... and court their cousins

I've been hearing about this for years, but am still not sure whether it's a thing or not. On the one hand, the younger generation are always degenerates, and it's always because of 'changes' of one sort or another. People have been saying that since ancient times. Sapator probably has some stories about it from ancient Athens. I seem to remember a few such stories from back then, but can't recall the names (and in one case, I couldn't spell it even if I could remember it). So, is this a real thing, or is it just another excuse to bash young people? I don't know, and could be pushed in either direction (though not convinced one way or the other, as I think it's just too tenuous).

There sure are a lot of people looking at phones, though.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

To be fair, just the price of phones these days is enough to send anyone into a depression spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I've been hearing about this for years, but am still not sure whether it's a thing or not. On the one hand, the younger generation are always degenerates, and it's always because of 'changes' of one sort or another. People have been saying that since ancient times. Sapator probably has some stories about it from ancient Athens. I seem to remember a few such stories from back then, but can't recall the names (and in one case, I couldn't spell it even if I could remember it). So, is this a real thing, or is it just another excuse to bash young people? I don't know, and could be pushed in either direction (though not convinced one way or the other, as I think it's just too tenuous).

There sure are a lot of people looking at phones, though.
    This is often mistakenly attributed to Plato or Socrates but it shows that "the younger generation are always degenerates" going way back:

“The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise… Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.”
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

That doctor seems to describe use of phones, alcohol, etc. as "flight" mechanisms used as alternatives to addressing isolation and isolated feelings. Perhaps less a cause of the problem than a set of coping strategies that can exacerbate the problem by defusing efforts in more positive directions.

If it isn't a "Gen Z" issue he probably would not have picked up on it as so serious in that cohort. He's addressed the same thing for all groups, but did that separate livestream to emphasize that Gen Z is different. Not just based on their current age range, he expects this to be a persistent cultural pattern.

We can harp on that all day (labor force participation is just one more persistent atypical Gen Z pattern), but the "loneliness" thing is perhaps worth splitting out and addressing across the board. There is a large older generation retiring in droves right now and subject to the more normal patterns of "loneliness." Once you add all of the people up, this probably needs to be addressed for the good of all.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jun 5th, 2023 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    ... and court their cousins
    My cleaner has webbed toes...

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I must have missed this in the news cycle when it came up. Turns out it's a bigger topic than I knew.
    This is actually old stuff. There are certain communities on the internet that have been talking about this for years. I'm actually surprised it's somewhat mainstream now. Took them a while to finally catch on.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I'd say today's devices makes isolation more attractive. There are a wide variety of things (social and non social) to entertain you without leaving your home. So the number of people choosing to be alone may be growing. Whether loneliness is growing is going to be hard to prove.

I often have joked that it use to be a punishment to be sent to your room. Now, not so much. lol

PowerPoster

In the video the anesthesiology physician tries hard to downplay the situation, probably to help people hear the message. Reality can be harsh.

But the idea that so many Gen Z patients come to and start thrashing and screaming like severe drug addicts jonesing doesn't bode well.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    This is actually old stuff. There are certain communities on the internet that have been talking about this for years. I'm actually surprised it's somewhat mainstream now. Took them a while to finally catch on.
    It hit the news because the UA Attorney General issued an "advisory" recently.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023/...ed-states.html
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    It hit the news because the UA Attorney General issued an "advisory" recently.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023/...ed-states.html
    Ah ok. Better late than never I guess. This has been a growing concern for at least 5 years now.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Well, taken in isolation, loneliness can be bad.

Very funny. Can someone please correct the subject typo? Driving me med.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Very funny. Can someone please correct the subject typo? Driving me med.
    Driving you med? As in, it's driving you to self-medicate?

PowerPoster

Re: Loneliness epidemic?

Sorry. Getting old but still fighting against high DPI settings here. Time for new glasses I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Driving you med? As in, it's driving you to self-medicate?
    I spent too long in South Africa, where, incidentally, I was very lonely.