Thread: upgrade VB6 to Blazor WebAssembly, MVC or .NET MAUI?

Question upgrade VB6 to Blazor WebAssembly, MVC or .NET MAUI?

Hello,

We have old VB6 application, which must be upgraded to newer technology. The application is related to buyer's evaluation and should be transferred to website. The language which we will use - is VB.NET (no way to be other) on .Net Core but I do not know which technology is better : Blazor WebAssembly, MVC or .NET MAUI

I found out free VS2022 projects for download - in Net7 on VB.NET and C# for Blazor WebAssembly and MVC at https://www.vblazor.com

The projects are free and included everything needed for our business needs - quick setup, CRUD, responsive web design, SEO, etc. But my problem is that there has not .NET MAUI solution.

So, my question is - do you think that .NET MAUI will be used in the future? And should we take care about it? Or just to use any of the other technologies.

And the other question - do you know somewhere VS2022 .NET MAUI projects for download, made in VB.NET?

Thanks

Frenzied Member

Re: upgrade VB6 to Blazor WebAssembly, MVC or .NET MAUI?

Fanatic Member

As with all new stuff coming from Microsoft, wait a couple of years.
    Microsoft has a reputation of throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. Also, it's obviously not complete yet - the WinUI 3 part of Maui *still* doesn't have a designer!

It's a frustrating time for developers using Microsoft UI technology. You either have legacy technologies that are no longer evolving (WinForms and WPF), or abandoned technologies (Siliverlight and UWP), or newer ones that don't quite work yet (Maui).
    Last edited by David Anton; Dec 5th, 2022 at 09:32 AM.
    David Anton
    Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java
    www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Anton View Post
    Also, it's obviously not complete yet - the WinUI 3 part of Maui *still* doesn't have a designer!
    I had looked into briefly. When I saw that there was a workaround just to change the title of a window, I told myself "yep, this isn't production ready yet".

Quote Originally Posted by David Anton View Post
    It's a frustrating time for developers using Microsoft UI technology. You either have legacy technologies that are no longer evolving (WinForms and WPF), or abandoned technologies (Siliverlight and UWP), or newer ones that don't quite work yet (Maui).
    I have gone into this time optimistically. Microsoft sunsetted Internet Explorer and made Edge the official browser, which means that Chrome "won" the browser battle. As a result, WinForm applications now use WebView2 which is chromium based instead of the old WebBrowser control.

I have made some pretty cool applications that use VB.NET WinForms as the business logic layer and the WebView2 as the UI layer. Basically taking the same approach that Ionic/Cordova takes when it comes to mobile development.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram