Thread: VB Continuity

VB Continuity

I've been a VB user for nearly 20 years. In those 20 years I've had to reinstall Windows and VB many times. I just got caught with a new problem! Win7 comes with IExplorer 4.0. When you attempt a clean reinstall of Win7 it hangs up when it attempts to download Win7 Updates because IExplorer 4 isn't recognized anymore! At least that was my experience. I'm kinda stuck with several very capable computers that won't run Win11, so I expect to need the option of having a Win7 available to reinstall VB and other products in the future. I seem to remember, from the very early days, there were procedures for installing programs (making the appropriate Registry entries manually) if the need arose. I've heard that the Win11 Registry is no different that the Win10 one. With these kinds of problems in mind, is anyone interested in creating a thread to develop mechanisms/procedures for being able to maintain a method of installing Win7 so we can guarantee having VB 6.0 available? I've run most of my VB programs with Office 2017, so the current runtime libraries still work with VB 6. If anyone else shares these problems or feels they might, please let me know!

Re: VB Continuity

VB6 should install and run on Windows 10 and 11. There are some tricks to doing this. There are threads on the VB6 forum with information on how to do this.

FYI - not that it'll make a ton of difference...

Windows 7 includes Internet Explorer 8 as part of the operating system.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ion%20dropdown.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post

Windows 7 includes Internet Explorer 8 as part of the operating system.
    Ye that was a bug by MS, they should have removed it with some service pack and never speak of it again. Also they go as high as IE11.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I've looked through all the posts and couldn't find anything useful. Can you offer any specific threads?

PowerPoster

Not an answer to the question, really, but my suggestion is to run Windows 10/11 on your PC with all latest hotfixes applied, and then run a legacy OS (such as Windows 7/Vista/XP/whatever) in a VM. I do that for several old Microsoft OS's.

For each of them, I've got the final service pack installed, and additional "hotfix rollups". Since Windows Update doesn't work on them any longer, I don't have the myriad of individual hotfixes installed. Which technically leaves them extremely vulnerable, were I to use these devices to try to browse shady websites, for example.

But, I mitigate that by not allowing any of them to access anything outside my LAN (IE, the Internet). I do that be leaving the "Default Gateway" blank in the TCP/IP configuration. That removes essentially all vulnerability for these older "unpatched" OS's.

Edit to add:

If your goal is to continue to run Windows 7 on physical PC's that aren't beefy enough to run Windows 10/11, then my same suggestion applies as far as keeping it "secure" even though it isn't fully patched. Have the Default Gateway blank in your TCP/IP configuration.

I'll note that if you are using DHCP to assign addresses to your PC's, then it will almost certainly be assigning the gateway automatically, and I don't believe you can just edit the TCP/IP settings on the PC side to remove it in that situation. In that case, you would need to assign it a static IP in the range used on your LAN, and then add an exclusion for that IP address in the DHCP configuration on whatever device is providing DHCP functionality so that address isn't handed out to some other device.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Dec 2nd, 2022 at 06:01 PM.