Thread: VS 2022 - Can't prevent drop list with members from automatically appearing in VB

Frenzied Member

VS 2022 - Can't prevent drop list with members from automatically appearing in VB

When typing code in Visual Studio 2022 a drop down box with members keeps appearing after each keyword entered. Disabling "Auto List Members" (Tools->Options) doesn't work. In fact disabling all options for each language won't disable it. Nor does disabling Intellicode options help. I have seen this issue on two different systems in VS 2022. I am unsure what other relevant info to provide at this point.

Has anyone else dealt with this and do they know how to fix this?
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Nov 27th, 2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: fixed the title

Re: VS 2022 - Can't prevent drop list with members from automatically appearing in VB

Please remember next time...elections matter!

Frenzied Member

Re: VS 2022 - Can't prevent drop list with members from automatically appearing in VB

@TysonLPrice:
    I already completely uninstalled IntelliCode. The issue persists.

You mention "after each keyword". You also mention a drop down. That doesn't sound like what the link is talking about. Also, at least when I read it, that link has a pretty amusing features, since an Ad was inserted between a "Here's what I see:" and the code that follows it.

Still, I wasn't sure what you were talking about, so I went into VS2022 and tried it out. I went to a line where I declared an object. I added a line below that and started typing a copy of the preceding line, with a different variable name:

Dim tT As

When I typed the As, I got a drop down that told me something about the As, which was totally useless to me. It had some icons that didn't seem to do anything, along with a bit of text as to what As meant.

I then hit the space bar and got Intellisense offering me....EVERYTHING, because of course, at that point I was clearly going to enter a type, but there was no reasonable guess as to what the type would be.

Those two drop downs (the one I got for the As and the Intellisense offering up every imaginable type) appear to be two different things filling two different roles. I have no idea what the As drop down was supposed to be doing, since it is so singularly useless, while the second does appear to be Intellisense, though equally useless in this example.

Were you talking about one of those two? Did the Intellisense drop down go away when you turned off Intellisense?

I believe that I hadn't noticed these because VS is already trying so doggone hard to be helpful that it's often doing things that have to be ignored. I think I was just in the habit of overlooking those things.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

IntelliCode is different from IntelliSense.

IntelliSense provides autocompletion on various keywords and has been around since I think 2005 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). IntelliCode is relatively new and is basically the machine learning version of IntelliSense in an attempt to help offer you better suggestions.

The IntelliSense autocompletion can be turned off by:
    1. Opening the Tools > Options window
    2. Expanding the Text Editor > Visual Basic tree nodes and selecting General
    3. Uncheck the auto list members option
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Frenzied Member

@Shaggy Hiker: It seems you have the same issue as I do.
    @dday9: Already did that. Does nothing.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Dec 8th, 2022 at 08:58 AM.

I don't know what to tell you then, because I was able to replicate the autocomplete window using the steps outlined by Shaggy but once I unchecked the auto list members option I was no longer able to replicate it.

Turn it off and back on again?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Frenzied Member

Tried that. Here's a screenshot btw: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...z7?usp=sharing