Thread: Inked.dll crashes simple VB6 app

Inked.dll crashes simple VB6 app

This is my first post. I'm a little ragged around the edges right now so forgive me if mess up. You folks have helped me a lot over the past few years, and I really appreciate it. But I got a problem I can't figure out with the Inked control on Win10 and Win11.

Inked keeps crashing on me. Use it in a document creation app that requires unicode for translating blocks of text. I probably use over 100 distinct inked controls on my form. The problem first cropped up latter versions of Win10. Kept getting "Out of memory" and "Automation" errors. I was able to skirt the prob by reducing the number of Inked controls by half. But now with Win11, it crashes no matter what.

I'm compiling the app on the VB6 IDE on a 2012R2 VM.

Name:  inked-comp.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  inked-version.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  33.0 KB

The inked.dll in the <c:\windows\syswow64> on the Win11 VM is a lot newer than the one I'm compiling for, so I include the older inked.dll and register it.

Name:  ink-run.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  34.5 KB

Even tried bumping the system and user path variables to see if the app would pick up the older inked.dll first. No bueno.

So I copied the Win11 inked.dll from C:\Windows\SysWow64 to my dev VM, but the VB6 IDE won't let register it as a dll or add it as a component.

So I guess my question is, how do i get this 32bit VB6 app to use the newer inked control on Win10 and Win11 boxes?

The project below demos the problem:

InkEdTest.zip

PowerPoster

Re: Inked.dll crashes simple VB6 app

You aren't using ink recognition, so disable it for your InkEd controls. Don't use more than a few, may be 5 or 10 tops, 20 at the most.

Never try to play fast and loose replacing system files with those snagged from other versions of Windows. At best Windows will heal the tampering, at worst programs will start crashing. Why would you even think this was safe or reasonable?

I retained the ability to change them back to their original state.

So I copied the Win11 inked.dll from C:\Windows\SysWow64 to my dev VM
    I also didn't place the Win11 version in any system folder. If the exe running the newer inkedit control did work, I suppose that tells me something. Not sure what. But it didn't seem to matter, so I put everything back the way it was.

Dilettante.. Should a VB6 app be able to use an InkEdit control in Win11 directly? Or do I need to make a c# com interop control and call it from VB6? I'm really scraping here for how to handle this.

PowerPoster

Well first try using the current installed version. dil is right, bad idea installing a separate older one.

Is the need for the InkEdit control only to have unicode capabilities?
    You also say you have about 100 instances of the control on your form.
    Do you use it to create a grid? In that case better use the MSHFlexGrid control.

@Arnoutdv The app is for creating Safety Data Sheets (SDS) required by OSHA. The reason for InkEd controls is to allow for language translation that we managed to shoehorn in to the existing app, thus prompting the need for InkEdit. We needed unicode for non western languages along with rich text to allow users to take advantage of custom content. You know, fonts, colors, tables, pics etc etc for some of the fields in the document (but not all).

So I'm a big circles and arrows person. I could type all day long, but here's a link to the help file to give you an idea of what it does.

https://helpdoc.imagewave.com/sdswri...plaintext.html

The first pic you see in the link, is the editor. There are 17 sections (tree control on the left), that the user navigates to fill out all of the sections required by the SDS. I've attached a couple translated PDFs so you can see the output. So there is a lot going on.

German.pdf

Japanese-sm_opt2.pdf