Thread: Can't Dim walls

Can't Dim walls

Tried
    Dim walls = {wall1, wall2, wall3, wall4}
    But it says: Array initializers are valid only for arrays, but the type of 'wall' is 'Object'.

Re: Can't Dim walls

Uh.... walls is not dim'ed as an array.

See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/do...atures/arrays/
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

So how can I do it?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    Uh.... walls is not dim'ed as an array.

See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/do...atures/arrays/
    You know, that was my first thought. But this doesn't error and I have option strict On

Code:
            Dim wall1 As Object, wall2 As Object
            wall1 = "something"
            wall2 = 12345
            Dim walls = {wall1, wall2}

There is 30 walls, I can't do that to 30 walls

Quote Originally Posted by Greogri View Post
    Tried
    Dim walls = {wall1, wall2, wall3, wall4}
    But it says: Array initializers are valid only for arrays, but the type of 'wall' is 'Object'.
    Is that the exact code giving the error and the exact error message? Seems strange the error message refers to "wall" but nowhere in the line of code you posted do you have anything declared as "wall".

How are wall1, wall2, etc declared?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Is that the exact code giving the error and the exact error message? Seems strange the error message refers to "wall" but nowhere in the line of code you posted do you have anything declared as "wall".

How are wall1, wall2, etc declared?
    Good catch

How about just detectíng the color of the wall. If your sprite detects the color, it will not cross. Then you wont have to worry about creating so many objects.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Nov 22nd, 2022 at 01:50 PM.