Thread: Small Wireless Monitor

Small Wireless Monitor

I was just at a conference where we got talking about some ideas of new fish sampling tech. One of the ideas we came up with would be made much better if a certain type of device existed, I'm just not sure whether it does, so I figured I'd ask on here to see if anybody has some suggestions.

I determined that I need to have a Windows OS device running some software, but I don't know of one that is down around the 8", or smaller, form factor. Therefore, an alternative would be for the device to be located in a backpack, with a wireless display that could be mounted on your arm. So, what I'm asking about is this: Is there a screen that can be used as a wireless display for a Windows OS system that is in the size range of 8", or less, and is reasonably light?

One option would be using an Android tablet, but whether such a tablet can display the output from a Windows device, I don't know. The more obvious option would be a wireless monitor. All the ones I have seen are for much more reasonable usage than I am intending, and are FAR too large, though some are quite reasonable in weight.

The goal is small, light, portable (battery powered, or powerable), and capable of displaying the output of a Windows device like a Surface Pro. Any suggestions?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Re: Small Wireless Monitor

Look at a Raspberry PI .... there's monitors that can be attached to them, I've seen as small at 3.5" and as large as 7" ... some even as touch screens .... and it's possible to run a form of Windows on them too....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I was just at a conference where we got talking about some ideas of new fish sampling tech. One of the ideas we came up with would be made much better if a certain type of device existed, I'm just not sure whether it does, so I figured I'd ask on here to see if anybody has some suggestions.

I determined that I need to have a Windows OS device running some software, but I don't know of one that is down around the 8", or smaller, form factor. Therefore, an alternative would be for the device to be located in a backpack, with a wireless display that could be mounted on your arm. So, what I'm asking about is this: Is there a screen that can be used as a wireless display for a Windows OS system that is in the size range of 8", or less, and is reasonably light?

One option would be using an Android tablet, but whether such a tablet can display the output from a Windows device, I don't know. The more obvious option would be a wireless monitor. All the ones I have seen are for much more reasonable usage than I am intending, and are FAR too large, though some are quite reasonable in weight.

The goal is small, light, portable (battery powered, or powerable), and capable of displaying the output of a Windows device like a Surface Pro. Any suggestions?
    Search for "Miracast": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

I don't think I can go with the Raspberry Pi option. This pretty much has to be something off the shelf, or else I throw myself into a world of tech support that I really want to avoid. There would be roughly a dozen different groups using this in remote areas. If they can be directed to some hardware to buy, they are capable of that. If it requires much more than that...I'm not so sanguine. I would assume that the Raspberry Pi option is not quite ready to go out of the box.

I looked into Miracast, which led me to AirScreen. That looks like it might do very well. It looks like it would allow us to use a Samsung ActiveTab as an 8" remote monitor for a Windows tablet that could be kept out of sight.