Thread: Corporate Reality of "Open Source"

PowerPoster

Corporate Reality of "Open Source"

Anyone who is honest already knows that big players pushed "open source" as a way to stifle innovation and competition from small players and writing off proprietary R&D as "charitable" and tax deductible almost from the start.

Now we have a new example that takes these things to new heights:

Matter V1.0 Announced

The major investors in home IoT, Apple, Google, Amazon and Samsung, have nothing to gain by adopting a standard that allows their devices to work together and yet this is exactly what has happened.
    Really? Can you say oligopoly? I think you can!

The whole thing is supposed to be open source - which it is, but it's a flavour of open source that suits big companies better than small ones. You can't get the specification unless you provide details of your company, consent to a privacy policy and promise not to redistribute the spec.
    Not to mention that the "great" thing about stealthing IPv6 into home networks this way is that IPv6 can't really hide behind conventional NAT routers.

So Apple bribed up an alliance. One that by pure coincidence benefits the Three Letter Agency partners that lurk behind it. All while screwing over the little guys.

Re: Corporate Reality of "Open Source"

Well, that's the most pessimistic take on it.

Just out of curiosity, who are the little guys, in this case?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Well we know who the big guys are. So that leaves the rest who are far smaller.

IoT has opened up some well known security holes. An open source standard seems like a viable approach to everybody rolling up one-off security attempts. Whether or not THIS standard is a good approach is a matter I don't have an opinion on, but everybody trying it out for themselves doesn't seem like a good approach.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I'm not sure what makes "all of your eggs in one basket" such a viable security strategy.