Thread: make more beautiful

Lively Member

make more beautiful

The code works as it should, but I think you can make it shorter and cleaner. Can someone please help me?

Code:
     For i = 0 To dgvplugins.Rows.Count - 1
                        Try

If dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(1).Value = dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(2).Value Then
                                dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(1).Style.ForeColor = System.Drawing.Color.LightGreen
                                dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(4) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.ok_16green}

Else

dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(1).Style.ForeColor = System.Drawing.Color.DeepPink

dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(4) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.warningrund_16}

If dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(3).Value = "cf" Then
                                    dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.codefling}
                                ElseIf dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(3).Value = "cc" Then
                                    dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.chaoscode}
                                ElseIf dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(3).Value = "ld" Then
                                    dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.lonedesign}
                                ElseIf dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(3).Value = "mv" Then
                                    dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.myvector}
                                ElseIf dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(3).Value = "um" Then
                                    dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.umod}

dgvplugins.Rows(i).Cells(6) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.arrow_158_16}
                                End If
                            End If
                        Catch ex As Exception
                        End Try
                    Next

Re: make more beautiful

How about you explain what you're trying to achieve, instead of making us all work it out from the code?

Lively Member

Thought that was obvious because the code is so bad.

Don't know what there is to explain.
    I add a new row to the DataGridView.

Then in the added row I want to compare cell 1 and 2.
    If cell 1 and 2 are the same, then change the ForeColor in cell 1 to LightGreen and insert an image in cell 4

If cell 1 and 2 are not the same, then change the ForeColor in cell 1 to DeepPink and insert an image in cell 4 and 6.

Then in the same row check cell 3 for a text.
    If e.g. in cell 3 cf is written, then in cell 5 the image codefling should be added.

The code works, but I think you can make it shorter/cleaner/better.

Option Strict Off should be like this for now.

The code can be shortened using With .. End With blocks
    And by replacing the long If .. ElseIF .. block
    Code:
    ' Just a small part 
    With dgvplugins.Rows(i)
      Select Case .Cells(3).Value 
    	case "cf": .Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.codefling}
    	case "cc": .Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.chaoscode}
    	case "ld": .Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.lonedesign}
    	case "mv": .Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.myvector}
    	case "um" 
    		.Cells(5) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.umod}
    		.Cells(6) = New DataGridViewImageCell With {.Value = My.Resources.arrow_158_16}			
      End Select
    End With

Moderator Actions - Moved thread to Code It Better forum.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram