Thread: How do I quickly find a form?

Fanatic Member

How do I quickly find a form?

So here's the thing... Back on Day 1 somebody suggested I name all my forms starting with frmXXXXX. So frmAbout, frmBegin, etc. I have about 200 forms in my project. Normally if I wanted to find a form called "Utilities" I could click on the first form in Project Explorer, type a U and be instantly zoomed through the list of forms to the U's and there would be Utilities. Except as I mentioned, they all start with frm. So I could click on the first one, type a U and nope. Or I could type F and move to the next form and the next. Basically I'm down to scrolling through a list.

Two questions...

First, who's bright idea was it to name them all frmXXX? I know it was one of you! Confess!

Next, is there any way around this so I can quickly zoom to the form I'm looking for?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance. (except the the frm guy - you can go burn in hell! (Just kidding! I love all you guys.))

PowerPoster

Re: How do I quickly find a form?

The project-tree is "Full-length-searchable" -
    meaning you have to continue typing as e.g.:
    <f><<r><m><a>
    and the Tree-Selection should jump to: frmAbout

This works the same way also with modules and class-entries in the Tree...

HTH

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbob View Post
    First, who's bright idea was it to name them all frmXXX? I know it was one of you! Confess!
    It's an older form of naming that most of us don't do any more. Probably some kind of carry over from Hungarian Notation that was in fashion at the time. I don't think anyone recommends it any more, regardless of language.
    But, I suspect that it also comes from a form of organization - VB6 solutiuon explorter doesn't support folders if I remember right, so to group all the forms together to "make them easier to find" the solution was to use "frm" as the prefix, "mod" for modules, and so on. It also means you can have "fromUtils" and "modUtils" ... Thinking about it now though... it might make more sense to use "UtilsFrm" and "UtilsMod" ... reads better "Utilities Form" "Utilities Module" ... shrug... at the end of the day though, it's your shop, your rules. Use what naming scheme works best for you.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Use what naming scheme works best for you.

-tg
    Accordingly, supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    Accordingly, supported.
    frmAbout suits me perfectly, thanks. Of course “full-length” search is available in every tree-view, list-view and listbox since NT4.

Sometimes I doubt most of the people here are secretly running Linux and then run VBIDE under Wine or something.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    frmAbout suits me perfectly, thanks.
    Yes, for me too....

Frenzied Member

Nothing to beat keeping a simple list of forms and dscriptions in eg a Word Document. All my projects have either a separate ring or paper file (remember those thin white things?), or a list as remarks at the start of frmMain (or frmMenu), where I also note any references.
    Thanks all !

You can also check the Large Project Organiser add in by ColinE66:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....o-sub-classing