Thread: News for VB.NET!!!

News for VB.NET!!!

For hundreds of thousands of programmers who have chosen VB.NET as their programming language of choice, we have news!!!

Anthony G, pre-released ModVB, a modified VB compiler that can be added to VB projects as a nuget, to offer more features for VB.

https://anthonydgreen.net/2022/08/20/introducing-modvb/

ModVB “Wave 1”—JSON Literals & Pattern Matching
    https://anthonydgreen.net/2022/08/20...tern-matching/

Re: News for VB.NET!!!

Hi,

This probably going to sound infantile...

Please define 'Hive'.

Poppa
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Mintin View Post
    Hi,

This probably going to sound infantile...

Please define 'Hive'.

Poppa
    I've looked at the original post over and over....where do you see 'hive'?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

It's actually in the article, not the post. "Start Visual Studio from a new hive" ...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Well Hive I have always associated with the Registry. From Google:
    A hive in the Windows Registry is the name given to a major section of the registry that contains registry keys, registry subkeys, and registry values.

All keys that are considered hives begin with "HKEY" and are at the root, or the top of the hierarchy in the registry, which is why they're also sometimes called root keys or core system hives.

To use a more common term, a hive is like a starting folder in the registry. Everything in the registry is ultimately contained in various hives.

I don't know if this helps, but I was pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with bees....

It seems like VS stores data in a private Registry file, so the "hive" business may relate to that. Starting from a new hive may mean generating a new private Registry file.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...tudio-instance

Thanks guys,

I wondered if it just meant making a new folder and installing a separate instance of VS in there ?

Because this is not a question, more of an announcement, I have moved this thread to the General Development forum.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Because this is not a question, more of an announcement, I have moved this thread to the General Development forum.
    And I've had no answers to my question since !

The article explains how to launch VS in a new hive, unless your question was something different.
    Open the Visual Studio 2022 Developer Command prompt (Start > “Dev…”)
    Enter the command `devenv /rootSuffix ModVB`
    it is under Step 1. Launch Visual Studio in a new Hive. It even explains why as part of that section

Great....now I'm gonna have another reason to procrastinate on moving to C# permanently.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Frenzied Member

looking at the announcement it looks like its simply a separately names space that he suggested working in to protect your original workspace.

He set it when opening the IDE and was able to use it or the original workspace.

Kind of like working in a sandpit to protect stuff or creating and resourcing a version for a particular purpose.

just thinking out loud

I think that would be sandbox, not sandpit. I wouldn't normally point that out, but this could be a case where different cultures use different terms, and that would be interesting. In the US, the term sandbox fits your description. Sandpits, by contrast, seem to have a variety of meanings, several of them being kind of negative, though not in a very bad way.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Banned

Visual Basic highlights include:

Debugging: In Visual Studio 2022, as developers move a cursor within the left margin, a dot will appear that can be clicked to find available types of breakpoints to insert, including: conditional, tracepoint, temporary and dependent breakpoints.
    Editor: Dollard said a number of new features in the editor make everyday coding smoother and more efficient, including:
    Subword navigation: "You probably use Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right to move one word to the left and right. In Visual Studio 2022, you can use Ctrl-Alt-Left and Ctrl-Alt-Right to move left and right by parts of words (supports the Pascal style of symbol naming)."

Inheritance Margin: "The inheritance margin adds icons to the left margin representing where code is derived from other code, and where other code derives from this code."
    Underline reassigned: "The new underline reassigned feature is for folks that want to know whether variables are reassigned, or remain set to their initial value."