Thread: adtg ado database

Hyperactive Member

Question adtg ado database

recently seen a post that used an adtg ado database and looked interesting.
    then i tried to find an app that i could use to view or edit these files but only found a mention to Visual Studio Code? Anyone know if any free specfic app that can edit these files.

i usually use mdb files so store data , but would using adtg file use less resources, is quicker etc.

i am looking to store a few fields ie Filename, DirFolder , Hash , DateTaken so nothing complex.

Is there any benefit to using adtg rather than mdb

tks

Re: adtg ado database

VSCode is free... don't confuse it with Visual Studio... they are not the same thing. Download and install VSCode, find and install an appropriate extension, and you should be good to go from there.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    VSCode is free... don't confuse it with Visual Studio... they are not the same thing. Download and install VSCode, find and install an appropriate extension, and you should be good to go from there.

-tg
    unfortunatley i dont see an extension that i could use.

on the url https://filenp.com/extension/adtg it just says Microsoft Visual Studio. i must have put code at the end by mistake.

I dont really want to install Microsoft Visual Studio. Is there anything else that can edit these files.

tks

PowerPoster

ADTG is a persistence format supported by ADO Recordsets. You can also use the bulkier plain-text XML format that it has as an alternative.

Since many Providers don't support persisted Recordsets you might have to use the Cursor Service (client-side cursor, adUseClient) instead of an actual database connection (adUseServer). For fabricated Recordsets with no active Connection at all you of course have to use the Cursor Service.

See the ADO documentation. There is information under the Recordset's Save and Open methods as well as elsewhere there.

At least that's what I think you may mean by "adtg ado" above.

This might be more compact than MDB files for simple stuff but it has limitations. No SQL query support, no constraints or indexes or defaults or expressions or grouping or aggregations or relations (and on and on). There are also techniques you need to apply after updates to apply pending changes that involve Update and UpdateBatch calls.

After opening a saved Recordset you can also use Field objects' "Optimize" dynamic property (in its Properties collection) to establish a temporary index to make Filter, Find, Sort quicker for large Recordsets.

Most of the best information isn't hosted by Microsoft any more. A lot of it is included in the October 2001 MSDN CD documentation. There also used to be a series of books and powerpoints by Rob MacDonald of Microsoft back 20+ years ago. His "Disconnecting ADO or ADO Unplugged" was a quick overview of some of the features available.

PowerPoster

What VSCode might have to do with this escapes me completely.

Quote Originally Posted by k_zeon View Post
    ... found a mention to Visual Studio Code? Anyone know if any free specfic app that can edit these files....
    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    What VSCode might have to do with this escapes me completely.
    the original post mentioned Visual Studio Code - VSCode ... so I thought he had found something that said it could be done but was resisting to do so. Sounds like it was a case of miscommunication.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Or maybe my wild guess was way off.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    ADTG is a persistence format supported by ADO Recordsets. You can also use the bulkier plain-text XML format that it has as an alternative.

Since many Providers don't support persisted Recordsets you might have to use the Cursor Service (client-side cursor, adUseClient) instead of an actual database connection (adUseServer). For fabricated Recordsets with no active Connection at all you of course have to use the Cursor Service.

See the ADO documentation. There is information under the Recordset's Save and Open methods as well as elsewhere there.

At least that's what I think you may mean by "adtg ado" above.

This might be more compact than MDB files for simple stuff but it has limitations. No SQL query support, no constraints or indexes or defaults or expressions or grouping or aggregations or relations (and on and on). There are also techniques you need to apply after updates to apply pending changes that involve Update and UpdateBatch calls.

After opening a saved Recordset you can also use Field objects' "Optimize" dynamic property (in its Properties collection) to establish a temporary index to make Filter, Find, Sort quicker for large Recordsets.

Most of the best information isn't hosted by Microsoft any more. A lot of it is included in the October 2001 MSDN CD documentation. There also used to be a series of books and powerpoints by Rob MacDonald of Microsoft back 20+ years ago. His "Disconnecting ADO or ADO Unplugged" was a quick overview of some of the features available.
    OK, tk for the info. as i mentioned in previous post, i did say Visual Studio Code, but that was a mistake, it should have read Visual Studio.

think i may just stick with access db

I think adtg will be benefited.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mst Rima Khatun View Post
    I think adtg will be benefited.
    if only there was an app that i could edit these files with like access then i probably would for simple 1 table records.

What do you mean with 1 table records?
    And what is your goal?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    What do you mean with 1 table records?
    And what is your goal?
    so i have made an app to backup image files based on metadata. I have thousands.
    I want to create create a record of all the images that i have copied to a new location based on the metadata
    and still keep the origonals.
    Next time i run a scan on a folder, i want the ones in the database to either not show in the list or show them as marked as processed.
    At the moment, i am still getting the info from each origonal image and extracting the meta data and then comparing the filename with the new location
    I am also looking at hashing the image and also storeing this info.
    that way i can check by a filename or Hash against a file that potentially already exists.

I think comparing a filename with a database entry will be quicker that extracting said meta data and comparing the final filename

something like

C:\Origonal Images\pic12345.jpg to D:\Image Library\2022\1.January\pic12345 (22-01-2022 14-22-13).jpg

once i have run a scan to detect new or unprocessed images , will copy the unprocessed images to the Image Library.

hope it makes sense

The why not just use an MDB file (aka an MS Access file)?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    The why not just use an MDB file (aka an MS Access file)?
    that was one of my initial questions.
    What would be better to use. adtg or mdb and why?
    Which would be more efficient and use less resources.
    Would i need any drivers pre installed to use adtg or it just works.
    with MSAccess , it would need office installed to work.

these were some of the questions.

but i will use MDB as my app is possibly only for me to use. tks

For MDB files you only need a reference to ADO, Access is not needed at all

PowerPoster

Well, you need ADO or DAO. But you also need the database engine and its satellite IISAMs and other bits and bobs. However the Jet 4.0 pieces, just like ADO, have been part of Windows for a very long time.

ACE is another story. The MS Office johnnies created that as a private label extended version of Jet. No version of the ACE bits come preinstalled in any version of Windows.

Jet itself is independent of MS Access, and indeed letting Access touch a clean Jet MDB causes useless private crud to be inserted that you don't want or need.