Thread: [RESOLVED] Get Extended details of video device used

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Get Extended details of video device used

as the title reads, i am getting info from a video file and cannot seem to identify what device it was recorded on.

Usually from a phone and for camera i can get the phone model using namespace, but do not see the same option for Video

can anyone advise?

tks
    Last edited by k_zeon; Sep 25th, 2022 at 09:24 AM.

Frenzied Member

Re: Get Extended details of video device used

Could you provide more info? What do you have that does work? What video formats?

Frenzied Member

well not sure u can.
    if theres some info in the meta-data, but no all video format has that.
    like mp3, u can include a cover, but not all mp3 has that. the same with information about author etc.

PowerPoster

If you're sure the video files even have that field, you might need a different property handler. The default Windows one doesn't expose all properties.

If you can see it in Explorer or the property page (Details), you can get it programmatically, if not you might need a different handler, e.g. https://sourceforge.net/projects/taglibhandler/

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    If you're sure the video files even have that field, you might need a different property handler. The default Windows one doesn't expose all properties.

If you can see it in Explorer or the property page (Details), you can get it programmatically, if not you might need a different handler, e.g. https://sourceforge.net/projects/taglibhandler/
    re the field , i dont know if it does. Was asking if anyone new if it was even possible.
    as i said, i can get this from an image file but now even sure if a video file even has this as a field somewhere.

As a family we have different phones with images & videos.
    So making a backup based on file dates & times etc. all to the same master library.

I dont want to put one phones videos in its own folder, rather i want to have something like

Video Library/2022/1.January/video filename 12-09-2022 - phonemodel.mp4 ( or phonename)

tks

PowerPoster

I don't think it is retained in a video file, or in any case Windows doesn't seem to extract it:

Video (Windows Property System)

Even if it is in the files the info recorded in there depends on the recording software used on the phone. This isn't like using a dedicated video camcorder.

Contrast that with the Photo property set, which does have camera manufacturer and model. Still, with a phone we're back in the same situation: dependent upon the software used to report and report the truth.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I don't think it is retained in a video file, or in any case Windows doesn't seem to extract it:

Video (Windows Property System)

Even if it is in the files the info recorded in there depends on the recording software used on the phone. This isn't like using a dedicated video camcorder.

Contrast that with the Photo property set, which does have camera manufacturer and model. Still, with a phone we're back in the same situation: dependent upon the software used to report and report the truth.
    ok, tks. thats what i thought might be the case