Thread: VB6 on Win 10 64bit

VB6 on Win 10 64bit

Is there a guide to installing VB6 SP6 on Windows 10 64bit?

Re: VB6 on Win 10 64bit

There are multiple threads dealing with this topic

PowerPoster

First execute SETUP.EXE normally until you see the error. If it ask to restart, do it and run again.
    Then, from the SETUP folder, copy VS98ENT.STF as acmsetup.stf (or it may be VB98ENT.STF).
    Execute ACMSETUP.EXE as admin.
    In options 'Custom', uncheck VC++, Fox and non Vb things (not sure it that is necessary).
    In Data Access, uncheck ADO, RDS and the last one: Data Environment
    In Enterprise Tools (in case you have it) uncheck Visual Component Manager and the last one: Visual Studio Analyzer
    Uncheck Ole/Com Objewct Viewer.
    It may install the Java Virtual Machine and ask to restart. In that case do it and run again.

Once installed, without error messages, you need to also install SP6.
    Uncompress the files for SP6.
    Rename or copy sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf
    Excecute ACMSETUP.EXE as admin.

After installed, go to the VB6 install folder under Program files x86, and delete or rename DATAVIEW.DLL (to avoid an error from ~object~ message).

PowerPoster

Why would you not install the OLE Viewer, it works fine and is super useful. A lot of the tools that get installed with C++ are useful too. Trying to install the JVM usually results in setup failing... put a 0-byte msjava.dll in Windows\SysWOW64 before starting setup.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Why would you not install the OLE Viewer, it works fine and is super useful. A lot of the tools that get installed with C++ are useful too. Trying to install the JVM usually results in setup failing... put a 0-byte msjava.dll in Windows\SysWOW64 before starting setup.
    I listed the instructions that I have noted down for me. Some are because I don't use any of those tools and other are because they cause problems. But since I didn't write down why I include each one in the list (and I forgot), I simply listed all like I have and works fine for me.

I never used the OLE Viewer, what is it useful for?

Addicted Member

On VBcorner there is still the (free) VB6 Installer of the late Giorgio Brausi (GiBra).

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    I listed the instructions that I have noted down for me. Some are because I don't use any of those tools and other are because they cause problems. But since I didn't write down why I include each one in the list (and I forgot), I simply listed all like I have and works fine for me.

I never used the OLE Viewer, what is it useful for?
    I use it for viewing type libraries where I only have the TLB or it's embedded in a compiled binary. It produces it as an IDL text source you can copy out to modify/use in other projects.

It will also show you full implemented interfaces lists for some COM objects... like the ShellLibrary object representing system libraries, you can see all the undocumented interfaces it supports, which is useful when designing projects that interact with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    First execute SETUP.EXE normally until you see the error. If it ask to restart, do it and run again.
    Then, from the SETUP folder, copy VS98ENT.STF as acmsetup.stf (or it may be VB98ENT.STF).
    Execute ACMSETUP.EXE as admin.
    In options 'Custom', uncheck VC++, Fox and non Vb things (not sure it that is necessary).
    In Data Access, uncheck ADO, RDS and the last one: Data Environment
    In Enterprise Tools (in case you have it) uncheck Visual Component Manager and the last one: Visual Studio Analyzer
    Uncheck Ole/Com Objewct Viewer.
    It may install the Java Virtual Machine and ask to restart. In that case do it and run again.

Once installed, without error messages, you need to also install SP6.
    Uncompress the files for SP6.
    Rename or copy sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf
    Excecute ACMSETUP.EXE as admin.

After installed, go to the VB6 install folder under Program files x86, and delete or rename DATAVIEW.DLL (to avoid an error from ~object~ message).
    Thanks!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    I use it for viewing type libraries where I only have the TLB or it's embedded in a compiled binary. It produces it as an IDL text source you can copy out to modify/use in other projects.

It will also show you full implemented interfaces lists for some COM objects... like the ShellLibrary object representing system libraries, you can see all the undocumented interfaces it supports, which is useful when designing projects that interact with them.
    Ah, yes, I know now what it is. I used it a couple of times. But it was not near as useful (for me) as EditTLB.exe from PowerVB.

Quote Originally Posted by revo3743 View Post
    Thanks!