Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W11 idiotic.

King of sapila

W11 idiotic.

Where's JMC?

Anyhow leaving aside tons and tons on micro annoyances that I'm fixing with registry or independent patches (p.e. clock not having seconds, no real clock, taskbar big icons, the classic center start BS etc).
    The latest "marvel" ... OH OK latest patch won't let me connect from Remote desktop (it opens fast, do something and closes), another marvel.
    Anyhow I opened visual studio and this is what I saw https://im.ge/i/OPvkg1
    Lol. Ilike big icons andIcannotlie.

Note I'm on the latest patches. Today patches.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: W11 idiotic.

I just bought and installed my latest PC as my latest stage in weaning myself from Windows altogether.

My most powerful PC with a decent CPU, a few spare cores, good GPU (GTX1080) and plenty of disc space.

The aim is to run all the main open source apps I am familiar with (FF, Thunderbird &c) and to find close-fit replacements for my other usual utilities, then finally to migrate my usage away from Win 7 onto a supported O/S that I can use without the continuous frustration of having to put up with MicroDolt's latest inane UI failure.

I will retain a number of VMs to allow me to operate my legacy apps, older versions of Photoshop &c on Win7/R. It won't be an instant migration as that would be too painful but I am starting the withdrawal.

Windows died for me during the Win8 tragedy. Win10 was a firming up of the direction - the wrong one. Win 11 I cannot use it. Kubuntu is my new home.

Windows is the legacy o/s and Linux, sadly has to be the future, roll on TwinBasic/RadBasic/OlafBasic and come to Linux!

The machine is plugged in and ready to go. It is just down to me now... Join me.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

King of sapila

I can't join as I cannot put linux in the company and take the time to explain why I did it (eventually it will come down to have to re install the PC with windows)
    Also using an SSD at home on windows7 works like a charm so the only time that I might need w10, that I have, on laptop, is when I play newer games (currently on divinity original sin's dilogy)

P.S. Windows died for me, the first time I saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Also using an SSD at home on windows7 works like a charm so the only time that I might need w10, that I have, on laptop, is when I play newer games
    My situation exactly. I just don't have to follow the corporate world, a juggernaut whose direction is hard to alter.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

The Windows 11 Debacle still annoys me. Windows 10 was promised to be the last version, but clearly the hardware peddlers want to force you to Buy More Stuff and Microsoft has plenty of nepotistic idiots glad to comply so they can move the deckchairs around and generally justify their existence.

So they moved crap around, thumped the tub harder for the market-rejected Metro crap (still called UWP this week?) they should have long ago killed off, and of course added new hardware requirements so you have to Buy More Stuff.

We're left with 3 years now before our old machines have the knife twisted in their guts.

Between unwanted bloat (Win 11 itself, the ever piggier Dot Not Fumbleworks mandatory virus attack surface and security update nightmare, non-IE browsers, etc.) and inflation... it costs more to Buy More Stuff now too.

But we don't really have a choice. That means jumping now so you can figure out enough tweaks and work-arounds to make Win11 viable at all. So I am currently Buying More Stuff since of course it refuses to install on any of my existing hardware.

They could have at least alleviated a little of the pain if they had removed the mandatory Dot Not Tax.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber;[URL="tel:5578333"
    5578333[/URL]]I just bought and installed my latest PC as my latest stage in weaning myself from Windows altogether.

My most powerful PC with a decent CPU, a few spare cores, good GPU (GTX1080) and plenty of disc space.

The aim is to run all the main open source apps I am familiar with (FF, Thunderbird &c) and to find close-fit replacements for my other usual utilities, then finally to migrate my usage away from Win 7 onto a supported O/S that I can use without the continuous frustration of having to put up with MicroDolt's latest inane UI failure.

I will retain a number of VMs to allow me to operate my legacy apps, older versions of Photoshop &c on Win7/R. It won't be an instant migration as that would be too painful but I am starting the withdrawal.

Windows died for me during the Win8 tragedy. Win10 was a firming up of the direction - the wrong one. Win 11 I cannot use it. Kubuntu is my new home.

Windows is the legacy o/s and Linux, sadly has to be the future, roll on TwinBasic/RadBasic/OlafBasic and come to Linux!

The machine is plugged in and ready to go. It is just down to me now... Join me.
    Ubuntu on KDE? My condolences. Replacing one heavyweight with another.

Manjaro with Cinnamon for me the last 3 years.
    never looked back to Ubuntu/Debian.
    With a few themes pretty close to Win7.
    Install VirtualBox, and you‘re set for life
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

I hate the snap tech on Ubuntu. After tinkering with several distros, I keep coming back to Mint with Cinnamon. For it me it was much smoother and responsive.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I used to use Minted Cinnamon and Slax in the past. However, I have a widget (plasmoid) for plasma that I need to test and update, https://store.kde.org/p/1002162/

- and to do that Kubuntu was the safe bet as it previously worked on that platform. Kubuntu was a good choice for me as I have used it before and it was stable, had a 'feel' that was not too alien and I could steampunk it.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    The Windows 11 Debacle still annoys me. Windows 10 was promised to be the last version, but clearly the hardware peddlers want to force you to Buy More Stuff and Microsoft has plenty of nepotistic idiots glad to comply so they can move the deckchairs around and generally justify their existence.

So they moved crap around, thumped the tub harder for the market-rejected Metro crap (still called UWP this week?) they should have long ago killed off, and of course added new hardware requirements so you have to Buy More Stuff.

We're left with 3 years now before our old machines have the knife twisted in their guts.

Between unwanted bloat (Win 11 itself, the ever piggier Dot Not Fumbleworks mandatory virus attack surface and security update nightmare, non-IE browsers, etc.) and inflation... it costs more to Buy More Stuff now too.

But we don't really have a choice. That means jumping now so you can figure out enough tweaks and work-arounds to make Win11 viable at all. So I am currently Buying More Stuff since of course it refuses to install on any of my existing hardware.

They could have at least alleviated a little of the pain if they had removed the mandatory Dot Not Tax.
    Yep.
    It's the system making us consumers beings. You get a new phone as it's been released with almost the same features but you "need" to get it. You install then new windows because you need to, you want to give out your car and get a Tesla because it's cool, even if sometimes blows up, you have to use wind generators because of the climate change and green energy (although they include almost exclusively non recyclable materials) etc.
    We are becoming more and more crappy. I think those are that last generations that have any contact with reality. I see more and more people doing the curve (you know, curving on the phone and go in protected mode).
    The only hope is Greece to get a patriotic government. As the spark of light in the past it will ignite the light once more and free people of their chains and spread the illumination..... , Lol...Prime...Idiot....Against Russia...

With the fear of get the locks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9dZQelULDk , but it's a nice little video.
    Last edited by sapator; Aug 29th, 2022 at 04:03 PM.

PowerPoster

I can't count the number of times I've heard Linux as the answer to our problems with Windows. It always baffles me. My PC is an application development machine, media center, gaming PC, and document processor. My PC can't play all these different roles using Linux as half the stuff I use can't run on it. It makes me wonder what people are actually using their computers for. Linux would make a great host for server-side software but I cannot imagine ever using it on a general-purpose PC. Windows with all its flaws is still the best option, at least for me and my wide diversity of needs.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I agree. I just don't like how long and messy monthly updates and emergency patches have become to install. Well, that and unneeded bloat, re-arranging the desktop for its own sake, and playing "hide the option setting" games.

I agree. I just don't like how long and messy monthly updates and emergency patches have become to install.
    This is one area where Linux outshines Windows:-
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    The above is all it takes to get the latest patches for Linux and though it is a lengthy process, it still doesn't take anywhere as long as it takes for a large batch of Windows patches which has to sometimes be done overnight. In Linux it takes about 20 minutes at most. Still, it's not a good enough reason to choose Linux over Windows but MS could learn a thing or two from Linux.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I can't count the number of times I've heard Linux as the answer to our problems with Windows. It always baffles me. My PC is an application development machine, media center, gaming PC, and document processor. My PC can't play all these different roles using Linux as half the stuff I use can't run on it. It makes me wonder what people are actually using their computers for. Linux would make a great host for server-side software but I cannot imagine ever using it on a general-purpose PC. Windows with all its flaws is still the best option, at least for me and my wide diversity of needs.
    1) Document Processor --> Libre Office, PDF-Readers en masse
    2) Internet --> Firefox/Thunderbird
    3) Media Center --> VLC (and a host of other players), KDEnlive for Video-Edit, Ardour/Audacity for Audio-Edit, Blender for those who want to go all out with 3D
    4) Dev machine --> Enough languages with IDE's
    5) Games --> Seriously?

Don't need anything else. I'm not a Photoshopper
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one area where Linux outshines Windows:-
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    The above is all it takes to get the latest patches for Linux and though it is a lengthy process, it still doesn't take anywhere as long as it takes for a large batch of Windows patches which has to sometimes be done overnight. In Linux it takes about 20 minutes at most. Still, it's not a good enough reason to choose Linux over Windows but MS could learn a thing or two from Linux.
    On Windows I use chocolatey wherever possible to install software, at least that way I can install, update, and remove software from a command line. I just wish it worked the same for the OS itself.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Wasn’t there even an official winget packet manager?
    I think there is, I used chocolatey before the official one existed and haven't found a reason to change.

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    I just wish it worked the same for the OS itself.
    After reflecting a bit, I realize why Windows and Linux are so different in this regard. Linux has historically been a platform for the tech-savvy while Windows assumes the user is dumb as a box of rocks. Your 60-year-old grandmother isn't about to start typing commands in the command prompt when Windows needs an update. For her sake, everything is as transparent and automated as possible. This explains why Windows Updates work the way they do and why they are so robust in comparison to the smaller Linux updates. We also need to consider that Windows is a much more popular target for all kinds of hacks, scams, and malware.

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    1) Document Processor --> Libre Office, PDF-Readers en masse
    2) Internet --> Firefox/Thunderbird
    I can give you those.

4) Dev machine --> Enough languages with IDE's
    The VB6 IDE won't work on Linux. Though it is not my primary development environment anymore, I still have to do work in it from time to time. Not to mention I need it to test the code I post sometimes in the VB6 section of these forums.

Yes I know there is Wine and though I've never personally used it, I sincerely doubt it will work as well as running VB6 on Windows. I could be wrong so maybe someone who has done it can tell me if running the VB6 IDE on Linux through Wine is feasible.

3) Media Center --> VLC (and a host of other players), KDEnlive for Video-Edit, Ardour/Audacity for Audio-Edit, Blender for those who want to go all out with 3D
    There are two potential problems here. One, does Linux cover as wide a variety of graphics adapters as Windows does through drivers? And secondly, codecs. I have no clue where to find codecs for Linux. Through years of trial and error, I have pretty much figured out what to do if a video won't play on Windows. I have seen the VLC player fail to play certain videos on my PC. I know where to look when it happens on Windows but what will I do when it happens on Linux? I don't know. Linux comes with a whole new ecosystem that I have to learn and it could take quite a bit of time.

5) Games --> Seriously?
    The games I tend to play will not work on Linux without workarounds or they simply won't work at all. Also, having the correct drivers for your graphics adapter is essential here. As I've implied above, I'm skeptical that Linux has as wide a variety of drivers as Windows. Nothing will anger me more than to put Linux on a machine only to find out my graphics adapter isn't fully supported.

All in all my problem with Linux as an all-purpose OS is that I fear that I will invite a class of problems that simply do not exist in the world of Windows.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 30th, 2022 at 03:58 AM.

King of sapila

I guess Linux is an angry way to break your dependence from windows.
    I agree that people that are not used to passing commands will stay in windows. Also the graphic drivers thus games, will make out 90% of people using computers, although with the mobile rise, many don't use windows to play games.
    The media is somewhat the same, only h265 as far as I know is new. So there is not much of an issue to play media. I have no clue about the dev. Also Photoshop. Well here our designers all have MAC for Photoshop and such so I would assume it's the ONLY thing that work properly on MAC

Another "marvel" today on W11. We could not do a Wake On Lan on my new PC, we changed every BIOS setting we fixed every network card setting and it did not work.I will just extend the agony of how we fixed it but it falls into the W11 "marvel" category.
    Last edited by sapator; Aug 30th, 2022 at 08:50 AM.

And agreed to most of the above but -

Linux as the host for multiple VMs can resolve the greatest of my problems and that single problem is being in the arms of the organisation that calls itself Microsoft that has foisted that awful UI (and other corporate decisions) on us through the latest incarnations of its o/s. By using KDE on Linux as the day to day interface to my apps I can navigate using a reasonably sensible and familiar UI and rid myself of the pain of being attached to that lumbering behemoth wandering aimlessly through the mire, trying to please the current crop of MS executives.

If I can run Photoshop in a slimline VM, then I have that app at my finger tips. I design periodically and then I code so I only need it now and then. I run Photoshop CS, an old version but it is my workplace and it does all that I want. I fly with it. As long as I have access then I'm sorted. Other essential apps can be dealt with the same way.

For VB6, well, I have both a platform and a target in ReactOS in a VM, however, ReactOS does not work for either - just yet - but it will in time. XP or Win7 will do as a perfectly acceptable interim o/s for now.

Games? Well I will figure that one out but the only games I still play are: Mediaeval Total War II, Colonial Conquest and Quake I-III, plus Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. They will run on a dedicated PC with Win 7 until I find a way. I don't tend to mix and match machines in any case, preferring a system for each function.

Still using Win7 feels 'safer' than using XP as an out-of-support o/s. I can still receive patches... it is 64bit, anti-virus tools are available, I keep away from the nasty parts of the web, I do not download and install programs just because I can. I backup religiously. I use legacy apps mostly anyway so I'm always out of date.

With this approach I still am happy to persist with Win7 until I migrate slowly to Linux and manage to obtain a working environment that works for me.

When I read that post, I can't help but think of that old parable about the cure being worse than the disease. That is an awful lot of trouble to go to just to avoid Windows. That is too high a price for me to indulge in anti-corporate posturing.

I remember a funny anecdote (but can't find any weblink to it):

it went like this:

On the space shuttle they had problems with a computer running on Windows

Houston: You have to restart the computer
    Shuttle: OK, how do i do that?
    Houston: You have to click on Start to shutdown the computer
    Shuttle: Houston, say again?
    Houston: You have to click on Start to stop the computer
    Shuttle (not having muted their microphones): Are they kidding us? Let's ask the russians on the Mir. They at least have Linux

PowerPoster

The desperate arguments for Linux sound like excuses you tell your mother why you can't get a job and move out of the basement yet. At age 40.

The only thing that Windows does that Linux doesn't is run Visual Studio. Otherwise I'm perfectly fine with Linux. I'm not going to push it on anyone because it isn't for everyone. I find it easier and simpler to use than Windows. And being a Linux system, it's close to the Mac that I use during the day. My comfort level at using the command line for things gets better for using it too. I used to hate using git unless I had a GUI for it... now I'm more comfortable with the CLI. Also, with the occasional web development I do, running Linux for it is closer to what I'd be deploying to, making that easier.
    That said, I've got one Windows 10 machine that I use for a radio broadcast - the automation tools I'm using are only available on Windows. No biggie. And I've got a second system I plan to put windows on so I can get back into using Visual Studio properly. It's all a case of using the right tool. I don't need much for my day to day, so Linux works well for me. It has just about everything I need, and for where it doesn't, I have backup systems that are dedicated to doing what they do best. I'm also planning at some point at using a Raspberry for a NAS.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I think it wise to check your levels of o/s fanbois-ism with some of the comments above. I am a loyal Windows user who strangely finds himself hating his preferred platform for a variety of well-known reasons. Some reversing of recent decisions by MS might regain some of those lost fans. Some flexibility in o/s GUI configuration and some improved attitudes toward legacy apps would buy a lot of lost kudos. Improvements in the Windows testing regime might improve stability and inspire some confidence. I am a Windows fanboy or I was...

My background is VMS and so you might call me a VMS fanboy. I ran DOS systems for years and know it really very well, so you might call me a DOS-boy. I administered a unix-like o/s named Aegis on Apollo, Solaris on ftSparc and latterly I have run Linux oses with various UI, so you can call me a Unix/Linux fan boy too.

Removing any latent fanboyism, all that makes my preference for any o/s purely functional and Windows in the past won hands-down. It was and is my workbench. The trouble is, you upset or rejig my workbench and I'll rip your guts out. Come into my study, garage or my desk and tidy anything and you will die a slow death. I am that passionate about my work area.

Niya is quite right that the cure (a new house with a new garage and study) may be more painful than the actual illness (my wife rearranging my stuff) but sometimes divorce is the only option.

In addition, I am not such a fanboy of Windows that I cannot see the benefits of Linux with its various UIX. At least I can find one that suits my fancy. If MS gave me what I needed to make a choice, I'd probably be back in a heartbeat - but they won't and as their decisions are getting worse it is time for the divorce.

With Kubuntu I have acquired a new girlfriend, at the moment she won't bed me but I suppose we are just before the early coitus phase. Just some kissing, none of it wet.

Did I share too much?

PowerPoster

Shuttle (not having muted their microphones): Are they kidding us? Let's ask the russians on the Mir. They at least have Linux
    I don't care what OS you use or if you like Windows or not but I take my anecdotes very seriously. That doesn't match what you've been saying. Just makes the astronauts look dumb. They don't know how to restart the computer and the term press the start button confuses them. Then they decide it would be best to ask someone with a different OS what they should do. Doesn't say much for our space program. lol

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    with kubuntu i have acquired a new girlfriend, at the moment she won't bed me but i suppose we are just before the early coitus phase. Just some kissing, none of it wet.
    lmao

When the excitement of novelty finally wears off, you will start to notice all the little things your wife used to do that your girlfriend refuses to do, and you will resent her for it. It won't be long until late night phone calls to your ex-wife probing for a way to get back together become a regular occurrence.

It can't be done. I can't legitimately assume because code is "open source" (and btw no linux distro truly is if the include compiled binaries of any kind) that someone else will ever review it. Windows I can be assured that, at least if it's not totally functional before the service pack, it's not full of malware anyone could check into the repo. Yeah I know, kernel patches get approved and so on, but still...
    Windows 8 was honestly a poor reading of the future of hardware. I have a tablet with a touch screen and I absolutely never use that feature of it because your arm gets tired.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    It can't be done. I can't legitimately assume because code is "open source" (and btw no linux distro truly is if the include compiled binaries of any kind) that someone else will ever review it. Windows I can be assured that, at least if it's not totally functional before the service pack, it's not full of malware anyone could check into the repo.
    This is actually a good point. I didn't even think of this. Given that there is currently a cold-war in cyberspace between the US, China and Russia there is great cause for some concern here. It's not hard for me to imagine that a bad actor could turn Linux into a trojan horse the way ByteDance did with their massively successful spyware app, TikTok. Linux could become the TikTok of operating systems.

Then again, I've never really cared about spyware. The most they are going to learn about me is that I like rough sex porn and that I hate leftists. There is nothing about my life that would interest intelligence agencies.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 30th, 2022 at 02:51 PM.

There is nothing about my life that would interest intelligence agencies.
    Is there any intelligence at all in your life Niya?

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Is there any intelligence at all in your life Niya?
    Nope. 99% of humans are f@@@ing idiots so it stands to reason I'm surrounded by idiots.

PowerPoster

Don't worry, "The Year Of Linux" is just around the corner. Still.

Of course they never say which Linux. How many flavors, colors, textures, and versions does it come in now?

Don't worry, "The Year Of Linux" is just around the corner. Still.
    Just like fusion energy.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 30th, 2022 at 05:37 PM.

PowerPoster

Anyone know if this works in Win11?

How to bypass the Microsoft Account requirement during Windows setup

I was thinking about "Bypass 2: Use a banned email address" described there.

Anyone know if this works in Win11?

How to bypass the Microsoft Account requirement during Windows setup

I was thinking about "Bypass 2: Use a banned email address" described there.
    Even if it does, I doubt it will for very long. The last few years I've noticed that tech companies are becoming ever more determined to pin your online identity to your actual identity. This is why they are pushing so hard for Google accounts and Microsoft accounts for your to do various things online. It is becoming increasingly popular to link email addresses and other types of online accounts to phone numbers which gives tech companies(and the NSA/CIA/Cancel culture leftist nut-jobs) a path to find out who you actually are. The next step in this plan is to make phone numbers mandatory. It kind of already is but there are still work arounds. But it gets harder and harder to avoid every year.

PowerPoster

Reminds me of a video I watched today on grocery store "innovation" to further reduce employment.

Cameras tied to AI all over the place, palm-print scanners to unlock entry, linkage to your phone, etc.

Unemployment is the least of my worries. What I'm deathly afraid of is that fast approaching day when big tech will know every single thing I did, every single day. They will know everywhere I've been, every post and comment I write on every website, every video I watch, every download and upload I did, every store I went into, everything I bought and sold, every person I bumped into, every vehicle I travelled in and every person I spend time with.

It's been this way in China for some years and with their current housing crisis news has been leaking out about just how helpless this mass surveillance makes the average person against the juggernaut of state power. It is the most frightening thing I've ever seen. One example I keep seeing over and over again is abuse of their anti-COVID measures. They have a system in place where all citizens have data about their status and this data is used to either allow or deny citizen access to certain public services. When the housing crisis started spiraling out of control, they started tracking everything everyone was saying online about the government and if it was even slightly negative, they set their COVID status to "red" so the dissenters will have a hard time accessing basic services in China. News about this has been leaking out all over YouTube for quite a while now.

This kind of thing is coming to the rest of the world. All this nonsense about requiring Microsoft accounts to perform basic computer stuff is how it starts. It's just the beginning. This is not a world I want to live in. I hope I die before this comes to pass.

PowerPoster

Ahh, that whole "social credit" system. How could that possibly be abused?

I remember a funny anecdote (but can't find any weblink to it):

it went like this:

Why were you looking for a web link? Did you think this was a true story? It isn't.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I was thinking that this thread could be renamed to "The Curmudgeon Thread", but it seems more like it is just another angst thread. We live and work in an industry that is constantly changing....and constantly being attacked. We'll always be running just to keep up. Things will always be changing. That's the life we are living.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast