Thread: Upgrading to VS 2022 Version 17.3.0 is a horrendous disaster!

Lively Member

Thumbs down Upgrading to VS 2022 Version 17.3.0 is a horrendous disaster!

I upgraded VS 2022 to version 17.3.0 and have experienced nothing but disasters. Following is a list of error messages or phenomena:

1). "No projects managed by Nuget in solution" (this is a major forum entry at the MS Developer site, and someone learned that uninstalling VS setup and deployment 2022 resolved the issue).

2). No references were not found. If I clicked on a reference in the right panel in the Project window, all of the references had a gold-colored error icon on them, and in Properties, the path was empty. I think the path is intact in the code, but something in VS 17.3.0 is killing the paths for references.

3). It seems that certain features of Nuget references are not available in the release binary assembly. I can't confirm this, but something is going on there.

Overall, upgrading to 17.3.0 has resulted in some very squirrely, horrendous occurences for my VB.NET solution. Someone also mentioned using 17.2 and not 17.3.0 (MS Developer forum), so that's what I did - and have been able to restore everything.

Re: Upgrading to VS 2022 Version 17.3.0 is a horrendous disaster!

I've had some issues in the past but the latest update has been smooth for me on two different machines. Consider how hard it can be to isolate some issues in your own software that occur in some environments and not others and then consider how many different combinations of hardware and software Microsoft needs to consider.

Also, this isn't a VB.NET question - or even a question at all, as far as I can tell - so I've suggested that the mods move it.
    Last edited by jmcilhinney; Aug 14th, 2022 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.

Fanatic Member

For long time I am on preview versions of VS (currently on VS 2022 17.4.0 Preview 1) and haven't noticed similar problems. Well, there are other issues but they appear randomly and restart of VS "fix" the problems.

But probably some people had bad experience with some versions and from 17.4.0 Preview 1 (released this week) there is possibility to downgrade to previous version in case of described problems.

Version 17.3.1 has been released, so it might be worth seeing whether that addresses your issues.