Thread: Process starts but does not display window

Addicted Member

Process starts but does not display window

I have an application that I am trying to launch another exe from. The second exe does start because you can see it in the task manger but the application window does not appear on the screen? Any help would be appreciated.

Code:
    Dim p As New ProcessStartInfo("\\gvl02\data\programs\assembly\labels\labels.exe")
    p.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Normal
    p.Arguments = filterString
    Process.Start(p)

PowerPoster

Re: Process starts but does not display window

Before descending down the road of assuming the code is at fault, if you use Windows File Explorer to navigate to the UNC path you've indicated and execute the file manually, does it run as expected (visibly)? Or does it run "hidden" that way as well?

If it runs normally that way, then you may have to set the .WorkingDirectory property of your "p" object to the UNC path of the .exe file (or, perhaps some other path if appropriate).

Good luck.

Lively Member

Does label.exe even have an normal windowstyle? If not maybe this is the reason you can't see it. You could try to remove that line and see if it works.

Addicted Member

If I navigate and run it, it runs as expected. And I did try the Working directory and still same issue and the WindowsState is set to Normal in the labels.exe

Quote Originally Posted by BSWhipp View Post
    If I navigate and run it, it runs as expected. And I did try the Working directory and still same issue and the WindowsState is set to Normal in the labels.exe
    Try it like this,

Code:
            Dim myProc As Process
            Dim pi As New ProcessStartInfo()
            pi.FileName = "\\gvl02\data\programs\assembly\labels\labels.exe"
            ' pi.FileName = "notepad"
            pi.UseShellExecute = True  ' False ' 
            pi.CreateNoWindow = True   '  False '
            pi.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Normal
            pi.Arguments = filterString

myProc = Process.Start(pi)
            myProc.WaitForExit()
    These two can be set differently when trying,

Code:
            pi.UseShellExecute = True  ' False ' 
            pi.CreateNoWindow = True   '  False '
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Addicted Member

Loads the labels.exe the same (No window) and stops the processing of the program that launches it.. Go to be something with the program that is running it. Like it won't allow the window to come up for the external program.