Thread: All in one question post

Banned

Exclamation All in one question post

post removed
    Last edited by jenniger9; Aug 13th, 2022 at 07:25 PM.

Re: All in one question post

Start reading beginner tutorials and read some basic programming books.

You cannot work on a network game server or launcher or whatever it is you are hacking without understanding basic operations on strings, collections, list controls, modal forms or basic language constructs like do loops, functions, control events, modules or classes.

You can skip everything and jump straight into network programming but you will get everyone crazy in these forums with noob questions and ultimately no one will bother answering these long numbered lists because your account will end up in everyone's "Ignore users" list instead.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Hyperactive Member

You will find this forum amazing (I have) if you keep your questions short and concise and have some idea what you are doing. People here have things to do and help from the goodness of their hearts. I appreciate you are trying to learn but as mentioned start with the basics of what you are trying to do and try to stick to one thing at a time. There is a great deal of freely available information on the web about how to do things in VB. Start there. Good Luck

Banned

Its ok if no one wants to help

Quote Originally Posted by jenniger9 View Post
    Nobody said people don't want to help, what was said is to ask specific questions about specific problems. Give detail on your questions, show what you have already tried, acknowledge that you have read and tried what has been suggested.

However, you do need to get the basics of programming understood before you attempt something as complex as a habe server.

(Probably doesn't even know how to create "Hello, World"!)
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Jenniger9, I also agree with with others are saying.

I also do believe that you can just "jump in" when you've got a project (that's clear and well specified). However, for me, to be a good programmer, I've got to have a desire to figure out things on my own. And that's at each little step along the way where I don't know how to proceed. And, more than anything, it means reading the help (MSDN, F1 key, etc), possibly reading it several times and studying the examples so that I fully understand how each of the language's statements actually work.

Without this motivation to solve problems on my own, I know that I'm doomed from the start.

------

Personally, I use these forums to brainstorm complex ideas on various topics, or maybe to ask for resources I might use to help myself to proceed (like where GDI+ resources are or DirectX resources). I suppose I might occasionally use them to get clarity for some particularly nettlesome issue I'm having, but I certainly don't use them for every time I forget the specifics of how a particular statement works ... that's what the IDE's F1 key (i.e., the MSDN) is for.

Also, just to say it ... if you really want to aggravate us, just start giving us the impression that you want us to do your work for you. That's not why we're here, or at least not me.

-------

Good Luck with your project!
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Nobody said people don't want to help, what was said is to ask specific questions about specific problems. Give detail on your questions, show what you have already tried, acknowledge that you have read and tried what has been suggested.

However, you do need to get the basics of programming understood before you attempt something as complex as a habe server.
    To further this... in my signature block there's a link regarding eels in your hovercraft. Click it. It'll take you to a post that will show you how to construct a post that will get you some results.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Hey its ok we all started somewhere.

I -know- people on this forum are extremely helpful. Blunt at times but helpful. You will just be disappointed if you expect people to do the work for you.

Good luck with learning

Hyperactive Member

I suppose some of this is just our penance for being vb programmers. Anyone who is starting a new project in vb in 2022 without already knowing the language has already made one bad decision, so we're self-selecting for below-average judgement.

But vb definitely has advantages as a "learning to program" language compared to some of the alternatives. Is there a modern equivalent to Logo / turtle-graphics for people learning to program, without jumping right into JavaScript or Python? Scratch sounds interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by ahenry View Post
    I suppose some of this is just our penance for being vb programmers. Anyone who is starting a new project in vb in 2022 without already knowing the language has already made one bad decision, so we're self-selecting for below-average judgement.

But vb definitely has advantages as a "learning to program" language compared to some of the alternatives. Is there a modern equivalent to Logo / turtle-graphics for people learning to program, without jumping right into JavaScript or Python? Scratch sounds interesting...
    I don't think anyone is gatekeeping... but when presented with a post with a number of question, it's hard to know where to start. It also can get confusing as to what's been answered and what hasn't. By keeping the posts/threads to single topics, it makes it easier to track what has an answer, and which still needs help.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

So you're asking for more jenninger posts? Please, no. Unfortunately the ignore function doesn't hide whole posts.

PowerPoster

1: open form2 keep form1 disabled.
    If form2 close then enable form1.
    Just like how msgbox stops you from clicking forms below.

How to do it.
    From code in Form1, do this:

Code:
    form2.Show vbModal, Me
    One down, 10 to go I guess...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    From code in Form1, do this:

Code:
    form2.Show vbModal, Me
    One down, 10 to go I guess...
    thank you.
    i have a database were i store these codes to re use thanks.
    thats why i created this thread so people can share there ways of doing things but being criticized