Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 153

Thread: US college enrollment is declining

  1. #81
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Yeah, it's kind of funny. All of the STEM people seem to be horrified by the idea of having only STEM people.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  2. #82
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,659

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    I'm kind of curious why a four year degree is needed for procreation.

  3. #83
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,220

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Searched STEM, not all countries have the same acronyms. So I'm A STEMer also.
    The issue I see here is a racism (Opps thread locked, banned , FORMAT ALT DELETE!) on occupations , mild one.
    To my opinion almost every field is necessary...Well, except politician,journalists and royal blooded, they can rot in hell for all I care.
    Botanist,farmers and stuff for food, garbage men for disposal (have you ever had a strike of garbage men?), musician for entertainment (hopefully good ones not the latest garbage),priest and such for the believers, even, you know, for...You know.
    You can probably get of by getting rid of the not so basic, as music,cooks, layers (hmm, now that I think of it) but you will have a very unhappy society.
    Of course the proper linguists will talk to Martians and such so they can "borrow" their people..And of course to the correct and acclaimed mother of languages...Yes yes Greek, I know.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

  4. #84
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    (have you ever had a strike of garbage men?)
    Isn't that the proper term for a collection of garbage men?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  5. #85
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,220

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    I don't know, I'm egg mixing
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

  6. #86
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Well, at least you didn't miss a beat with that reply.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  7. #87
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Sorry, that was meant as a yolk.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  8. #88
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,220

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Ahhaa, λέκῐθος ο κοινῶς.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

  9. #89
    Wall Poster TysonLPrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,687

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Sorry, that was meant as a yolk.
    I think you are both mixing your puns together trying to whip up interest. It makes me wonder what you are cooking up next. I'm not trying to egg you on...just asking knowing you are probably hatching something up. I do like being cracked up though
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

  10. #90
    Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    453

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I think you are both mixing your puns together trying to whip up interest. It makes me wonder what you are cooking up next. I'm not trying to egg you on...just asking knowing you are probably hatching something up. I do like being cracked up though
    Watch them scramble for more puns! Hopefully they're not eggshausted.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Aug 14th, 2022 at 10:19 AM.

  11. #91
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,659

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Listen to just the section from 10:00 to 12:30 or so which might help explain part of the reason why declining post-secondary enrollment may not be as painful as some might hope:



    It boils down to a growing need for skilled trades and less tolerance for "riders in the boat not pulling an oar" that academic bloat has been producing for decades.

    We have plenty of ambulance chasers, and for that matter realtors with underwater basketweaving degrees. And we will still have enough without encouraging a surplus.

  12. #92
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,795

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    I'm kind of curious why a four year degree is needed for procreation
    Well, it's a complicated subject with lots of possible variations to explore...
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  13. #93

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    4,915

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    This is a good article on whether going to college is worth the cost. But I don"t like using six years as a comparison. It's to short of a time period.

    https://news.yahoo.com/colleges-dont...143756655.html

  14. #94
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,171

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    [Procreation...]
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Well, it's a complicated subject with lots of possible variations to explore...
    Well, in an "Ark"-scenario, the subject of procreation will become quite simple, I guess...

    You just have to ensure a healthy ratio between exactly two genders ...

    Both of them hopefully willing (and able), to produce offspring with changing partners,
    to ensure that the "new, evolving gene-pool" is a bit more "mixed up from the get-go"
    (although I don't think that was, what you meant with "lots of possible variations"... )

    Olaf

  15. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    You just have to ensure a healthy ratio between exactly two genders ...
    Careful here. You might trigger the leftists on these boards. You might catch some hate for denying the existence of the hundred or so other genders that seem to have evolved in humans in the last US election cycle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Both of them hopefully willing (and able), to produce offspring with changing partners,
    to ensure that the "new, evolving gene-pool" is a bit more "mixed up from the get-go"
    (although I don't think that was, what you meant with "lots of possible variations"
    As I understand it, you need at least 60,000 people, to provide enough genetic diversity for population growth. Don't quote me on that number though. I pulled that from memory and it could be wrong. But you do need a sufficiently large initial population numbering in the tens of thousands. If there is too much in-breeding then too many harmful recessive alleles surface in the offspring which would devastate the population in the long run.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 21st, 2022 at 09:38 AM.

  16. #96
    .NUT jmcilhinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    108,822

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Careful here. You might trigger the leftists on these boards. You might catch some hate for denying the existence of the hundred or so other genders that seem to have evolved in humans in the last US election cycle.
    I see you're taking time away from complaining about others virtue signalling to the left in order to virtue signal to the right. Smooth.

  17. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I see you're taking time away from complaining about others virtue signalling to the left in order to virtue signal to the right. Smooth.
    I see that didn't take long to elicit a response lol..

  18. #98
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,659

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    I keep thinking of those videos where an interviewer goes to college campuses and asks students questions like "How many degrees in a circle?" and "What two countries border the continental US?" and "What is 3 times 3 times 3?" and "What year did the nuclear war end?"

  19. #99
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,171

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Careful here. You might trigger the leftists on these boards.
    I don't find these "grouping-attempts" into "leftists" and "rightists" the right "categorization"
    (when it comes to these "awkward gender-identity-discussions").

    If you really have to categorize into two groups in that regard, then:
    - "realists" ... and
    - "cultists"
    are more properly matching terms, I guess.

    Olaf

  20. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I keep thinking of those videos where an interviewer goes to college campuses and asks students questions like "How many degrees in a circle?" and "What two countries border the continental US?" and "What is 3 times 3 times 3?" and "What year did the nuclear war end?"
    Yea I've seen some of those. While I will admit there are some questions I didn't know the answer to, I found it astonishing how little Americans know about their own country. I've never set foot on American soil yet I feel I know more about that country than the people who actually live there. Even worse, such interviews showed me just how ignorant Americans are about anything outside of America. I kid you not, there are educated Americans that can't even find Russia on a world map. I could do that since I was 12. It's no wonder leftists were able to so easily brainwash the population into believe whatever they want.

    If you want some laughs, check out Matt Walsh's recent documentary, "What is a woman". I've seen some clips of it on YouTube. One of the most hilarious demonstrations of public ignorance I have ever seen.

    EDIT:

    I should clarify that by Americans, I'm mostly talking about liberals/leftists/progressives. They are one of the larger demographics, especially in academia and some of the most ignorant people in existence. They know so little yet think they should preach the most.

    The fact that Trump won the election showed me that most Americans have a good head on their shoulders, and there are enough to swing an election. It's not because they thought that Trump would make an excellent president, but because they recognized that he was the far better option than some corrupt leftist that would have no doubt green-lit insane leftists policies.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 21st, 2022 at 10:55 AM.

  21. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    I don't find these "grouping-attempts" into "leftists" and "rightists" the right "categorization"
    (when it comes to these "awkward gender-identity-discussions").

    If you really have to categorize into two groups in that regard, then:
    - "realists" ... and
    - "cultists"
    are more properly matching terms, I guess.

    Olaf
    I actually wholeheartedly agree. However, these ideas were born of progressives mainly in the US. As I understand it, progressives have become synonymous with the political left. They are also sometimes referred to as liberals. I feel it's important people know where these ideas originated hence my use of the term "leftists".

  22. #102
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,220

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    I would categorize, at least in Greece, mostly as sheeps and shepherds.
    Or idiots, people that think they are not idiots but they are and normal people...And of course the blob of sold out politicians,journalists and mimes.
    I think it's time for another thread lock...
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

  23. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I would categorize, at least in Greece, mostly as sheeps and shepherds.
    Or idiots, people that think they are not idiots but they are and normal people...And of course the blob of sold out politicians,journalists and mimes.
    I think it's time for another thread lock...
    Do you guys have the same leftist madness in Greece?

  24. #104
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    As I understand it, you need at least 60,000 people, to provide enough genetic diversity for population growth.
    I'd say that is too high for absolute necessity. You can run into severe issues if your population is too high, but there are lots of animals that have populations well below 60,000 that are still limping along. That figure is probably an ideal minimum population size where inbreeding isn't a concern. If you are well below that size, you might not get a choice as to who you reproduce with. If you have the genetic information (or genealogic information, if genetic information isn't available), you might end up with arranged unions to maximize genetic variation.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  25. #105
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I keep thinking of those videos where an interviewer goes to college campuses and asks students questions like "How many degrees in a circle?" and "What two countries border the continental US?" and "What is 3 times 3 times 3?" and "What year did the nuclear war end?"
    The problem with those videos is that they lack context. There are bad responses everywhere to everything. If those are the only responses that make it into your video, then the video is meaningless because of the sampling bias. After all, if people ONLY showed the bugs I've written, I'd look like the worst programmer anywhere, and the same is true for every one of us. We all make mistakes. If our mistakes are ALL that anyone sees of us...well, we don't look very good.

    For the same reason, highlight reels of athletes are equally bogus. If all you show are the miraculous plays, the person can look like some kind of god at the sport.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  26. #106
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Yea I've seen some of those. While I will admit there are some questions I didn't know the answer to, I found it astonishing how little Americans know about their own country. I've never set foot on American soil yet I feel I know more about that country than the people who actually live there. Even worse, such interviews showed me just how ignorant Americans are about anything outside of America. I kid you not, there are educated Americans that can't even find Russia on a world map. I could do that since I was 12. It's no wonder leftists were able to so easily brainwash the population into believe whatever they want.
    And there are so MANY Americans who can't do the math to figure out the latitude of their position based on the height of the sun above the horizon at noon, which is obviously a fundamental skill that every intelligent person should have.

    Oh wait, no, it WAS an essential skill for a certain subset of the population. If you asked that subset to do that calculation, they could almost ALL do the calculation in their heads. If you asked a cross section of the population, then very few would be able to.

    What is essential knowledge is constantly changing, and may be changing faster now than at any time in the past. So, not only do those videos run into sampling bias issues, they also run into curmudgeon issues. For example, I have an ability to navigate cross country that is well above the norm, these days, but so what?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  27. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'd say that is too high for absolute necessity. You can run into severe issues if your population is too high, but there are lots of animals that have populations well below 60,000 that are still limping along. That figure is probably an ideal minimum population size where inbreeding isn't a concern. If you are well below that size, you might not get a choice as to who you reproduce with. If you have the genetic information (or genealogic information, if genetic information isn't available), you might end up with arranged unions to maximize genetic variation.
    Ah ok. That makes a lot of sense.

  28. #108
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    The fact that Trump won the election showed me that most Americans have a good head on their shoulders, and there are enough to swing an election. It's not because they thought that Trump would make an excellent president, but because they recognized that he was the far better option than some corrupt leftist that would have no doubt green-lit insane leftists policies.
    The fact that he managed to be the first president to lose reelection at a time of booming prosperity in...well, I'm not sure when that last happened, and to a weak opponent too, is a far better indication that Americans have good heads on their shoulders.


    By the way, you technically only need women on the ark. If you have enough technology, you don't need men at all. If you have a lesser amount of technology, you don't need men present.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  29. #109
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,171

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I would categorize ... mostly as sheeps and shepherds.
    A nice (alternative) definition, of what a cult is, wouldn't you say?

    - shepherds who instigated the cult, to help their own agendas
    - a larger group of sheep who follow blindly (without care)
    - a smaller group of sheep who have a clue about, what's going on, but decide to remain in the cult anyways
    ..(because of "fuzzy feelings of safety and belonging" and/or "opportunities in the cults middle-management")

    Olaf

  30. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    And there are so MANY Americans who can't do the math to figure out the latitude of their position based on the height of the sun above the horizon at noon, which is obviously a fundamental skill that every intelligent person should have.

    Oh wait, no, it WAS an essential skill for a certain subset of the population. If you asked that subset to do that calculation, they could almost ALL do the calculation in their heads. If you asked a cross section of the population, then very few would be able to.

    What is essential knowledge is constantly changing, and may be changing faster now than at any time in the past. So, not only do those videos run into sampling bias issues, they also run into curmudgeon issues. For example, I have an ability to navigate cross country that is well above the norm, these days, but so what?
    You do make a good point here. However, we are not really talking about specialized knowledge. I've seen people trip up on some very very basic questions.

  31. #111
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,220

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Do you guys have the same leftist madness in Greece?
    Not like you specify it for US.
    Here every parliament party is left, even if claim to be right,except one that is patriots.
    I can't really specify what's going on here, it a madness above madness.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

  32. #112
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,220

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    A nice (alternative) definition, of what a cult is, wouldn't you say?

    - shepherds who instigated the cult, to help their own agendas
    - a larger group of sheep who follow blindly (without care)
    - a smaller group of sheep who have a clue about, what's going on, but decide to remain in the cult anyways
    ..(because of "fuzzy feelings of safety and belonging" and/or "opportunities in the cults middle-management")

    Olaf
    Good call.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

  33. #113
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,795

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    I keep thinking of those videos where an interviewer goes to college campuses and asks students questions like "How many degrees in a circle?" and "What two countries border the continental US?" and "What is 3 times 3 times 3?" and "What year did the nuclear war end?"
    I'm pretty convinced those are cherry picked to the point of practically being staged.

    If you spend enough time asking enough people questions you're going to get a selection including enough moronic answers to put a YouTube skit together and declare "Murica Dumb!". You could do it with any country in the world. You could definitely do it in the UK. You could probably do it at a Mensa convention if you were willing to spend enough time on it.

    Olaf:-
    You just have to ensure a healthy ratio between exactly two genders ...
    Niya:-
    Careful here. You might trigger the leftists on these boards
    I see that didn't take long to elicit a response lol..

    ... just saying, you jumped to the bait even faster than JM did.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  34. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I'm pretty convinced those are cherry picked to the point of practically being staged.
    There shouldn't be any to cherry pick from. There is no reason you should be able to find people in this age that don't know how many degrees a circle has. There are literal memes that answer this question. That is the point of such interviews, to show that there are lots of people still this ignorant of basic facts. Doesn't matter if if it's 10 or 10000. There shouldn't be any.

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    If you spend enough time asking enough people questions you're going to get a selection including enough moronic answers to put a YouTube skit together and declare "Murica Dumb!". You could do it with any country in the world.
    You're absolutely right here. I've seen people do these in my country and it was hilarious how ignorant the people of my own country were of basic facts. However, I'm pretty sure everyone over here could answer an extremely basic question like "What is a woman?"...Americans though.....that's another story entirely.

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Olaf:-
    Niya:-
    I see that didn't take long to elicit a response lol..

    ... just saying, you jumped to the bait even faster than JM did.
    You got me there. Though I don't think Olaf's intent was to bait. Mine was kind of bait. I mean I didn't say what I said to provoke a response but I knew it would have regardless of my intent.

  35. #115
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    You do make a good point here. However, we are not really talking about specialized knowledge. I've seen people trip up on some very very basic questions.
    Yeah, but I've tripped up on some very basic questions, as well. I remember a question about volume. The right answer was so obvious that I assumed that there was a trick being employed, so I answered based on how I thought the trick would work. Turns out, there was no trick, and I had over thought it. Had that been on video...it would have been embarrassing, as I would have appeared to have missed a very simple question.

    Was I right or wrong, in that case? I knew what the right answer was based on the principle, but I also expected that the person asking knew that I knew, and was therefore employing some sleight of hand to try to trick me. I was wrong about them trying to trick me, and therefore wrong about the actual question, but the underlying reasoning was sound.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  36. #116
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,552

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    There shouldn't be any to cherry pick from. There is no reason you should be able to find people in this age that don't know how many degrees a circle has.
    Are you serious? You think the number of degrees in a circle is some kind of useful knowledge today?

    Heck, I was trying to be outlandish with that example about calculating latitude, you went to an even more absurd place and sound like you were serious about it. I was only kidding. Who the hell cares how many degrees there are in a circle? Some coders, a few mathematicians (and lots of them wouldn't need to know anymore, though they probably do), and who else? The wheels on my car are round, but it doesn't make the slightest difference to me whether they are divided into 360, 5, or any other number of intervals, nor what the name of those intervals are.

    For that matter, it doesn't much matter to navigation these days, either, since Longitude is positive and negative, while latitude doesn't deal with 360 degrees.

    That's a finer example of knowledge that shouldn't clutter up most people's heads than the example I gave.



    You got me there. Though I don't think Olaf's intent was to bait. Mine was kind of bait. I mean I didn't say what I said to provoke a response but I knew it would have regardless of my intent.

    That's why I call you an SJW, too, on at least two different levels.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  37. #117
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,659

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    While there are surely equivalents elsewhere, in the US we have the Enlistment ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery). There is also a slightly shorter non-enlistment version. I presume the latter can be good PR as well as help normalize scoring for enlistment purposes.

    What Exactly is the ASVAB?

    The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery ó known as ASVAB for short ó is a multiple-choice test that takes about three hours to complete. This test measures which military jobs would be best for you, and itís used by each military branch to screen every new recruit.

    While itís not an IQ test, itís a way for recruiters to figure out which job role you would thrive best in. The test was created by the Department of Defense (DoD) and each specific branch to determine each individualís mental ability to serve and carry out duties for various roles.
    It would be interesting to see trends over time. The military has no interest in being discriminatory in the casual sense (gender, ethnicity, prominence of chin, etc.) so these might be some of the least biased tests given on a large scale.


    These were broader and more thorough than college board exams (SAT, ACT here) when I took them circa 1973. A little more detail here:

    READY TO TAKE THE ASVAB? HEREíS WHAT TO EXPECT + HOW TO PREPARE


    Are students getting dumber? Less competent? Hard to say, I'm in no position to judge. What little I can find though says that scoring has been "renormalized" many times over the past 50 years.

  38. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,803

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, but I've tripped up on some very basic questions, as well. I remember a question about volume. The right answer was so obvious that I assumed that there was a trick being employed, so I answered based on how I thought the trick would work. Turns out, there was no trick, and I had over thought it. Had that been on video...it would have been embarrassing, as I would have appeared to have missed a very simple question.

    Was I right or wrong, in that case? I knew what the right answer was based on the principle, but I also expected that the person asking knew that I knew, and was therefore employing some sleight of hand to try to trick me. I was wrong about them trying to trick me, and therefore wrong about the actual question, but the underlying reasoning was sound.
    Yea, I get what you're saying. But still, you're talking questions that requires the subject to be somewhat academically inclined. These questions can trip up even educated people. However, if someone asked you what the capital of Russia is, I'm sure you'd be able to answer this promptly. There are people that don't even know this basic fact. Americans in particular that don't know this should be ashamed considering they spent about about 40 years in a cold war with the Soviet Union, who's de facto leader was Russia. Not to mention all the Bond movies and such where Russia is the "bad guy". I can think of no reason that average people should not know what the capital of Russia is.

  39. #119
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,659

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    I wonder if that might be part of why the TV series "Project Bluebook" failed.

    It had US government and military factions (some with overt goals and others with murky and dubious goals and actions), former Nazis through Operation Paperclip, Soviet spies, the Men In Hats (now more commonly known as Men In Black). It never got too far into the 1950s before ratings dropped and it got canceled.

    People born more recently just don't have the points of reference. But then a lot of people in the US don't even know the US. The media present a warped perspective where only coastal megalopolies are home to real people with everyone else being a hillbilly, Fargo resident, or Amish.

  40. #120
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,795

    Re: US college enrollment is declining

    There shouldn't be any to cherry pick from
    Oh, I agree with you that there shouldn't be any. I'm just not surprised that there are.

    Yeah, but I've tripped up on some very basic questions
    When you look at those videos, though, they show the same, small subset of people getting questions wrong over and over again. The game's not "trip up the smart guy", it's "hunt the idiot". But you know what they say about never being more than 6 foot from a rat in any major city. I'm pretty sure you could apply that to idiots too.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width