Thread: Baffled with wifi off on very close lock lid on laptop

King of sapila

Baffled with wifi off on very close lock lid on laptop

Hi.
    I have a relatively new 3 years core i3 10th gen HP laptop w10 fully updated.
    What the issue is, is that when I lock it, close the lid, let it sleep, the wifi goes off.
    I have the latest drivers from HP, I also disabled all the settings on USB and Network to go off to save battery (I only did not disable ipv6 addresses, not sure if it will help) but whatever I do, the wifi will close.
    Any thoughts?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: Baffled with wifi off on very close lock lid on laptop

What exactly do you mean by "the wifi goes off"? Are you saying that the network connection is dropped or do you mean that Wi-Fi is turned off and you have to turn it back on again manually? Or maybe something else that I haven't considered?

King of sapila

Ye sorry I should have explained better.
    The wifi is on and connected but no internet. I mean the wifi indicator of w10 shows : connected - no internet. After a couple of seconds it detects internet back, or if I manually re - connect.

There is a setting that specifies whether Windows manages wireless connections during sleep. I can't recall exactly where it is and I only have Window 11 handy. I believe that, with that off, a wireless connection will be dropped when the machine sleeps and, with it on, Windows will maintain the connection for a while and drop it after a period of inactivity. I suspect that you must have that off and the machine is going to sleep when you close the lid, thus dropping the wireless connection. When you open the lid and the machine wakes up, it re-establishes the connection. That takes a little bit of time to complete so you see the intermediate state, where the network connection has been opened but internet access has not been reinstated. If you find that setting and toggle it, I suspect that your wireless connection will be maintained, at least for a while, when you close the lid.

King of sapila

I believe you are talking about power options. I have this to "do nothing" on power cable and whatever initially where with battery only.
    But the issue here is not only the lid. As I've wrote in the OP, it will also do the same when I lock the computer (win+L).
    In general and if I'm not missing a setting in a setting in a setting, all pluged in options are to do nothing. That goes for network,display,USB, the lot.
    Thanks,

PowerPoster

A couple links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-ec961699e413

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2c3a4b3?page=1

Both seem to suggest to go to the "Advanced" tab of your wireless adapter's device properties, and look for settings relating to "roaming" or "suspending" and see if disabling them has any effect.

Good luck.

King of sapila

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, was the first thing I tried.
    But good catch on the second solution, "selective suspend" , unfortunately my network adapter does not have that option in the dropdown list.
    There are however some other options in there, I should study them to see if something fits.
    All in all, I can reconnect but that seems stupid.
    Anyhow, thanks.