Thread: Azure DevOps

Azure DevOps

I would guess that somebody on here has some experience with this. I have none.

My group is being asked to move to this as a source repository. Prior to this, we've been using GitLab, but there are a couple reasons why we have been asked to move, most of which may be bureaucratic in nature (in other words, no good reason). I haven't had a chance to take a good look at this. Can I get some discussion on what issues we are likely to run into?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Re: Azure DevOps

The only real experience I have with the Azure platform is with their storage service. I wrote a back-up program some years ago that backs up files as binary blobs in Azure containers. This is the extent of my experience with Azure so far. Haven't looked into DevOps so I can't speak on that.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I would guess that somebody on here has some experience with this. I have none.

My group is being asked to move to this as a source repository. Prior to this, we've been using GitLab, but there are a couple reasons why we have been asked to move, most of which may be bureaucratic in nature (in other words, no good reason). I haven't had a chance to take a good look at this. Can I get some discussion on what issues we are likely to run into?
    From a pure code repo point of view there will be very little difference to Gitlab - it is just another git repo at the end of the day. In fact Azure DevOps can import an existing repo (all branches, history etc) with a couple of mouse clicks...

If you have been using other features of GitLab such as portfolios, artifacts, etc. then moving them over might be more of an issue.

Banned

I have been working with azure devops for quite some time, and from a professional point of view, there are much more advantages. You can use any language, any platform, and any cloud, get more faster delivery and go-live for user services.
    I would advise you to read different cases of real use in practice https://www.altoros.com/portfolio/di...r-construction, this will give a more detailed view. I think you can figure it all out for yourself. Good luck
    Last edited by mmarkgilbert; Oct 5th, 2022 at 03:18 AM.