Thread: [RESOLVED] Color

Resolved [RESOLVED] Color

I get a "COLOR" form GetPixel api. This a long data type. How do I convert this to RPG?

Thanks

Re: Color

Quote Originally Posted by AccessShell View Post
    I get a "COLOR" form GetPixel api. This a long data type. How do I convert this to RPG?

Thanks
    RPG? Rocket Propelled Grenade? Role Play Game? Not sure "COLOR" can be converted to those.

It can be converted to RGB (Red, Green, Blue) though. The low-order byte (of the long) is Red, the next-to-low byte is Green, the third is Blue, and the high byte depends on the context (possibly Alpha or possibly an OLE Color flag).

You just need to know how to take apart a Long into four (or maybe just three) bytes.

EDIT: I just looked and GetPixel doesn't use the high-order byte at all, other than indicating an error if one occurred.

EDIT2: You could have it return the following UDT, and the work would be done (as opposed to returning a Long). Just change the API declaration. And check nada for &hFF to make sure there wasn't an error.

Code:
    Public Type MyRGB
        red     As Byte
        green   As Byte
        blue    As Byte
        nada    As Byte
    End Type
    Last edited by Elroy; Aug 3rd, 2022 at 12:41 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

About 20 years ago I worked on a mainframe reporting application called RPG. Report Program Generator.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Thank you Elroy, I am not into RPGs. Although about 50 yrs ago I wrote in RPG I.
    How do I change the GetPixel function as you suggest? I tried to
    Code:
    Public Declare Function GetPixelFormat Lib "gdi32.dll" (ByVal hDC As Long) As MyRGB
    The function does not like it!

I modified the program by placing RGB(0,0,255) into a picture box. I ran the program and got 16711680 as the long value. I cannot see how this becomes the RGB value.

I got it. I got the conversion and all works fine now.

Thanks

Re: [RESOLVED] Color

Yeah, just getting back. It looks like you made the change to the wrong API call. I'm assuming you figured that out.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Actually, I made the change to the right API call. I wrote the wrong API call in the post.

Code:
    Private Sub GetRGB(ByVal c As Long, ByRef R As Byte, ByRef G As Byte, ByRef B As Byte)

R = c And &HFF&
        G = (c And &HFF00&) / 256
        B = (c And &HFF0000) / 65536

End Sub
    You can extract individual colour channels from a Long using the above code in VB6.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Code:
    Private Sub GetRGB(ByVal c As Long, ByRef R As Byte, ByRef G As Byte, ByRef B As Byte)

R = c And &HFF&
        G = (c And &HFF00&) / 256
        B = (c And &HFF0000) / 65536

End Sub
    You can extract individual colour channels from a Long using the above code in VB6.
    Boo, I was trying to let him figure that out on his own.

Also, we should probably use integer division, so it's not doing a lot of type casting in the expression. Also, that 256 should probably have an "&" on it so that's not typecast as well.
    Last edited by Elroy; Aug 4th, 2022 at 10:02 AM.

PowerPoster

Watch out though, VB colors are not that simple.

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Const WIN32_NULL As Long = 0

Private Enum HRESULT
        S_OK = 0
        E_INVALIDARG = &H80000003
        E_UNEXPECTED = &H8000FFFF
    End Enum

Private Type RGBQUAD
        rgbBlue As Byte
        rgbGreen As Byte
        rgbRed As Byte
        rgbReserved As Byte
    End Type

Private Declare Function OleTranslateColor Lib "oleaut32" ( _
        ByVal clr As OLE_COLOR, _
        ByVal hPal As Long, _
        ByRef RGBQUAD As RGBQUAD) As HRESULT

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim RGBQUAD As RGBQUAD

With RGBQUAD
            OleTranslateColor BackColor, WIN32_NULL, RGBQUAD
            Debug.Print .rgbRed; .rgbGreen; .rgbBlue
            OleTranslateColor ForeColor, WIN32_NULL, RGBQUAD
            OleTranslateColor vbCyan, WIN32_NULL, RGBQUAD
        End With
    End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Watch out though, VB colors are not that simple.
    Yeah, but Dil, his question was specifically about the return of GetPixel. They are pretty simple in that context.

PowerPoster

True enough, but we have seen this story play out several times here.

Somebody is given the simplistic "solution" and then comes back crying when it fails used elsewhere. Asking such a fundamental, trivial, and obvious question in the first place is wearing a big sign saying "I do not know what I am doing!"

That's fine, but then they need to be given a more complete answer. We could even go into what OLE_COLOR means and where a palette comes into the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    True enough, but we have seen this story play out several times here.

Somebody is given the simplistic "solution" and then comes back crying when it fails used elsewhere. Asking such a fundamental, trivial, and obvious question in the first place is wearing a big sign saying "I do not know what I am doing!"

That's fine, but then they need to be given a more complete answer. We could even go into what OLE_COLOR means and where a palette comes into the picture.
    Interestingly, it probably would have played out with me. I always assumed OLE_COLOR was just a simple alias/typedef that tells the programmer to "treat this 32 bit Integer as an RGB structure". I never imagined that there was more to it than that so I never looked it up. I just looked it up and I'm amazed that I wrote a lot and I mean a lot of code back in the day dealing with colours in VB6 and never ran into a problem that forced me to look up what an OLE_COLOR really is. I really got lucky.

Anyways, if I wanted to protect myself from non-RGB OLE_COLORs without the OleTranslateColor API, could something like this work? :-
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()

Dim r As Byte, g As Byte, b As Byte

GetRGB RGB(23, 56, 255), r, g, b

Debug.Print r, g, b

'Throws an error because this is OLE_COLOR is actually
        'an entry into a palette and not RGB
        GetRGB Me.BackColor, r, g, b

End Sub
    Private Sub GetRGB(ByVal c As Long, ByRef r As Byte, ByRef g As Byte, ByRef b As Byte)

If (c And &HFF000000) = 0& Then

r = c And &HFF&
            g = (c And &HFF00&) / 256&
            b = (c And &HFF0000) / 65536

'This is untested. I don't know where to find an OLE_COLOR
        'where OleColorType = RgbColor.
        ElseIf c And &HFF000000 = &H2000000 Then

b = c And &HFF&
            g = (c And &HFF00&) / 256&
            r = (c And &HFF0000) / 65536

Else
            Err.Raise vbObjectError + 50000, , "Invalid operation. Cannot translate paletted color"
        End If
    End Sub
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

The Idiot

Code:
    Private Type MyRGB
        red     As Byte
        green   As Byte
        blue    As Byte
    End Type

Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (lpDest As Any, lpSource As Any, ByVal cbCopy As Long)

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim Col As MyRGB

CopyMemory Col, vbBlue, 3
        MsgBox vbBlue & vbNewLine & Col.red & ":" & Col.green & ":" & Col.blue
    End Sub