Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jan 6th rioter sentenced

Re: Jan 6th rioter sentenced

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    You have no idea how extremely insulting this is to people like me. My ancestors were lynched, raped with impunity, sprayed with water, had dogs set upon them, had their manhoods cut off by your ancestors and all of it sectioned implicitly by the state!
    Based on this statement, it appears that you're a person who wouldn't have the level of equality you do today if your ancestors hadn't had allies fighting for them. No minority gains equality on their own. They need allies from within the majority to fight for their cause. When the fight for racial equality was at its height in the US and elsewhere, what do you suppose the white people who wanted to maintain the status quo thought of those white people who wanted to enact change and treat black people with dignity? Now here you are treating us in a similar manner for trying to help another minority be treated with dignity. I hope you're proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I mean for example, you just used the phrase "dead naming". 20 years ago, is that a phrase you ever used in a conversation? I'm guessing the answer is no. This is just another phrased introduced to the woke lexicon of the left that leftists like you have adopted mindlessly.
    I know I said I wasn't going to address anything else but who can resist such a blatantly silly argument? No, I would have used the term "dead-naming" 20 years ago? Would you have used the term "woke" 20 years ago? You do understand that language evolves as new concepts arise and gain widespread acknowledgment right? We introduce new terms and expressions all the time and people don't complain because there's nothing to complain about. Evolution of language is only a problem when it evolves to describe something you don't like.

On the subject of dead-naming specifically, what should I have said instead? People change their name all the time. Almost half the population change their name at least once in their life - women when they get married - and pretty much no one has an issue with this. Conservatives don't seem to get confused by it at all. When it comes to transgender people changing their names though, suddenly it's a real issue. It's clearly not the name change that is the issue but the reason for the name change. Jordan Peterson - yes, him again - was recently suspended from Twitter for deliberately misgendering and dead-naming Elliot Page. He then made a completely ridiculous video trying to justify his position. He deliberately used both his old and new names to refer to Elliot Page in an effort to portray naming trans people as awkward, when referring to Elliot Page is no different than referring to Jordan Peterson. He also claimed that he would rather die than delete the offending tweet. I know you hate virtue-signalling so this must really make you livid. So, "dead-naming" refers to something specific, i.e. using the old name of a trans person who has changed their name to reflect their gender. It's a convenient term to use for that but and, as there is a section of society who are doing that deliberately, it makes sense to have a term for it. If you have an issue with it, what do you think we should say instead? Also, if there was a large section of society who insisted on referring to married women by their maiden name, do you think there's a chance that conservatives, who are already up in arms about "the war on marriage" would get upset about that and do you think there's a chance that a brief, convenient term might arise to describe it so we didn't have to use a long-winded expression every time?

In fact, it is you who have accepted things without thought, which is clear from the obvious holes in all your arguments.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

On the Elliot Page thing, I think Umbrella Academy showed the perfect way to handle someone transitioning: simple acceptance. Nothing more is needed.

Saying that there are only 2 genders is not oppression!
    It is though. It certainly doesn't rise to levels of the slave trade (I don't think anyone's saying it does) but that's simply a question of magnitude. A punch in the face does not stop being violence because murder exists.

Almost half the population change their name at least once in their life - women when they get married - and pretty much no one has an issue with this.
    Yeah, I touched on this up thread when I asked if Niya objected to women retaining their maiden name after marriage. The answer was, unsurprisingly, no, despite that being a deviance from the historically accepted norm. So this is not about an ability to understand changing societal norms.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Aug 10th, 2022 at 03:32 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234