Thread: How can I input an existing data series into a sub that controls MSCHART

How can I input an existing data series into a sub that controls MSCHART

I want to use MSCHART with VB6 to be able to plot two lines on the same chart. The example I think will work for me is in this thread on the ninth post:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ination-needed

But I have hit a snag. The example generates the data matrices in the code that controls the MSCHART. In my case, my data series exists already in a sub in a different module from the form that contains the MSCHART. How can I make my matrix variables replace the locally generated series (in Sub Chartit)?

My data looks like this. There are two series in two variables.

n ChartPointsAc ........ n ChartPointsRe
    1 5.62212463652474 1 10.7578753634753
    2 6.50250842134825 2 9.87749157865175
    3 6.92226725141999 3 9.45773274858001
    4 7.19301243651532 4 9.18698756348468
    5 7.39461007232716 5 8.98538992767284
    6 7.55893544986895 6 8.82106455013104
    7 7.70250069151093 7 8.67749930848907
    8 7.83646642657158 8 8.54353357342841
    9 7.97283240645675 9 8.40716759354325
    10 8.19 10

I want to send the matrices ChartPointsAc and ChartPointsRe which are located in: Module=Table4, Sub=TTABK4

The example data is in Module=frmDRchart, Sub=Private Sub ChartIt(CurSeries As Integer) (The integer indicates which series it is.

Sub Chartit is referenced in form_load twice, ie: Chartit 1, and Chartit 2, but that does not pass data.

How can I replace the example data series' created in Sub Chartit with my 2 series'?
    Last edited by StanH; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 12:54 AM.

PowerPoster

Re: How can I input an existing data series into a sub that controls MSCHART

You can either use the 2 dimensional Variant array property ChartData to provide data to MSChart, or you can use the more laborious but fine-grained control offered by the DataGrid object property.

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
        'First dimension is Row, second is Column (data series):
        Dim Data(1 To 5, 1 To 2) As Variant
        Dim Series As MSChart20Lib.Series

'We *could* add a 3rd column and assign String values for each Row as the first
        'column.  Those would be used as Row Label values instead of the default R1, R2,
        'etc. that we get here:
        Data(1, 1) = 1.2:  Data(1, 2) = 2.1
        Data(2, 1) = 2.3:  Data(2, 2) = 2.005
        Data(3, 1) = 2.1:  Data(3, 2) = 1.8
        Data(4, 1) = 3.95: Data(4, 2) = 0.8
        Data(5, 1) = 0.5:  Data(5, 2) = 2.3

BackColor = vbWhite
        With MSChart1
            .chartType = VtChChartType2dLine
            .RandomFill = False
            'Assign the data:
            .ChartData = Data
            'That established our series count as well as the data, so now do some formatting:
            With .Plot
                .Axis(VtChAxisIdX).CategoryScale.LabelTick = True
                .Axis(VtChAxisIdY2).AxisScale.Hide = True
                For Each Series In .SeriesCollection
                    With Series
                        .Pen.Width = 30 'Twips, not Points as the docs say.
                        With .SeriesMarker
                            .Show = True
                            .Auto = False
                        End With
                        With .DataPoints.Item(-1).Marker
                            .Style = VtMarkerStyleFilledCircle
                            .Size = 150 'Twips, not Points.
                        End With
                    End With
                Next
            End With
        End With
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Resize()
        If WindowState <> vbMinimized Then
            MSChart1.Move 0, 0, ScaleWidth, ScaleHeight
        End If
    End Sub
    MSChart has a complex object model, but getting data into it is probably the simplest thing about it.

In that example the data is created in the Form_load on the form with the MSCHART. How can I make my variant data array that is in another sub&module accessible from there?

My problem is to be able to declare the right scope to get an array of data created in a different module as either a double or a variant matrix into the chart form that the chart is in -- either the form_load or the sub that runs the chart.
    Last edited by StanH; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 04:50 PM.

I tried to access the data series double matrix by putting it in the module level of where it was made. Then from the chart form I tried to reference it. I could see it but not access it.

PowerPoster

There is nothing special about MSChart in this regard. Wherever you assign the array to ChartData both things must be in scope.

Code external to the Form might call a public procedure in the Form, passing the array as a parameter. Or less gracefully it might grab the MSChart instance and assign to ChartData:

Code:
    Form1.MsChart1.ChartData = TwoDimVariantArray
    Form1 is public, as is its MSChart1 control.

It's all very straightforward. I don't see any mystery here.

dilettante, What is the reason you use variant arrays?
    Are they necessary?
    Why wouldn't double work just as well?

I have succeeded in getting the two arrays into the charting code and verifyied that they contain the correct data.

It still isn't working though.

1 I do not get a chart on the screen.

2 When the program stops - the one that initiates the chart - the IDE indicates it is still running. I stop it with [Run][End] with the run menu

PowerPoster

I used a 2-D Variant array because that's what MSChart requires.

The array holds both Row and Column data, so two dimensions. The "cells" can be String in the 1st Column as Row labels (optional) while it can be Integer or Long or Single or Double for the remaining data Columns.

This is described in the documentation.

How can the program "stop" but "keep running?"

It sounds like you have some sort of problem with the flow of control. VB is not QBasic, all of your code must be in procedures that do a job like handling an event or doing initial setup (Sub Main). These must quickly return control to the message loop by exiting back to the runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I used a 2-D Variant array because that's what MSChart requires.

The array holds both Row and Column data, so two dimensions. The "cells" can be String in the 1st Column as Row labels (optional) while it can be Integer or Long or Single or Double for the remaining data Columns.
    I have converted my series matrices to Variant. I verified that the data get to chart code correctly.
    I also made two functions in the chart module - one for each series: Data1 and Data2:

Function Data1()
    Data1 = TABLE4.ChartPointsAc
    End Function

Function Data2()
    Data2 = TABLE4.ChartPointsRe
    End Function

TABLE4 is the module where the sub is that creates the matrices. They are declared in that module at the module level only.

The functions are used in the charting module like: "ChartPoints = Data1".

ChartPoints is declared in Sub Form_load and in Private Sub ChartIt(). It is also declared at module level I'm not sure the module level declaration is used. It wasn't sufficient to use in the Subs.

This is described in the documentation.
    Perhaps I should follow the example you posted as second post in this thread.
    I could also use a link to help me understand how MSChart works

"How can the program "stop" but "keep running?"

It sounds like you have some sort of problem with the flow of control. VB is not QBasic, all of your code must be in procedures that do a job like handling an event or doing initial setup (Sub Main). These must quickly return control to the message loop by exiting back to the runtime.
    I will continue to study that. I expected the chart to show following the execution of "Load frmDRchart" but it doesn't. I traced the execution through the "Private Sub MDIForm_Unload(Cancel As Integer)

There is also a "frmReportHolder2.frm" that holds some test report on the MDIform. I have to figure that out because I don't remember how I set it up 35 to 45 years ago. I think it is a utility I purchased.