Thread: Accessing a file

Question Accessing a file

While I was studying how to write a P2P program, I came across a thread, on this forum, on writing a game that needed a common folder for data. I cannot find that thread again.

So, it is relatively easy to create a shared folder on of the PCs. These PCs are a LAN, with the same workgroup name. You can see each others name in the file explorer.

The program that resides on the PC which houses the shared folder can easily access and files."C:\SharedFolder\FileName.***", where *** is any file type. However, on the other PC, how do I address the file. I don't think I can.

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: Accessing a file

\\NameOfComputerWithSharedFolder\ShareName\PotentialSubfolder\Filename.extension

This requires several things, the configuration of each of which depend on the OS's involved:

-Proper permissions configured on the share level and the file system level
    -Proper credentials used, so that the first PC recognizes the passed username and password from the second PC as being known and valid
    -Proper TCP/IP configuration on each PC

Sorry, I can't offer any further specific details as far as what steps you should be taking if your connection attempts fail. It is just too difficult to try to walk someone through setting something like that up remotely using forum posts to communicate.

Good luck.

PowerPoster

It isn't a programming issue anyway. This is a general knowledge and LAN administration question that belongs in General PC if anywhere.

I think there is a fine line between a programming question and a general knowledge question. From my perspective, when trying to write code, it is a programming question.

They are correct, this isn't programming related. I've moved the thread to general PC.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, itís bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram