Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convert binary data to a valid Unicode string whitout wasting (much) space ❓

PowerPoster

Re: Convert binary data to a valid Unicode string whitout wasting (much) space ❓

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    When you are not willing to follow advice, then your problems will continue I guess...

Here's my advice-list again:
    - first and foremost: remove all DoEvents-calls which sit (even indirectly) between Begin/End-Transaction-calls
    - better even, remove any DoEvents-calls completely (use a Timer instead, or multiple threads or processes)
    You are very funny.
    Your misunderstanding of programming with DoEvents seems to be uttermost (I would never guessed).

- hold your App-Settings in its own AppSettings-DBFile
    Yes, I guess that could help in some cases, but it should not be necessary.

- put your cache-dbfile(s) into a separate \Cache\-Subfolder
    It is already in a "Data" folder alone, but I can't see the point.

.. (which should be deletable by the User, then automatically recreating itself in further runs without problems...
    It works like that already.

... these potential cache-deletes will not affect any User-Settings in your separate AppSettings-DBFile)
    Well, now if the user deletes the database, the settings are also gone. Not big deal I guess, since they are just preferences and states. If the user deletes something, he must know that something will be lost.

If you don't follow any of this - then at least post code-examples which clearly show,
    that the problem came from the RC6-wrapper (and not your own user-code).

E.g. your "ReadOnly-problem" falls clearly into this category (I have no clue, what you're doing there)...
    Keep in mind, that "opening a DB in read-only mode" is "per Connection" (not per DBFile).

Olaf
    Are you saying that opening the database read-only silently, instead of issuing an error didn't come from RC6?
    How can I get an error telling me that the database is read-only and that I can't write, if there is no option in the connection object to specify whether to open it read-only or read/write?

I'm quite sure that the situation was that I was zipping the database using Winrar, and it was still not finished when I've hit F5 in the IDE and ran the program.
    It started OK, until minutes later it needed to write something...
    It should be clear if you need or not write access at the connection time.

PowerPoster

Re: Convert binary data to a valid Unicode string whitout wasting (much) space ❓

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    This whole thread makes me want to write a self-rolled binary tree key/value class. I'd do it, but the "self-balancing" aspect is a bit daunting to me. The rest is pretty straight-forward stuff.

And, if we had our own, we could decide if it was ANSI or Unicode keys, and also do things like "return key(s) for value" type functions.
    That's already done here (or something like that).

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    This whole thread makes me want to write a self-rolled binary tree key/value class.
    Which (as a file) will then have to be used "task-exclusively" - because:
    - handling potential concurrent writes
    - handling potential concurrent reads (on committed and/or uncommited data)
    is what makes a handwritten, bugfree approach otherwise not feasible.

Eduardos problems are a bit "blown out of proportion",
    because he's insisting on having "concurrent writes on a separate DB-Connection to the same file"
    (whilst the other Connection is within a loooong Transaction, with "Doevents sprinkled in").

SQLite is perfectly capable to handle a simple Key/Value-store (even *with* a looong-duration-transaction) -
    when the Key-Value-store-DBFile would be handled *exclusively as well*.
    (by simply separating the Cache-DBFile from the AppSetting-DBFile).

Olaf

PowerPoster

PS: it seems that the latter cause if the "too busy" error was caused by closing a connection without ending the current transaction.
    Now I'm testing again with that fix and seems not to cause the error.
    But at least the error message should be a bit more helpful.
    For example an error message at the connection closing, telling me that I left a transaction open.

PowerPoster

The main problem seems to be the locking mode of SQLite, but I'll have to live with that.
    I think it might be possible in a component to handle transactions automatically, but not easy to do (and work OK) probably.
    I'm talking for example about a DAO-like component that I have somewhat in mind.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    You are very funny.
    Your misunderstanding of programming with DoEvents seems to be uttermost (I would never guessed).
    Then ask JPBro, the trick, wqweto or anyone with a modicum of DB-experience - whether:
    BeginTrans
    ... DoEvents, Eduardo-style
    CommitTrans
    is a good idea.

...now if the user deletes the database, the settings are also gone.
    As already advised, easily avoidable - but if you insist...

Are you saying that opening the database read-only silently....
    RC5/6 will *not* "open a database readonly silently"...
    (it has to be done explicitely via the cConnection.OpenDBReadOnly-method).

So, my guess is, that you have "mixed SQLite-wrappers" in your CodeBase
    (as e.g. the one from Krool) - or have "played around" with explicit SQLite-API-open-calls (bypassing the COM-wrappers).

As said already, I will look at this myth, as soon as you post code-examples which are able to reproduce that.

Olaf

PowerPoster

For example an error message at the connection closing, telling me that I left a transaction open.
    That's not necessary at all, because normally Transactions should be opened and closed:
    - within the same function
    - which has a proper ErrHandler, so that leaving the function is only possible with either "Commit" or "RollBack"
    - which shall not have any DoEvents in-between the Open and End-Transaction-calls
    - and of course also no DoEvents in any potential SubRoutines this function is calling-into

This way, it is just not possible to mess-up the transaction-stack.

Olaf

PowerPoster

Then ask JPBro, the trick, wqweto or anyone with a modicum of DB-experience - whether:
    BeginTrans
    ... DoEvents, Eduardo-style
    CommitTrans
    is a good idea.
    There is no reason for that to be a problem (if there are not windows that can receive messages involved). I don't know what The Trick would say, but if he says that there is a problem, I'm quite sure he will tell what exactly is the issue (and not a general fear of DoEvents due to not understanding how it works).

As already advised, easily avoidable - but if you insist...
    I don't think that the users will be deleting that file, and if someones does, yes, he will delete some (unimportant) things that all can be recreated.

RC5/6 will *not* "open a database readonly silently"...
    (it has to be done explicitely via the cConnection.OpenDBReadOnly-method).

So, my guess is, that you have "mixed SQLite-wrappers" in your CodeBase
    (as e.g. the one from Krool) - or have "played around" with explicit SQLite-API-open-calls (bypassing the COM-wrappers).
    I don't have Krool's component even referenced on this program now.
    How a connection opened normally can become read-only?

I'll see if I can generate the same situation/error.

PowerPoster

That's not necessary at all, because normally Transactions should be opened and closed:
    - within the same function
    - which has a proper ErrHandler, so that leaving the function is only possible with either "Commit" or "RollBack"
    - which shall not have any DoEvents in-between the Open and End-Transaction-calls
    - and of course also no DoEvents in any potential SubRoutines this function is calling-into

This way, it is just not possible to mess-up the transaction-stack.

Olaf
    I see you are too narrow-minded about how program's client code could work.
    And I mean, right or wrong. A component maker should think in all situations, and not to expect what he thinks is the "right" thing.

That's the same principle for every program: the programmer should think the final user would do everything that he should not do.

And of course I do not agree at all with your view on DoEvents, but that should be very clear now already.
    DoEvents does nothing to the database, it has nothing to do with the database (unless you tell me that you have put a dummy window that receive timer events and does whatever strange thing).

PowerPoster

[DoEvents within an ongoing, looong DB-Transaction]
    There is no reason for that to be a problem ...
    No reason? Two postings above you've just posted a problem you've fixed, *caused* by that.
    (where you were closing your App - from "inside of your DoEvents-call", leaving the transaction open whilst closing the Connection)

Olaf

PowerPoster

No one is forcing you to use RC6.

PowerPoster

I do not agree at all with your view on DoEvents, but that should be very clear now already.
    Which is the main-reason, why this thread goes on and on...
    (as said, you've just fixed another problem, related to your own idea, to place DoEvens within a transaction)

DoEvents does nothing to the database, it has nothing to do with the database
    You still don't understand, that transactions are a "sensitive thing" (in any DB-scenario).
    I've already explained, that one is well-advised:
    1) to encapsulate Open- and EndTrans-calls within the same function
    2) and making *very-sure*, that this function is not left, without either a Commit- or Rollback-call.

DoEvents has nothing directly to do with DataBases -
    but it is very, very easy - to break rule 2) above (when you use DoEvents from within a "transaction-routine").

I seriously hope you get it now...

And no, there is no "Window" in the RC-SQLiteWrapper or other "async stuff"
    The mess is entirely your own creation... (whilst dismissing any advice on the topic, which was given several times by now)

Olaf

PowerPoster

[DoEvents within an ongoing, looong DB-Transaction]

No reason? Two postings above you've just posted a problem you've fixed, *caused* by that.
    (where you were closing your App - from "inside of your DoEvents-call", leaving the transaction open whilst closing the Connection)

Olaf
    The problem was that generic error "Too busy" instead of saying something more specific.
    I now handled it from my side:

Code:
    Public Sub CloseDatabase()
        If Not mDataBase Is Nothing Then
            If mDataBase.TransactionStackCounter > 0 Then
                If gInIDE Then Err.Raise 5, TypeName(Me) ,"Database is in a transaction, end it first."
                mDataBase.CommitTrans
            End If
            Set mRecImageData = Nothing
            Set mDataBase = Nothing
        End If
    End Sub
    Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    No one is forcing you to use RC6.
    You seems to be willing for me to leave RC6.

PowerPoster

Which is the main-reason, why this thread goes on and on...
    (as said, you've just fixed another problem, related to your own idea, to place DoEvens within a transaction)

You still don't understand, that transactions are a "sensitive thing" (in any DB-scenario).
    I've already explained, that one is well-advised:
    1) to encapsulate Open- and EndTrans-calls within the same function
    2) and making *very-sure*, that this function is not left, without either a Commit- or Rollback-call.

DoEvents has nothing directly to do with DataBases -
    but it is very, very easy - to break rule 2) above (when you use DoEvents from within a "transaction-routine").

I seriously hope you get it now...

And no, there is no "Window" in the RC-SQLiteWrapper or other "async stuff"
    The mess is entirely your own creation... (whilst dismissing any advice on the topic, which was given several times by now)

Olaf
    And your suggestion of using timers instead...
    Using timers would produce exactly the same situations.

I really think that you don't understand DoEvents.

The only difference using timers would be that it would be more complex and a lot slower.

I could not do this program without DoEvents, there is no chance.

I could disable everything, but that's not the idea. The idea is for the user to be able to cancel a task at any time.
    I'm doing what someone would expect from a normal program after year 2005/2010, nothing too special.

PowerPoster

So yeah, you probably shouldn't use or distribute software written by someone who you think doesn't know what they are doing. Thread solved.

Good luck.

That's already done here (or something like that).
    Yeah, I knew you had done that. But I'd really like to do it as a binary-tree. And yeah, I know hashes are faster. I just really like the intuitiveness of binary-trees. If I get some time, I'll probably study the balancing, and see if I can knock it out.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

I could not do this program without DoEvents, there is no chance.
    Well, I could ...
    (but that's probably because I understand what's going on behind DoEvents)...

Olaf

PowerPoster

So yeah, you probably shouldn't use or distribute software written by someone who you think doesn't know what they are doing. Thread solved.

Good luck.
    OK, I won't use any OCX anymore, because MS and other authors don't know what I'm doing.
    Good luck, specially with your business.

PowerPoster

Well, I could ...
    (but that's probably because I understand what's going on behind DoEvents)...

Olaf
    You could? LOL!

Yes, I also could use some threading class, that would add a lot of complexity and would be a lot harder to debug (and have many, many crashes) for no reason (having exactly the same issues with the database), being able to do it much easier with DoEvents.

PowerPoster

OK, I won't use any OCX anymore, because MS and other authors don't know what I'm doing.
    Good luck, specially with your business.

Good luck.

PowerPoster

You could?
    Yep - and without any crashes of course...
    (or any more "added complexity, due to insisting on calling DoEvents all over the place").

I'd even be willing to post an example (based on some source from you,
    when it covers what you're trying to do sufficiently).

Olaf

PowerPoster

Good luck.
    Who or what would be "they" in your sentence?

You solved the thread many times already, you seems to be a master thread-solver

PowerPoster

Who or what would be "they" in your sentence?

You solved the thread many times already, you seems to be a master thread-solver
    Ok, I can see the ambiguity.

The "they" is the writer of RC6. I'm saying if Eduardo thinks so little of Olaf's code (rightly or wrongly (but obviously wrongly)), then Eduardo probably just shouldn't use Olaf's code.

Or, if you are going to use his code, you could trust that what he is saying is correct and modify your code as such.

Yes, it's a bit of a "thrown bottle from the stands" from me, but the thread was already going off the rails and I wanted to see if I could get a flattened penny or two out of it before it gets the mod massage.

Good luck.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Aug 10th, 2022 at 01:22 PM.

PowerPoster

Yep - and without any crashes of course...
    (or any more "added complexity, due to insisting on calling DoEvents all over the place").

I'd even be willing to post an example (based on some source from you,
    when it covers what you're trying to do sufficiently).

Olaf
    Do not waste time. I have this program very advanced already.

PowerPoster

Ok, I can see the ambiguity.

The "they" is the writer of RC6. I'm saying if Eduardo thinks so little of Olaf's code (rightly or wrongly (but obviously wrongly)), then Eduardo probably just shouldn't use Olaf's code.

Or, if you are going to use his code, you could trust that what he is saying is correct and modify your code as such.

Yes, it's a bit of a "thrown bottle from the stands" from me, but the thread was already going off the rails and I wanted to see if I could get a flattened penny or two out of it before it gets the mod massage.

Good luck.
    Nice try, keep trying.

PowerPoster

How a connection opened normally can become read-only?

I'll see if I can generate the same situation/error.
    OK, I was able to recreate the situation of the error:

Name:  rc_bug2.png
Views: 256
Size:  6.6 KB

I did what I already described in some other message:

I started to compress the database file to a rar file using Winrar, and then while Winrar was still working, launched the program in the IDE.
    It opened the database without any error, but in a cCommand.Execute where the program attempts to add a new register, this error happens.

I have not VBSQLite referenced:

Name:  rc_bug3.png
Views: 299
Size:  19.1 KB

PowerPoster

OK, I was able to recreate the situation of the error:

I did what I already described in some other message:

I started to compress the database file to a rar file using Winrar, and then while Winrar was still working, launched the program in the IDE.
    It opened the database without any error, but in a cCommand.Execute where the program attempts to add a new register, this error happens.
    If memory serves, you had been using an Access database until recently and switched to SQLite because of size limitations.

What happens if you use your old code with your old access database (presumably you still have them) under the same test circumstances? "Rar"ing the access database and then running your old program code while it is still compressing? Is there an error thrown when the connection is first made to the database? Or is there only an error thrown when the first attempt is made to modify the database? Or, is no error thrown at all and everything just works?

You may think it isn't relevant to test that because you've moved on from Access, but it would at least clarify if it is handled differently.

PowerPoster

My guess is that WinRar has locked the file for read only access - RC6 won't know this until it tries to write to the DB, and that is why you get the error on write not on open/read.

If WinRar locks the file for exclusive access, then I suspect you'd get an error on open (this would need to be tested of course).

PowerPoster

BTW - you can have a responsive UI with a long-running process using a timer instead of DoEvents, and it won't be much slower than a tight-loop + DoEvents approach. I know you're trying to eke out every ounce of performance, so perhaps even a small hit is too much, but the basic idea is to run the tight loop for a period (say 150-250ms or so) inside a timer with the shortest interval.

Something like this:

Code:
    Private WithEvents mo_Timer As RC6.cTimer

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
       Set mo_Timer = New_C.Timer(1, True)
    End Sub

Private Sub mo_Timer_Timer()
       Dim l_Done As Boolean 
       Dim l_StartedAt As Double

mo_Timer.Enabled = False

l_StartedAt = New_C.HPTimer
       Do
          ' Do stuff here
          ' If Done processing, set l_Done = True
       Loop While (Not l_Done) And _
                        (New_c.HPTimer - l_StartedAt <= .15)

mo_Timer.Enabled = Not l_Done
    End Sub
    I'm doing something similar to the above in the following project, and it runs fast enough for me. Perhaps not up to your standard though.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    My guess is that WinRar has locked the file for read only access
    Yes.

If memory serves, you had been using an Access database until recently and switched to SQLite because of size limitations.

What happens if you use your old code with your old access database (presumably you still have them) under the same test circumstances? "Rar"ing the access database and then running your old program code while it is still compressing? Is there an error thrown when the connection is first made to the database? Or is there only an error thrown when the first attempt is made to modify the database? Or, is no error thrown at all and everything just works?

You may think it isn't relevant to test that because you've moved on from Access, but it would at least clarify if it is handled differently.
    Name:  rc_bug4.png
Views: 294
Size:  6.5 KB

At:

Code:
    Set gDataBase = DBEngine.OpenDatabase(DatabasePath)
    The message is in Spanish, here is a similar menssage in English.
    "Could not use the file because it is already in use."

PowerPoster

Yes.
    "Could not use the file because it is already in use."
    So Access probably performs some kind of write on connect, whereas RC6/Sqlite does not. You could try a quick write after you connect (maybe even trying to start a transaction would be enough?). If it fails then you know another app has locked the file read-only.

PowerPoster

BTW - you can have a responsive UI with a long-running process using a timer instead of DoEvents, and it won't be much slower than a tight-loop + DoEvents approach. I know you're trying to eke out every ounce of performance, so perhaps even a small hit is too much, but the basic idea is to run the tight loop for a period (say 150-250ms or so) inside a timer with the shortest interval.

Something like this:

Code:
    Private WithEvents mo_Timer As RC6.cTimer

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
       Set mo_Timer = New_C.Timer(1, True)
    End Sub

Private Sub mo_Timer_Timer()
       Dim l_Done As Boolean 
       Dim l_StartedAt As Double

mo_Timer.Enabled = False

l_StartedAt = New_C.HPTimer
       Do
          ' Do stuff here
          ' If Done processing, set l_Done = True
       Loop While (Not l_Done) And _
                        (New_c.HPTimer - l_StartedAt <= .15)

mo_Timer.Enabled = Not l_Done
    End Sub
    I'm doing something similar to the above in the following project, and it runs fast enough for me. Perhaps not up to your standard though.
    Once more: there is no problem with DoEvents.

PowerPoster

maybe even trying to start a transaction would be enough?
    No. You need to actually modify something.

PowerPoster

Once more: there is no problem with DoEvents.
    Oh good, it must have just been a bad dream I had then!

PowerPoster

Oh good, it must have just been a bad dream I had then!
    You must have read somewhere that DoEvents was "evil" and "should never be used".
    Probably in many places by many different people.

But it is myth.

PowerPoster

No. You need to actually modify something.
    Bummer. You could wrap the OpenDb method with your own that tries to create a random table. On failure due to SQLITE_READONLY, you could retry for a while (in case of something transient like a backup run/compression tool). Something like this (lightly tested):

Code:
    Public Function GetConnection(p_FilePath As String, Optional ByVal EncrKey As String, Optional ByVal EnableNestedTransactions As Boolean = True) As RC6.cConnection
       Const c_RetrySeconds As Long = 10   ' Retry getting write-able database for this long

Dim c As cConnection
       Dim e As Long  ' SQLite DB error code
       Dim e2 As String  ' SQLite DB error string
       Dim t As String   ' Random-ish table name
       Dim r As Boolean  ' If true, try to retry opening the connection, otherwise exit the loop
       Dim d As Double   ' Stores the timer value for when the method is called (for testing timeout)

d = New_c.HPTimer
       t = "test_" & New_c.Crypt.SHA256(CStr(d) & Now, True)  ' Random-ish table name

Do
          r = False
          Set c = New_c.Connection(p_FilePath, DBOpenFromFile, EncrKey, EnableNestedTransactions)

' Attempt to create a random table to see if the DB file is locked
          c.BeginTrans

On Error Resume Next
          c.Execute "CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS """ & t & """ (test INTEGER)"
          e = c.LastDBErrCode
          If e Then e2 = c.LastDBError
          On Error GoTo 0

c.RollbackTrans   ' Rollback the transaction since we don't want to keep the table if it was created successfully

If e <> 0 Then
             ' There was an error
             Set c = Nothing

If e = 8 Then
                ' SQLITE_READONLY - you could do something here like try to figure out who has it open,
                ' Or simply block for a while and retry

If New_c.HPTimer - d > c_RetrySeconds Then
                   err.Raise vbObjectError + e, , e2

Else
                   New_c.SleepEx 100
                   r = True
                End If

Else
                ' Some other error, raise it immediately
             End If
          End If
       Loop While r

Set GetConnection = c
    End Function

PowerPoster

Bummer. You could wrap the OpenDb method with your own that tries to create a random table. On failure due to SQLITE_READONLY, you could retry for a while (in case of something transient like a backup run/compression tool). Something like this (lightly tested):

Code:
    Public Function GetConnection(p_FilePath As String, Optional ByVal EncrKey As String, Optional ByVal EnableNestedTransactions As Boolean = True) As RC6.cConnection
       Const c_RetrySeconds As Long = 10   ' Retry getting write-able database for this long

Dim c As cConnection
       Dim e As Long  ' SQLite DB error code
       Dim e2 As String  ' SQLite DB error string
       Dim t As String   ' Random-ish table name
       Dim r As Boolean  ' If true, try to retry opening the connection, otherwise exit the loop
       Dim d As Double   ' Stores the timer value for when the method is called (for testing timeout)

d = New_c.HPTimer
       t = "test_" & New_c.Crypt.SHA256(CStr(d) & Now, True)  ' Random-ish table name

Do
          r = False
          Set c = New_c.Connection(p_FilePath, DBOpenFromFile, EncrKey, EnableNestedTransactions)

' Attempt to create a random table to see if the DB file is locked
          c.BeginTrans

On Error Resume Next
          c.Execute "CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS """ & t & """ (test INTEGER)"
          e = c.LastDBErrCode
          If e Then e2 = c.LastDBError
          On Error GoTo 0

c.RollbackTrans   ' Rollback the transaction since we don't want to keep the table if it was created successfully

If e <> 0 Then
             ' There was an error
             Set c = Nothing

If e = 8 Then
                ' SQLITE_READONLY - you could do something here like try to figure out who has it open,
                ' Or simply block for a while and retry

If New_c.HPTimer - d > c_RetrySeconds Then

Else
                   New_c.SleepEx 100
                   r = True
                End If

Else
                ' Some other error, raise it immediately
             End If
          End If
       Loop While r

Set GetConnection = c
    End Function
    Thanks for your idea.
    I was going to leave it as it is, because what user would be opening that file anyway? But you are correctly pointing that may be running a background backup utility or something momentarily locking the file.
    Based in your general idea, I did something similar:

Code:
    Public Property Get DatabasePath() As String
        Static sValue As String
        Dim c As Long

c = 0
        If sValue = "" Then
            sValue = App_Path & "\Data\imgcache"
            If FileExists(sValue & ".dat") Then
                If FileInUse(sValue & ".dat") Then 'let's wait a bit
                    Sleep 1000
                End If
                If FileInUse(sValue & ".dat") Then 'let's wait a bit more
                    Sleep 10000
                End If
                Do Until Not FileInUse(iIF(c = 0, sValue, sValue & "_" & c) & ".dat")
                    c = c + 1
                Loop
            End If
            sValue = iIF(c = 0, sValue, sValue & "_" & c) & ".dat"
        End If
        DatabasePath = sValue
    End Property
    Code:
    Private Declare Function CreateFile Lib "Kernel32" Alias "CreateFileA" (ByVal lpFileName As String, ByVal dwDesiredAccess As Long, ByVal dwShareMode As Long, ByVal lpSecurityAttributes As Long, ByVal dwCreationDisposition As Long, ByVal dwFlagsAndAttributes As Long, ByVal hTemplateFile As Long) As Long

Private Function FileInUse(ByVal strPathName As String) As Boolean
        Dim hFile As Long
        Const GENERIC_WRITE As Long = &H40000000
        Const OPEN_EXISTING As Long = 3
        Const INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE As Long = -1
        Const ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION As Long = 32

On Error Resume Next
        '
        'Remove any trailing directory separator character
        If Right$(strPathName, 1) = gstrSEP_DIR Then
            strPathName = Left$(strPathName, Len(strPathName) - 1)
        End If

Err.Clear
        hFile = CreateFile(strPathName, GENERIC_WRITE, 0, 0, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL Or FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH, 0)

If hFile = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE Then
            If (Err.LastDllError = ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION) Then
                FileInUse = True
            ElseIf (Err.LastDllError <> 0) Then
                Sleep 100
                Err.Clear
                hFile = CreateFile(strPathName, GENERIC_WRITE, 0, 0, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL Or FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH, 0)
                If hFile = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE Then
                    FileInUse = (Err.LastDllError = ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION)
                Else
                    CloseHandle hFile
                End If
            End If
        Else
            CloseHandle hFile
        End If
        Err.Clear
    End Function
    Now, the Set gDataBase = New_c.Connection(DatabasePath) comes with a path that is tested writable. Of course it may be a new database (still non-existent), but that's acceptable for my case.

PowerPoster

Code:
    Private Declare Function CreateFile Lib "Kernel32" Alias "CreateFileA" (ByVal lpFileName As String, ByVal dwDesiredAccess As Long, ByVal dwShareMode As Long, ByVal lpSecurityAttributes As Long, ByVal dwCreationDisposition As Long, ByVal dwFlagsAndAttributes As Long, ByVal hTemplateFile As Long) As Long

Private Function FileInUse(ByVal strPathName As String) As Boolean
        Dim hFile As Long
        Const GENERIC_WRITE As Long = &H40000000
        Const OPEN_EXISTING As Long = 3
        Const INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE As Long = -1
        Const ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION As Long = 32
    Well, a bit shorter than all this API-gymnastic would be a simple method-call on cFSO:
    If New_c.FSO.IsFileWritable(YourDBFile) Then...

Olaf

PowerPoster

You must have read somewhere that DoEvents was "evil" and "should never be used".
    Probably in many places by many different people.

But it is myth.
    I neither think it's evil, nor that it shouldn't ever be used. However, I read many posts where DoEvents is clearly a contributing factor to a problem (including in this thread), and resolving those problems probably kills more time than using DoEvents saves. If the only reason you call DoEvents is for UI responsiveness, then IMO a timer based approach is generally better for a small penalty (maybe 5%?). Another option is using the RC6 cThreadHandler to pass it all off to another thread that can run at 100% and burn as much CPU as you want while keeping the UI responsive.

Doubling-down and telling guys like Olaf & wqweto that they don't understand DoEvents is laughable though, so thanks for the chuckle

PowerPoster

I neither think it's evil, nor that it shouldn't ever be used. However, I read many posts where DoEvents is clearly a contributing factor to a problem (including in this thread), and resolving those problems probably kills more time than using DoEvents saves. If the only reason you call DoEvents is for UI responsiveness, then IMO a timer based approach is generally better for a small penalty (maybe 5%?). Another option is using the RC6 cThreadHandler to pass it all off to another thread that can run at 100% and burn as much CPU as you want while keeping the UI responsive.
    I'm thinking in writing an article about DoEvents like I already did about Twips/Pixels/DPI awareness, another difficult subject that even some most skilled programmers do not get it right, because I see it is something misunderstood even from very skilled programmers.

Doubling-down and telling guys like Olaf & wqweto that they don't understand DoEvents is laughable though, so thanks for the chuckle
    That's only because you base your thinking on prejudices, but they clearly are afraid as it was the boogeyman.

Olaf should had never say anything about whether I was using DoEvents or not, that had nothing to do with the database issue. He should had focused on his component, not in my code.
    The right question would had been: what situation could cause for my component to give that error?

Someone with clarity could have asked about "if there is a DoEvents, what could had happened in the middle?", but that's it. Not to give any direction about not using DoEvents and such, that only evidence lack of understanding.
    He does not have to say anything about how I do my program just because I used his component for the database stuff.

So, now because I had a problem regarding this database stuff, wqweto and anybody feel they have the right to criticize something based on prejudices?

Let's be clear about things: the fact that I now used Olaf's RC6 has nothing to do with him saying how I have to do my program. He should limit his instructions to the things that have to do with his component, not with other things.

I quite sure that I have a lot more experience programming with DoEvents than (probably) anyone that participated in this thread. It could seem pedantic but that's the truth.

Anyone with real understanding of an alleged issue would show with some lines of code where that big problem that they are talking about is. And not giving general advices against as it was the bogeyman.

I have big esteem of wqweto and Olaf, but what is laughable to me is when people follow other people blindly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast