Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convert binary data to a valid Unicode string whitout wasting (much) space ❓

PowerPoster

Convert binary data to a valid Unicode string whitout wasting (much) space ❓

OK, everybody waste space, so let's use Base64 or better: Hexadecimal.

But what if you need to save memory?

Copying byte arrays directly to strings work for some things, but other things don't work. For example for using that string as a Key in a collection.

I think there must be a clever way to handle that, for example just escaping the special code points that cause the string "corruption".
    Or converting to a much higher base, here someone a JavaScript script that does that: base32678 (unfortunately JavaScript, here the discussion)

What about the idea of escaping/modifying the special characters?

Re: Convert binary data to a valid Unicode string whitout wasting (much) space ❓

I have to ask. What is the ultimate goal here? As I understand it, encodings like base64 exist explicitly for transporting binary data through channels that are designed to support text only like a URL or a text file. In these cases we don't typically care about how efficient the format in terms of storage space. This seems like an odd request for a binary encoding format.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Re: Convert binary data to a valid Unicode string whitout wasting (much) space ❓

On the contrary, the channels that are so limited are teletypes, maybe old modems, old emails formats, and... URLs (old URLs).
    In today's world it is a waste of space in most places.

In VB6, it works with UTF-16, it does not need to be so limited.

In my special case, I need to save memory space. They are keys in a collection and now my program exhaust the 2GB local process memory because of that collection, that could be much smaller.

I was using 32 characters Hex keys, a total waste.
    Now I'm trying to use the 16 bytes hash from where they come from, using as close to 16 bytes as possible. Not need to be fixed the lengths, may be it will perform even more efficiently if they vary.

PowerPoster

Worth to mention that I already took out of the process local memory several arrays, but this collection remains using local RAM.

Perhaps using something like this but storing the array(s) also out of local memory.

Anyway I think the hashes I use should not waste so much space as they are doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    OK, everybody waste space, so let's use Base64 or better: Hexadecimal.

But what if you need to save memory?

Copying byte arrays directly to strings work for some things, but other things don't work. For example for using that string as a Key in a collection.

I think there must be a clever way to handle that, for example just escaping the special code points that cause the string "corruption".
    Or converting to a much higher base, here someone a JavaScript script that does that: base32678 (unfortunately JavaScript, here the discussion)

What about the idea of escaping/modifying the special characters?
    Define "special characters" in this context, do you mean anything outside of ASCII or ANSI characters? If so why not something like HTML encoding or possibly url encoding.

First time I have come across base32768, nice to see a .Net library available as well https://github.com/kzrnm/Base32768 - might have a proper look at that later as I am curious to see if I could find a use for it.

On the contrary, the channels that are so limited are teletypes, maybe old modems, old emails formats, and... URLs (old URLs).
    In today's world it is a waste of space in most places.

In VB6, it works with UTF-16, it does not need to be so limited.

In my special case, I need to save memory space. They are keys in a collection and now my program exhaust the 2GB local process memory because of that collection, that could be much smaller.

I was using 32 characters Hex keys, a total waste.
    Now I'm trying to use the 16 bytes hash from where they come from, using as close to 16 bytes as possible. Not need to be fixed the lengths, may be it will perform even more efficiently if they vary.
    That sounds like a HashSet or similar, if you don't ever need to retrieve a list of the keys then you only store the hash values.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    That sounds like a HashSet or similar, if you don't ever need to retrieve a list of the keys then you only store the hash values.
    The keys are already hash values, what I store and need to retrieve are Long values that are indexes.
    What take (more) space are the keys, not the values.

PowerPoster

Define "special characters" in this context, do you mean anything outside of ASCII or ANSI characters?
    I tried to explain already, and is the key point of this thread: any byte code, or more properly any byte code succession that can not be a valid string in UTF-16, or that is changed by functions that process text (as text and not as byte arrays). I guess they are not many of these invalid or control "characters".

Ok, I'm still having trouble understanding. So what you're saying is that you have 32 bit hash values that you're using as keys in a collection. These hash values are stored as Strings, presumably in hexadecimal format. So what you're asking is how to store the hash values as a String but in a format that uses less space. Is that about right?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I'm doing some testing and it seems that it is the collection object that has this problem but it is not something general, so resorting to an alternative collection might work.

The collection has an issue for example with the character ChrW(-24627), but if I set the collection to nothing always before the addition, it takes it with no problem, but if there are many keys already in the collection, adding that character causes an error (and starts erroring with any character), and strangely if I set it to nothing and start a new one after that, I also get the issue. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    So what you're asking is how to store the hash values as a String but in a format that uses less space. Is that about right?
    Yes.

Why use a string for the hash value? Could you not just use the underlying integer or long value of the hash?

Why use a string for the hash value? Could you not just use the underlying integer or long value of the hash?
    The Collection object in VB6 is not like a Dictionary<TKey,TValue> in .Net where you can use anything for a key. You have to use a String key.

I'm doing some testing and it seems that it is the collection object that has this problem but it is not something general, so resorting to an alternative collection might work.

The collection has an issue for example with the character ChrW(-24627), but if I set the collection to nothing always before the addition, it takes it with no problem, but if there are many keys already in the collection, adding that character causes an error (and starts erroring with any character), and strangely if I set it to nothing and start a new one after that, I also get the issue. Weird.

So what you're asking is how to store the hash values as a String but in a format that uses less space. Is that about right?
    Yes.
    If I ran into this problem, I'd most likely just write my own hash table implementation so I can use the binary keys as is. A 32 bit hash value can fit in a Long.

There is plenty of information online that tells you how they work and how to implement them. They are surprisingly not that sophisticated. To be honest, I've never had much love for VB6's Collection class and if VB6 were still my main language today, I'd avoid using them in favor of my own hand rolled implementations or something from a 3rd party. I find the Collection class too problematic but that's just me.

As for your idea of using some kind of String compression, the truth is you're never going to find a way of encoding the hash value as a String that is more space efficient than it's binary representation.

I mean think of a number like say, 15. Even if you use a 1 byte per character encoding, it will still take 2 bytes to store that number. However, it could be encoded using only 4 bits which is 4 times smaller than it's String representation. You will always run into issues like this when encoding binary data as a String.

The Collection object in VB6 is not like a Dictionary<TKey,TValue> in .Net where you can use anything for a key. You have to use a String key.
    I keep forgetting just how vb6 things work... Perhaps https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....lass-(no-APIs) might work instead.

I keep forgetting just how vb6 things work... Perhaps https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....lass-(no-APIs) might work instead.
    Yea, that could work but it will have to be modified as it uses String keys as is. Might be as simple as changing the internals from String to Long where keys are concerned.

PowerPoster

I'm using 32 Hexadecimal characters for the hash, they occupy 64 bytes in memory each hash, and they come from a 16 bytes binary hash (16 bytes binary).

I don't know how to use an numerical value in VB6 for such a huge number.

I would like to know, I guess there could be possible to have some collection with good performance and 16 bytes binary keys.

I made some testings but I'm still not sure if I could use smaller hashes without going into collisions, I'm still testing but these tests take a lot of time.

A 32 bit hash value can fit in a Long.
    It was 32 ASCII chars (64 bytes), not 32 "bits".

There must be a science about how long the Hash should be for being quite secure there won't be collisions (unless you win the lottery).

If I ran into this problem, I'd most likely just write my own hash table implementation
    The only problem of doing everything is that everything takes time.

PowerPoster

Perhaps using something like this but storing the array(s) also out of local memory.
    Your current 16Byte-Raw (probably MD5)-Hashes can be stored in a VBStrinig-Variable with no problem...
    An assignment like:

Dim Key As String
    Key = ByteArrayWith_16_HashBytes

Should result in a BSTR which occupies 4+16+2 = 22 Bytes of allocated memory.

You should be able to use this with the cHashD-implementation in your link -
    but please use the optimized version, mentioned in post #30:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5479053

This implementation can be further optiimized (regarding mem-usage),
    when you restrict the two at Class-Level defined Array-Variables:
    - mKeys() and mValues() (which are currently Variant)
    - to specific types like e.g. mKeys() As String, mValues() As Long

Olaf

PowerPoster

from String to Long
    You must be joking. Better then to use a counter instead of a hash.

The hashes must match the path of files in the file system.
    Then from the hashed path, I can get the data of that file that was previously saved withe the hash as the key.
    If I worked with the full path, there would be much worse space and performance problems.
    How do you think you could do that with 32 bits hashes without having collisions? (unless you are TheImp)

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Your current 16Byte-Raw (probably MD5)-Hashes can be stored in a VBStrinig-Variable with no problem...
    An assignment like:

Dim Key As String
    Key = ByteArrayWith_16_HashBytes

Should result in a BSTR which occupies 4+16+2 = 22 Bytes of allocated memory.

You should be able to use this with the cHashD-implementation in your link -
    but please use the optimized version, mentioned in post #30:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5479053

This implementation can be further optiimized (regarding mem-usage),
    when you restrict the two at Class-Level defined Array-Variables:
    - mKeys() and mValues() (which are currently Variant)
    - to specific types like e.g. mKeys() As String, mValues() As Long

Olaf
    OK, yes, thank you for the info. I already had found that the problem was in the VB collection (wasn't sure if there were others issues somewhere else too, the 'single quotes in the SQL query must be escaped but I already have done that).
    I'll have to move to that class then.

PowerPoster

I installed the cHash.

It seems that the SQLite database don't like those keys in the Text field.
    Like 1/4 of the keys are not found (after they are stored).
    Tried setting the field as BLOB type but does not work either, the problem is different, like the keys come back corrupted.

I think I'll have to convert to Hex ASCII or Base64 the keys that go to the database and then back to 16 bytes after retrieval.

Ok, I re-read all the posts in the thread more carefully and put some thought into this. You need to encode 16 bytes as a String but the problem is that a straight copy to a String buffer would end up producing characters that won't work with as a Collection key. This means you will have to encode the binary data as a String using something like Base64. However, this has the effect of bloating the data. It would take more than 16 bytes to store 16 bytes of data. I think this about sums up your problem.

There are three solutions as I see it:

One, would be find or invent and encoding format that produces a String that is usable as a Collection key while not bloating up the number of bytes required to store it. This might be possible, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

Secondly, you could use a different collection class like Olaf's cHashList that may be able to handle weird Unicode code points as keys. This is my favored solution.

Third, you use a different hashing algorithm like CRC32 to produce small 32 bit hashes. Given that CRC32 was invented more for error checking, it's probably not suitable if you need strong collision resistance. I would prefer this one if the collision resistance of CRC32 were acceptable.

PowerPoster

I already have to function to make the hashes, it is HashData.

OK, it is already working fine with cHashD. The hashes are Binary data stored in Strings in the VB6 part and converted to Hexadecimal ASCII for the database part.

BTW, I coded this couple of functions to make those conversions:

Do you have a recommendation, or know of an API for this task, that (maybe) could be better performant?

Code:
    Public Function StringToHex(nData As String) As String
        Dim iBytes() As Byte
        Dim c As Long
        Dim iStr As String

iBytes = nData
        For c = 0 To UBound(iBytes)
            iStr = Hex$(iBytes(c))
            If Len(iStr) = 1 Then
                iStr = "0" & iStr
            End If
            StringToHex = StringToHex & iStr
        Next c
    End Function

Public Function HexToString(nHex As String) As String
        Dim iBytes() As Byte
        Dim c As Long
        Dim c2 As Long
        Dim iLen As Long
        Dim iChar As String

iLen = Len(nHex)
        If iLen Mod 2 = 1 Then Err.Raise 5  ' must be even
        ReDim iBytes(iLen \ 2 - 1)
        c2 = -1
        For c = 1 To iLen Step 2
            c2 = c2 + 1
            iBytes(c2) = Val("&H" & Mid$(nHex, c, 2))
        Next
        HexToString = iBytes
    End Function

PowerPoster

Still I'm not very satisfied with this approach, I see that I'm having a performance hit converting to hex back and forth all the time.
    I'll investigate a bit what characters have problem with the database Text format. Then I come back to the OP.

PowerPoster

Still I'm not very satisfied with this approach, I see that I'm having a performance hit converting to hex back and forth all the time.
    I'll investigate a bit what characters have problem with the database Text format. Then I come back to the OP.
    Just define your SQLite HashField properly as Blob (instead of Text).

And then ensure, that in cour SQLite Command or Cursor-Objects,
    you pass a ByteArray as the Parameter (to the Cursor-Class) -
    this will entirely avoid any Hex-conversions.

Olaf

PowerPoster

I moved the code to the new version, unchunked, using a Cursor now, quite similar as the original.
    That part seems to be working apparently fine (I still couldn't test much), but I get an error. I'll describe the situation:

I open one database connection in a bas module and there I handle one table, that is a Configuration table where I store setting (as a SaveSetting replacement).
    That is done from a cRecordset, named mRecSettings that is opened at the program start and remains open until the program closes.

In a class module I load all the heavy data from the Files table (on demand, when needed). There I open another cConnection, a cCursor and a cCommand.
    When I start loading data I start a transaction and when I finish I close it.

I found before this same error that I'm having not, so I added properties to that class (that has global scope) and from the SaveSetting replacement procedure, when I need to update or add a new value to the Configuration table, I check if there is a transaction going on in the class module, and in that case End the transaction to be able to use this cRecordset.

But at this time I see that there is no transaction going on in the class, the .TransactionStackCounter property also reports 0, but I get the error anyway:

Name:  Trans_error.png
Views: 501
Size:  6.7 KB

The code at the procedure where I get the error is (in the bas module):

Code:
    Public gDataBase As cConnection
    Private mRecSettings As cRecordset
    Code:
    Public Sub SaveSettingDB(AppName As String, Section As String, Key As String, Setting As Variant, Optional Default)
        Dim iStr As String
        Dim iInTrans As Boolean

If Not IsMissing(Default) Then
            If CStr(Default) = Setting Then
                DeleteSettingDB AppName, Section, Key
                Exit Sub
            End If
        End If

If Not gImageDataLoader Is Nothing Then
            iInTrans = gImageDataLoader.DatabaseIsInATransaction
            If iInTrans Then gImageDataLoader.DatabasePauseTransaction
        End If

iStr = AppName & "_" & Section & "_" & Key
        If Not mRecSettings.FindFirst("Key = '" & iStr & "'") Then
            mRecSettings.AddNew
            mRecSettings!Key = iStr
        End If
        mRecSettings!value = Setting
        mRecSettings.UpdateBatch
        If iInTrans Then
            gImageDataLoader.DatabaseResumeTransaction
        End If
    End Sub
    The code for the connection that is executed at the program start is:

Code:
    Public Sub OpenDatabaseGeneral()
        If gDataBase Is Nothing Then
            On Error Resume Next
            Set gDataBase = New_c.Connection(DatabasePath)
            Set mRecSettings = gDataBase.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM Settings")

If Err.Number Then
                Set mRecSettings = Nothing
                Set gDataBase = Nothing
                Kill DatabasePath
                On Error GoTo 0
                If Not FileExists(DatabasePath) Then
                    CreateDatabase
                End If
                On Error Resume Next
                Set gDataBase = New_c.Connection(DatabasePath)
                Set mRecSettings = gDataBase.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM Settings")
                If Err.Number Then
                    MsgBox "Error opening cache database: " & Err.Number & " " & Err.Description, vbCritical
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End Sub
    The error occurs at the line mRecSettings.UpdateBatch

PS: this error already happened with the previous version.

PowerPoster

My guess is, that you use DoEvents somewhere in your Apps "larger loops" -
    is that the case?

Also, when gDataBase is a true global Variable (in a *.bas-Module),
    you should use it "everywhere in your App" -
    (and not open another cConnection on the same DB, in another Project-Private Class).

Do you have a small (complete) example, which reproduces that error-message?

Also, the code for:
    - gImageDataLoader.DatabaseIsInATransaction
    - gImageDataLoader.DatabasePauseTransaction
    - gImageDataLoader.DatabaseResumeTransaction
    would be nice to see

Olaf

PowerPoster

Thanks.

My guess is, that you use DoEvents somewhere in your Apps "larger loops" -
    is that the case?
    It wasn't any DoEvents involved when the error happened.
    Anyway I don't think it has anything to do.

Also, when gDataBase is a true global Variable (in a *.bas-Module),
    you should use it "everywhere in your App" -
    In this way I can handle the connections as needed. I mean, I know when to open and when to close each connection. One is global but may be closed too soon for the other needs.
    That's what classes are useful for, to enclose all needed there with its own timing, isolating from other things.

(and not open another cConnection on the same DB, in another Project-Private Class).
    So I can open just one connection at a time?

Also, the code for:
    would be nice to see

Olaf
    You already said if I understood correctly that only one connection is possible.
    Is that a restriction of RC6 or SQLite?

You already said if I understood correctly that only one connection is possible.
    Is that a restriction of RC6 or SQLite?
    No, there is no such restriction in sqlite or RC6 unless you are explicitly using PRAGMA locking_mode=EXCLUSIVE

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    No, there is no such restriction in sqlite or RC6 unless you are explicitly using PRAGMA locking_mode=EXCLUSIVE

cheers,
    </wqw>
    OK, but I'm not using that.
    Thanks.

PowerPoster

code for:
    Code:
    Public Property Get DatabaseIsInATransaction() As Boolean
        DatabaseIsInATransaction = mDataBase.TransactionStackCounter > 0
    End Property

Public Sub DatabasePauseTransaction()
        mDataBase.CommitTrans
    End Sub

Public Sub DatabaseResumeTransaction()
        mDataBase.BeginTrans
    End Sub
    mDataBase is the cConnection

It is opened in the Class_Initialize and closed in the Class_Terminate

PowerPoster

Code:
    Public Property Get DatabaseIsInATransaction() As Boolean
        DatabaseIsInATransaction = mDataBase.TransactionStackCounter > 0
    End Property

Public Sub DatabasePauseTransaction()
        mDataBase.CommitTrans
    End Sub

Public Sub DatabaseResumeTransaction()
        mDataBase.BeginTrans
    End Sub
    mDataBase is the cConnection

It is opened in the Class_Initialize and closed in the Class_Terminate
    Note that this is just a protection that I added intended to get rid of that error, but if multiple connections are allowed it should not be necessary.

Also, another thing to consider, is that I'm working with a completely different table from this connection and this cRecordset.

PowerPoster

I'm trying to figure the situation when it happens, and I could make it happen again but now the error changed (I think at least once I got this error instead before):

"Too busy to execute SQL statement"

I could not get the capture because the second time I resumed the execution I got the other one:

"Cannot start a transaction within a transaction". (The same posted above in the capture)

And in this case there is a DoEvents involved, because I in purpose closed the program when it was loading images:

Name:  Trans_error2.png
Views: 471
Size:  10.5 KB

The DoEvents is in cImageDataLoader.LoadImageData

How can that be a problem?

How can that be a problem?
    This is a huge problem. It's a very bad design for (system) components to spin thread messages which usually is wreaking havoc on client applications.

For instance WinHttpRequest and ServerXMLHTTP (both WinHTTP based) sometime spin messages which leads to catastrophic reentrancy in client apps.

In a server apps this is rearly a problem as these are not event driven per se. Some of these server apps don't have (or need) a message pump at all.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    This is a huge problem. It's a very bad design for (system) components to spin thread messages which usually is wreaking havoc on client applications.

For instance WinHttpRequest and ServerXMLHTTP (both WinHTTP based) sometime spin messages which leads to catastrophic reentrancy in client apps.

In a server apps this is rearly a problem as these are not event driven per se. Some of these server apps don't have (or need) a message pump at all.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    What do you exactly mean by "spin messages"?

But come on wqweto, you must know that there is not other way in long loops to keep the program responsive and allow user actions since VB6 is single threaded.

It is not a problem once reentrancy is handled (as I off course do).

Yes, there is another way: using timers. That really would make it a lot more complex, a lot slower, and will have the very same problem (regarding the database).

I don't know why you guys are so afraid of DoEevents really. I make programs that seem to be multithreaded just by using DoEvents, can't be done in other way, or it would be a lot cumbersome and slow using timers (no way).
    I've been programming this way for years already (when needed, of course).

Yes, you need to put some flags, not to access controls or form properties when the form is already unloaded, I think I have no need to explain that to you because you must understand that very well already.

Let other programmers be "DoEvents-fobic", but not you!

PowerPoster

I'm trying to figure the situation when it happens, and I could make it happen again but now the error changed (I think at least once I got this error instead before):

"Too busy to execute SQL statement"
    Here is the capture of that error message:

Name:  Trans_error3.png
Views: 359
Size:  7.3 KB

I don't know why you guys are so afraid of DoEevents really.
    Because when calling MyConn.Execute for instance I'm not prepared to handle Form_Unload *while* inside the method call i.e. I didn't put up special flags before each and every method call so to be able to cancel my form being unloaded, or "swallow" starting actions on clicks on any command button.

It is so much simpler to assume linear execution of the code with no reentrancy, because everything else leads to madness.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

I don't know why you guys are so afraid of DoEevents really.
    Because you have to really know:
    - when to call it
    - but especially "from where" to call it

I'd certainly not call it from within a Cnn.BeginTrans... Cnn.CommitTrans-CodeBlock.

IMO you are scanning for ImageFiles (across "entire local disks") -
    a task which is time-consuming "on its own" already (even without any fast DB-Transaction-Handling).

So, why not using a simple "re-shelling" of your current Executable with a Command-Parameter -
    which spawns an entire new (Worker-)Process for your larger ImageFileScans...?

These secondary "Worker-Processes" could be easily separated from the GUI-Process
    (which is detected via a simple Command$=="", in that case show the GUI...).

You could even shell multiple Scanner-Processes this way...
    (one for each local Drive-letter, because this makes sense FileScan-wise).
    And in this case (multiple local Drives, multiple Scan-Processes), I'd even ease the burden
    of "parallel writes" to the SQLite-Cache-DB, by creating a separate DB for each DriveLetter:
    - either as ImgCache_C.db3, ImgCache_D.db3, a.s.o.
    - or in a separate DBCache-SubFolder below your App.Path .\C\ImgCache.db3, .\D\ImgCache.db3

And your AppSettings.db3 could sit in its own File, directly (as usual) in your App.Path.

If you'd do so, you'd get:
    - an always responsive GUI-Process (without any DoEvents needed, not even in the WorkerProcesses which run "headless")
    - much better FileScan- and analysis-performance (make use of these multiple Cores, man...)
    - no transaction-conflicts in this case (with parallel running "WorkerProcesses per Drive", each addressing its own DB-File)
    - much better write-speed without concurrency-issues as well...
    ... (keep in mind, that SQLite allows only a single "WriteTransaction" at any time on a given DB)

How to communicate between the GUI- and Worker-Processes I leave to you,
    (e.g. your recent MemMapped-Arrays could be a good candidate for that task).

Olaf

PowerPoster

Because you have to really know:
    - when to call it
    - but especially "from where" to call it

I'd certainly not call it from within a Cnn.BeginTrans... Cnn.CommitTrans-CodeBlock.
    Why not?
    Of course I need to call it from there since it is the time consuming task.
    I don't see the point really, since the database system allows multiple connections.
    And, I also am Committing that transaction before I attempt any update on the other table (anyway it made not difference)

IMO you are scanning for ImageFiles (across "entire local disks") -
    a task which is time-consuming "on its own" already (even without any fast DB-Transaction-Handling).
    No, in that moment the files are already all scanned (before the data loading process begins, and then the transaction begins), and they are just local, not in a network.

So, why not using a simple "re-shelling" of your current Executable with a Command-Parameter -
    which spawns an entire new (Worker-)Process for your larger ImageFileScans...?
    I'm already doing exactly that but not for loading the data from the database, but when the data needs to be calculated (when it is still not cached in the database), because that takes more time and then I spawns several workers to get advantage of the several core processors that the CPU might have.

To load a normal amount of file-data from the database (when the data is already cached) is not very time consuming.
    In the case I got the error I was testing with about 400,000 files, and the data is loaded in some seconds (there I click to unload the form and get the error, that BTW didn't happen with DAO because it was working exactly in the same way)

These secondary "Worker-Processes" could be easily separated from the GUI-Process
    (which is detected via a simple Command$=="", in that case show the GUI...).

You could even shell multiple Scanner-Processes this way...
    Scanning is quite fast, well... relatively fast.
    In normal cases, for example those 400,000 files, it takes like 20 seconds only. (OK, it is a SDD M.2). I'm throwing numbers from the top of my head, maybe not exact but can give an idea of roughly the magnitude.
    And 400,000 files wouldn't be so a normal case anyway, a normal case would be 1000 to 50,000 files I guess.

But I considered to do some multiprocess when there are millions of files (less normal case ). Maybe in another version, if someone asks.
    I tested with 12,000,000 files and the scanning lasted like 30 minutes.
    The load from database (already cached) also took a lot (when using the chunked approach), but I could not test still with the new version. I first need to run and cache all the data, and when the data is not cached, for the 12,000,000 files it takes like 3 hours (yes, multiprocessing), and because I'm testing mainly with icons, otherwise with larger images that would take more.
    And the old database won't serve because it had the hashes in hexadecimal and now it works with 16-byte hashes binary (and the field is a BLOB, as you suggested).
    But the reason that it wasn't very fast with so much files was mainly because instead of VB6 arrays I need to work with Large arrays.

Windows itself is not very fast, if I right click for Properties on the directory where I have copied all these files, it takes a good time to fill the information too (not 30 minutes but several minutes, I didn't time it).

(one for each local Drive-letter, because this makes sense FileScan-wise).
    That would be the problem, how to split the search, because we don't know upfront where the files are.
    But this issue is entirely something else not related at all with this error I'm having (it is not about searching files).

And in this case (multiple local Drives, multiple Scan-Processes), I'd even ease the burden
    of "parallel writes" to the SQLite-Cache-DB, by creating a separate DB for each DriveLetter:
    - either as ImgCache_C.db3, ImgCache_D.db3, a.s.o.
    - or in a separate DBCache-SubFolder below your App.Path .\C\ImgCache.db3, .\D\ImgCache.db3

And your AppSettings.db3 could sit in its own File, directly (as usual) in your App.Path.

If you'd do so, you'd get:
    - an always responsive GUI-Process (without any DoEvents needed, not even in the WorkerProcesses which run "headless")
    - much better FileScan- and analysis-performance (make use of these multiple Cores, man...)
    - no transaction-conflicts in this case (with parallel running "WorkerProcesses per Drive", each addressing its own DB-File)
    - much better write-speed without concurrency-issues as well...
    ... (keep in mind, that SQLite allows only a single "WriteTransaction" at any time on a given DB)

How to communicate between the GUI- and Worker-Processes I leave to you,
    (e.g. your recent MemMapped-Arrays could be a good candidate for that task).

Olaf
    I don't think that separating by drive is a good idea. People tend to put all the media on one place.

I'm trying to build a sample project with the problem.

PowerPoster

Here is the sample project.

The first time, run, click start, wait to finish, close the form. At that time the database is filled with the data that is now cached.

The second time is the problem.

Run again. Click start. Unload the form from the X.
    It does not need to be within a DoEvents, you can click to unload the form when the process has already finished and the same error will happen.

So, you can test clicking to unload the form in the middle of the process, or when it finished.
    In the first case, it will come from a DoEvents, in the second case it won't. In both cases the same error.

The connection to the database is still open in the class at that time.
    If I set both references to the class instance to Nothing, it Terminates, and so closes the connection and the error won't happen.

But I wouldn't want to do that...
    TIA
    Attached Files Attached Files

PowerPoster

Here is the sample project.
    Thanks.

Whilst I take a look, you could take a look at my "minimal-demo" with regards to FileScans as well...
    (even if your approach is different, maybe you can steal some stuff from it).

It follows your "separate-connection" in the cImageDataLoader-Class -
    and even uses "DoEvents" within the "Transacted-Routine" itself
    (with proper re-rentrancy-protection in the Form of course).

The Project needs a Module, a Form and a Class, and starts from Sub Main:

modMain.bas
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Public gDBFile As String, gCnn As cConnection, gImageDataLoader As cImageDataLoader

Private mRecSettings As cRecordset

Sub Main()
      gDBFile = App.Path & "\ImageCache.db3"
      Set gCnn = OpenCnn(gDBFile)
      Set mRecSettings = gCnn.OpenRecordset("Select * From Settings")
          SaveSettingDB App.EXEName, "MySection", "MyKey1", "SomeSetting1"
          SaveSettingDB App.EXEName, "MySection", "MyKey2", "SomeSetting2"

Set gImageDataLoader = New cImageDataLoader
      Form1.Show
    End Sub

Public Function OpenCnn(DBFile As String) As cConnection
        If New_c.FSO.FileExists(DBFile) Then
           Set OpenCnn = New_c.Connection(DBFile)
        Else
           Set OpenCnn = New_c.Connection(DBFile, DBCreateNewFileDB)
               OpenCnn.Execute "Create Table Settings(Key Text Primary Key Collate NoCase, Value Text) Without RowID"
               OpenCnn.Execute "CREATE TABLE Files (PathHash Blob Primary Key, FileLen Int Default 0 NOT NULL, FileDate Real Default 0 NOT NULL, ImageData Blob NOT NULL) Without RowId"
        End If
    End Function

Public Sub SaveSettingDB(AppName As String, Section As String, Key As String, Setting As Variant)
        Dim iStr As String, iInTrans As Boolean

iStr = AppName & "_" & Section & "_" & Key
        If Not mRecSettings.FindFirst("Key = '" & iStr & "'") Then
           mRecSettings.AddNew
           mRecSettings!Key = iStr
        End If
        mRecSettings!Value = Setting
        mRecSettings.UpdateBatch
    End Sub
    cImageDataLoader.cls
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Sub HashData Lib "shlwapi" (ByVal pSrc&, ByVal SrcBytes&, ByVal pDst&, ByVal DstBytes&)

Private mCnn As cConnection
    Public TotalFilesScanned As Long

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
        Set mCnn = OpenCnn(gDBFile) 'though better would be, to use the gCnn here (when it's the same DB)
    End Sub

Public Sub DoFileComparisonsForDirectory(D As cDirList)
      Dim oCur As cCursor, oUpd As cCommand, oIns As cCommand 'a Cursor, an Update- and an Insert-Object
      Dim i&, FP$, FH(0 To 15) As Byte, pH&, FL&, DT As Date, BD() As Byte 'helper-variables for looping and buffering

mCnn.BeginTrans
          Set oCur = mCnn.CreateCursor("Select FileLen, FileDate, ImageData From Files Where PathHash=?")
          Set oUpd = mCnn.CreateCommand("Update Files Set FileLen=?, FileDate=?, ImageData=? Where PathHash=?")
          Set oIns = mCnn.CreateCommand("Insert Into Files(PathHash, FileLen, FileDate, ImageData) Values(?,?,?,?)")

pH = VarPtr(FH(0))

For i = 0 To D.FilesCount - 1
              TotalFilesScanned = TotalFilesScanned + 1

FP = LCase$(D.Path & D.FileName(i)) 'get the full, current filepath from the DirList-Object
              HashData StrPtr(FP), LenB(FP), pH, 16     'and calculate the current FilePathHash in a ByteArray

oCur.SetBlobPtr 1, pH, 16 'set the Cursor-Search-Param

If TotalFilesScanned Mod 256 = 0 Then
                 mCnn.CommitTrans
                    Form1.Caption = TotalFilesScanned & " " & FP
                    SaveSettingDB App.EXEName, "MySection", "LastScannedFolder", FP 'just to show that this works
                    DoEvents 'allow the GUI, to reflect Progress-Infos and stuff
                 mCnn.BeginTrans
              End If

If oCur.Step Then '<- if True, then a File-Entry with this Hash-Value exists in the DB-Table
                  FL = oCur.ColVal(0): DT = oCur.ColVal(1) 'so, let's read two values out for the following comparison

If FL = D.FileSize(i) And DT = D.FileLastWriteTime(i) Then 'the Cache-entry is valid...
                     BD = oCur.ColVal(2) '... so we can use the Cached Image_Data of the found record

Else 'we need to update the Cache-Entry in the DB-Table (the PathHash is the same, but FileLen and FileDate differ)
                     BD = "re-calculate the image-data-comparison-blob somewhere (accessing the FileSystem directly via Flist(i).FileName)"
                        oUpd.SetInt32 1, D.FileSize(i)
                        oUpd.SetDouble 2, D.FileLastWriteTime(i)
                        oUpd.SetBlob 3, BD 'store the new calculated Image_Data-Blob
                        oUpd.SetBlobPtr 4, pH, 16 'this last-Param is for the Where-Clause of our Update-Statement
                     oUpd.Execute
                  End If

Else 'File-Info is not yet in the DB-Table, so we perform an insert on all the 4 FieldValues
                  BD = "calculate the image-data-comparison-blob somewhere (accessing the FileSystem directly via Flist(i).FileName)"
                     oIns.SetBlobPtr 1, pH, 16
                     oIns.SetInt32 2, D.FileSize(i)
                     oIns.SetDouble 3, D.FileLastWriteTime(i)
                     oIns.SetBlob 4, BD 'store the new calculated Image_Data-Blob
                  oIns.Execute
              End If

DoSomethingWith BD '<-BD can be used now (it either came from the DB-Cache, or was freshly recalculated and cached)

Next
      mCnn.CommitTrans 'commit the changes in chunks (one Directory-cDirList-Object at a time)
    End Sub

Private Sub DoSomethingWith(BD() As Byte)
       'some actions, using the ImageCache-BlobData
    End Sub
    Form1.frm
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private StillSearching As Boolean

Private Sub Form_Load()
      Caption = "Click Me, to start scanning"
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Click()
      FileSearchOn "c:\", "*.jpg;*.png;*.gif;*.bmp"
    End Sub

Private Sub FileSearchOn(ByVal Path As String, Filter As String)
      If StillSearching Then MsgBox "I'm still searching": Exit Sub
      StillSearching = True
          gImageDataLoader.TotalFilesScanned = 0
          SearchRecursivelyOn Path, Filter
      StillSearching = False
      Caption = "Search finished"
    End Sub

Private Sub SearchRecursivelyOn(Path As String, Filter As String)
      Dim D As cDirList, i As Long
      On Error Resume Next 'to avoid potential rights-problems on certain folders
         Set D = New_c.FSO.GetDirList(Path, dlSortNone, Filter)
      On Error GoTo 0
      If D Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

If D.FilesCount Then gImageDataLoader.DoFileComparisonsForDirectory D

For i = 0 To D.SubDirsCount - 1
          SearchRecursivelyOn D.Path & D.SubDirName(i), Filter
      Next
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
      If StillSearching Then MsgBox "I'm still searching": Cancel = 1
    End Sub
    HTH

Olaf

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast