Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UK politics versus USA

PowerPoster

Re: UK politics versus USA

Sadly, I'm getting to the point where I think we might have to start banning certain topics of conversation. I don't like that idea and it goes against my nature but the forum keeps turning toxic lately.
    The trouble is almost any subject can be turned political and then toxic by a few. I had no idea my thread on College Enrollment would be considered a right wing/left wing topic. But I'm not very political to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    That came down from the admins and I think they were right to do it. It was getting flamey.

Sadly, I'm getting to the point where I think we might have to start banning certain topics of conversation. I don't like that idea and it goes against my nature but the forum keeps turning toxic lately.
    There are already a couple topics that are essentially taboo. It's been a VERY long time since anybody discussed religion, for example. That's one of those topics that people don't bring up in polite conversations. There are people who care enough to kill, people who don't care and want everybody to know about it, and every shade in the middle.

Oddly, we've had the same thing over programming languages. I also remember one fairly virulent thread about AMD vs Intel. Seems like people are willing to fight over any topic.

Also, I'm not sure what happened to AMD vs Intel. I remember that as being a lot hotter debate a decade, or so, back. Both are certainly still around, it just doesn't seem to be of much interest to anybody anymore.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    But I'm not very political to begin with.
    Is anything really non-political? Somebody seems to REALLY care about any topic. It just depends on whether or not they find a dance partner.

PowerPoster

Is anything really non-political?
    You don't think people have a point of view on a subject that isn't political? Or is it that everything that exists is created by politics? Or is it that I don't understand what your saying?

Or is that just how you leftist think? lol

Well, I suppose it largely depends on what falls under the term 'political'. The official definition is "Relating to the government or the public affairs of a country", but what doesn't the government have a hand in? We've legislated everything from sex to death to eating habits to food to...well, just about everything.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I guess I'd say a topic is political if it tends to divide along party lines. That's not any kind of official definition but seems like a pretty useful litmus test.

In hindsight, you guys are right. It's not about the topic, it's about the behaviour. I was feeling pretty frustrated when I made that last post so probably came off stronger than I meant to.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

I guess I'd say a topic is political if it tends to divide along party lines. That's not any kind of official definition but seems like a pretty useful litmus test.

In hindsight, you guys are right. It's not about the topic, it's about the behaviour. I was feeling pretty frustrated when I made that last post so probably came off stronger than I meant to.
    Nothing a cup of wont fix I hope. lol

King of sapila

T'sup?
    A joint anti-Russian statement on the conflict in Ukraine, which was released on Wednesday, was supported by only 58 United Nations member states, or less than a third of the organization’s 193 members.

Albania, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Canada, Columbia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, the Netherlands, New Zealand, FYROM, Norway, Palau, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, the United States, and the European Union.

Europe idiots and the US Bozo team....

https://tass.com/world/1497977
    https://www.cnsnews.com/article/inte...gned-statement
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Everybody gets to decide what is best for them. Politics works that way. You rarely see autocrats opposing autocrats who attack neighbors. It's just not wise.

King of sapila

Well, Duh.
    You constantly broke my braloukas trying to justify the good NATO and evil Russia that should be attacked and it seems no one beside NATO allies and some of Europe support that....In theory.Blubber Mouthing.

Everybody gets to decide what is best for them? You mean politics decide what's best for them, not the people. I concur.

King of sapila

So, I just saw some news that had a chef telling about the good Grasshopper snacks and worms.
    My thoughts in a nutshell:
    Euro, US driven, idiots do not really want to raise sanctions on Russia. They do so, so they can pass us new, "cheap" food habits like eating maggots to profit. They are trying to pass laws to reduce meat (redece 50% in Nederlands for example) so we can have a "technical" shortage but they do badly planed...Maybe they can here me to tell them how to do it properly.
    Also, since the gas crisis will escalate in the winter, I predict some form of lock down again.Like, you are not allowed to drive your car after work hours or some business closing early and such.
    And finally I see a lot climate change talk. They proly blame aspects and consequences (like heat in texas that killed cows https://www.newsweek.com/shocking-fo...tiktok-1716433 ) in climate change. Buffalo Bill fart, is preparing anyhow by buying huge land acres along with others.
    So that's about it from what can I make right now.That along with finally sawing that there are more sold out dogs in Europe....Unless we can stop them.

NATO served Europe delivered and everybody bought it, with a few exceptions.
    Last edited by sapator; Aug 31st, 2022 at 04:03 PM.

I'm not sure I understood any of that, except something about eating insects, so I'll share this: The gal that I've been hiking with for the last few years, was planning to start raising crickets for food as a business. I think she would have done better raising them as fish food. I'm not sure that there is enough of a market for insect foods in the US, but there are lots of fish hatcheries out here, and the quality standards for fish food are a whole lot lower than for human food.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm not sure I understood any of that, except something about eating insects, so I'll share this: The gal that I've been hiking with for the last few years, was planning to start raising crickets for food as a business. I think she would have done better raising them as fish food. I'm not sure that there is enough of a market for insect foods in the US, but there are lots of fish hatcheries out here, and the quality standards for fish food are a whole lot lower than for human food.
    I can hear the crickets now "who wants bugs for dinner"?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

So the first link is to a Russian News Agency and the second identifies that "Still, in New York, the image of Ukraine’s U.N. ambassador flanked by more than two dozen colleagues as he read out the joint statement contrasted sharply with that of the Russian ambassador, alone, briefing reporters." I don't think the news you're reading makes the argument you want it to make.

But I spent the day before yesterday at La Tomatina and I can say with absolute certainty that the best way to resolve this conflict is for 30,000 people to have a tomato fight:-Name:  Tomatina.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  48.2 KB
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Which one are you?

Pretty sure there are no pictures of me but one juice covered loon looks much like another so take your pick.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm not sure I understood any of that
    Will come back when it's time and explain.Possibly in 2-3 months.

Oh you will be eating Cricks alright but you want know it.

King of sapila

Pretty sure there are no pictures of me but one juice covered loon looks much like another so take your pick.
    Next the annual Bull run in Spain. Will be searching Rob Dog and Funky then

That other one looks a little "saucy".

PowerPoster

Justin Trudeau approves. And such a profitable sideline for the sewage treatment industry.

You will own nothing, and you will eat crickets.

I wouldn't think crickets would be the goal for the sewage treatment industry. Besides, they're cannibals. The big European insect farms (raised for fish food) are using other kinds of bugs, which makes sense. Mealworms would be excellent, but they had another type...which I don't remember what it was and don't feel like looking it up, either...that was also a good one. Still, it's the right idea: Turn nutrients into protein.

PowerPoster

Maybe this?

Maggots: A taste of food’s future

The black soldier fly’s remarkable ability to transform nearly any kind of organic waste into protein could revolutionize global food supplies

King of sapila

Can I barf now?
    Not a soul (except sold out Cricketeers born out of a trans leftish Cricket wannabe) in Greece is a Cricket eater, bug eater, worm eater or any baft baftaty barf things. OK maybe snails, lamb brains and eyeballs and frog legs but NOT INSECTS! Except maybe immigrants. Good 1st market when it starts.
    Look Ma. A cricket!
    LET"S EAT IT!!! ROOOOARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

A buddy of mine caught and cooked up a few grasshoppers at one point. Not my thing, but I'd certainly try the cricket powder as a protein additive in a smoothie.

PowerPoster

Go down that road and you might have to watch your back for someone wearing an Edgar Suit.

PowerPoster

Funny how many things get labeled "crackpot conspiracy theories" by those who accept mainstream media's over-the-air programming... only to see facts begin to emerge once corporate profits have been locked in.

Here is somebody who will probably have to contend with cancel culture soon. She's already taken hits from the Flat Earthers, Greenies, and the Polygenderists:

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Funny how many things get labeled "crackpot conspiracy theories" by those who accept mainstream media's over-the-air programming... only to see facts begin to emerge once corporate profits have been locked in.

Here is somebody who will probably have to contend with cancel culture soon. She's already taken hits from the Flat Earthers, Greenies, and the Polygenderists:

I'll bet the label is correct way more than it is wrong. It is like a liar that gets mad when he tells the truth and no one believes him. Why should they, he lies all the time.

When someone delivers the line "the next best thing to magic, physics" in the first 30 seconds of their video, I'm disinclined to watch the rest.

PowerPoster

I guess "follow the science" really is double-speak for "ignore real scientists."

What have I told you before about expecting me to do your homework for you? If you've a point to make, state it clearly. Don't expect me to wade through over a quarter hour of video for you. Particularly one where the presenter starts by comparing physics to magic.

A source should be supportive of an argument you are making. It is not a substitute for one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123