Thread: [RESOLVED] Renaming of overloaded functions from .NET

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Renaming of overloaded functions from .NET

I often need to translate some .NET code to VB6 code. Function overloading is allowed in .NET. I'd like to know how to rename these overloaded functions in VB6? E.g:
    Code:
    Function GetProperty(ByVal name As String, ByVal returnType As Type, ByVal types() As Type, ByVal modifiers() As ParameterModifier) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty(ByVal name As String, ByVal returnType As Type, ByVal types() As Type) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty(ByVal name As String, ByVal types() As Type) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty(ByVal name As String, ByVal returnType As Type) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty(ByVal name As String) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty(ByVal name As String, ByVal bindingAttr As BindingFlags) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty(ByVal name As String, ByVal bindingAttr As BindingFlags, ByVal binder As Binder, ByVal returnType As Type, ByVal types() As Type, ByVal modifiers() As ParameterModifier) As PropertyInfo
    Currently, I can only rename the above functions to
    GetProperty,
    GetProperty2,
    GetProperty3,
    GetProperty4,
    GetProperty5,
    GetProperty6,
    GetProperty7.

I wonder if there is a better way to name them. Thanks.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 27th, 2022 at 09:50 AM.

Re: Renaming of overloaded functions from .NET

Code:
    Function GetProperty( _
    ByVal name As String, _
    Optional ByVal returnType As Type, _
    Optional ByVal types() As Type, _
    Optional ByVal modifiers() As ParameterModifier, _
    Optional ByVal bindingAttr As BindingFlags, _
    Optional ByVal binder As Binder) As PropertyInfo
    Function-Overloading is done if the language doesn't support Optional Parameters (as i know from Pascal, no idea in Dot Crap)
    Default-Values for the Optional Parameters can be applied in the Function-header

EDIT:
    I wouldn't be surprised, if in the original source-code for, say,

there is only one line of code, like (in vb6-Syntax!!!)
    Code:
       GetProperty=GetProperty(Name, DefaultBindingFlag, DefaultBinder, DefaultReturnType, DefaultType, DefaultParameterModifier) 'Call to overloaded function, passing "Name" as is
    End Function
    EDIT2:
    Was just reading up on this.
    In .NET Function overloading is used to implement Polymorphism
    https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/c-shar...d-overloading/
    Last edited by Zvoni; Jun 28th, 2022 at 05:47 AM.
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Frenzied Member

Hi Zvoni, thanks for your reply.

If Optional-Parameters is used, the incoming order of VB6 parameters is inconsistent with the incoming order of .NET's original functions.

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Currently, I can only rename the above functions to
    GetProperty,
    GetProperty2,
    GetProperty3,
    GetProperty4,
    GetProperty5,
    GetProperty6,
    GetProperty7.

I wonder if there is a better way to name them. Thanks.
    This is basically what modern compilers do internally to implement overloading so you're already on the right track.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Hi Zvoni, thanks for your reply.

If Optional-Parameters is used, the incoming order of VB6 parameters is inconsistent with the incoming order of .NET's original functions.
    Only if you translate the .NET-Function-Calls "1 to 1", then yes, but also in regards to Niya's answer:

What's easier?
    Deciding which of the 8 Functions to explicitely call (depending on the Parameters, and their order, type, whatever),

or to
    Call GetProperty("SomeName",SomeReturnType,,SomeModifier,,SomeBinder)

Bottom Line: There is no "easy" way to "literally" translate to vb6, independent that some .NET-Compiler is doing this and that behind the scenes

You have to find out from the Source-code if it's doing Polymorphism (as in "really" different Functionality depending which overloaded Function is called) or if it's "emulating" optional Parameters.

My Money is on the Optional Parameters
    Last edited by Zvoni; Jun 28th, 2022 at 07:26 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    This is basically what modern compilers do internally to implement overloading so you're already on the right track.
    Hmm, glad to hear that. It's just that the naming is so ugly.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    Only if you translate the .NET-Function-Calls "1 to 1", then yes, but also in regards to Niya's answer:

What's easier?
    Deciding which of the 8 Functions to explicitely call (depending on the Parameters, and their order, type, whatever),

or to
    Call GetProperty("SomeName",SomeReturnType,,SomeModifier,,SomeBinder)

Bottom Line: There is no "easy" way to "literally" translate to vb6, independent that some .NET-Compiler is doing this and that behind the scenes

You have to find out from the Source-code if it's doing Polymorphism (as in "really" different Functionality depending which overloaded Function is called) or if it's "emulating" optional Parameters.

My Money is on the Optional Parameters
    Yes, many times we can't find the best of both worlds.

Yes, many times we can't find the best of both worlds.
    Would have to disagree in this particular case.
    I repeat: It depends what the underlying source-code is doing.

In your example, all (overloaded) Function-Signatures have in common the Parameter "name".
    Note: There is one "version" only having that one single parameter.
    That's a strong indicator, that the overloads are emulating Optional Parameters, and in vb6 there is a Syntax for Optional Parameters

BUT:
    What you can do with Function overloading is this (i'm using vb6-syntax)
    Code:
    Function DoSomething(ByVal Long1 As Long, ByVal Long2 As Long) As Long
      DoSomething = Long1 + Long2
    End Function

Function DoSomething(ByVal Long1 As Long, ByVal Long2 As Long, ByVal Long3 As Long) As Double
      DoSomething = (Long3 - Long2) / Long1   'Yes, yes, check if Long1 = 0 blablablabla
    End Function
    That would be (in a way) Polymorphism, because dependent on the Parameters, you have different functionality
    And honestly? In this case i would have different (especially descriptive!!) Function-Names, too, completely avoiding the confusion, overloading is introducing to this scenario
    Because in vb6 the Alternative would be
    Code:
    Function DoSomething(ByVal Long1 As Long, ByVal Long2 As Long, Optional ByVal Long3 As Long) As Variant
       If IsMissing(Long3) Then DoSomething = CLng(Long1 + Long2) Else DoSomething = CDbl((Long3 - Long2) / Long1)
    End Function
    Last edited by Zvoni; Jun 28th, 2022 at 08:17 AM.

Hmm, glad to hear that. It's just that the naming is so ugly.
    This is normal for compilers. You should take a look at how C++ compilers mangles class method names, now that is ugly. What's important is that the user writing the code doesn't see these things.

Also, I see that optional parameters were mentioned in this thread. Don't yield to the temptation to use optional parameters as a way to mimic overloading. There certain overload scenarios that optional parameters cannot mimic. Eg:-
    Code:
    Sub DoSomething(p As String) 

Sub DoSomething(p As Integer)
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

This is normal for compilers. You should take a look at how C++ compilers mangles class method names, now that is ugly. What's important is that the user writing the code doesn't see these things.

Also, I see that optional parameters were mentioned in this thread. Don't yield to the temptation to use optional parameters as a way to mimic overloading. There certain overload scenarios that optional parameters cannot mimic. Eg:-
    Code:
    Sub DoSomething(p As String) 

Sub DoSomething(p As Integer)
    Exactly what i was talking about (Polymorphism).
    In this example the vb6-analogy would be
    Code:
    Sub DoSomething(p As Variant)
       If TypeOf(p)=vbString
           DoThis
       ElseIf TypeOf(p)=vbInteger Then
           DoSomethingElse
       End If
    End Sub
    IMO, that's the worst case scenario.
    It feels to me, like
    If the Parameter is a car, hitting "accelerate" would increase speed, while if the Parameter is a Bike, "accelerate" would cause a full brake including drifting around a corner....

EDIT:
    And to put some "spice" into the Mix:
    Let's introduce "generics"
    Code:
    Generic Sub DoSomething<T>(p As T)

End Sub
    Last edited by Zvoni; Jun 28th, 2022 at 08:44 AM.

Exactly what i was talking about (Polymorphism).
    In this example the vb6-analogy would be
    Code:
    Sub DoSomething(p As Variant)
       If TypeOf(p)=vbString
           DoThis
       ElseIf TypeOf(p)=vbInteger Then
           DoSomethingElse
       End If
    End Sub
    This would absolutely murder the performance of the translated code. It's better to go with DoSomething1, DoSomething2 etc as he originally intended. It is the best way to convert overloaded methods. Remember he is writing a transpiler, the conversion would be automated. The correct overload to call would be resolved by the transpiler itself at compile time.

This would absolutely murder the performance of the translated code. It's better to go with DoSomething1, DoSomething2 etc as he originally intended. It is the best way to convert overloaded methods. Remember he is writing a transpiler, the conversion would be automated. The correct overload to call would be resolved by the transpiler itself at compile time.
    Yeah, i know, but i still say: it depends, what the original code (the code to be transpiled) is actually doing, because if it's really just emulating Optional Parameters, it would create redundant code

EDIT: .... or not
    Just thought about it in terms of my own example above
    Code:
    Function DoSomething(ByVal name As String) As SomeType
       DoSomething=DoSomething6(Name, blablablabl)
    End Function

Function DoSomething6(ByVal name As String, ByVal SomeOtherParameters As Something) As SomeType

End Function
    He would actually avoid "Select/Case-ing" / "If/ElseIf-ing" all the optional Parameters
    Last edited by Zvoni; Jun 28th, 2022 at 09:18 AM.

Frenzied Member

Maybe I can do this:
    Code:
    '--- Main Function ---

Function GetProperty(ByVal name As String, ParamArray args() As Variant)

'--- Aux Functions (Overloading Functions) ---

Function GetProperty__1(ByVal name As String, ByVal returnType As Type, ByVal types() As Type, ByVal modifiers() As ParameterModifier) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty__2(ByVal name As String, ByVal returnType As Type, ByVal types() As Type) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty__3(ByVal name As String, ByVal types() As Type) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty__4(ByVal name As String, ByVal returnType As Type) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty__5(ByVal name As String) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty__6(ByVal name As String, ByVal bindingAttr As BindingFlags) As PropertyInfo

Function GetProperty__7(ByVal name As String, ByVal bindingAttr As BindingFlags, ByVal binder As Binder, ByVal returnType As Type, ByVal types() As Type, ByVal modifiers() As ParameterModifier) As PropertyInfo
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 29th, 2022 at 09:11 AM.

Yeah, I thought along the same lines ... the "fun" part will be determining which secondary method/function to call based on what's in args ... I didn't put much thought into it beyond that though. Although, looking at it... you can figure out 4 of them based on the number of parameters alone... after that, there's three that each take three params... would need to look at the types at that point.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Yeah, I thought along the same lines ... the "fun" part will be determining which secondary method/function to call based on what's in args ... I didn't put much thought into it beyond that though. Although, looking at it... you can figure out 4 of them based on the number of parameters alone... after that, there's three that each take three params... would need to look at the types at that point.

-tg
    Don't forget the Order of the ParamTypes.
    Count and Types can be the same for two Overloads, just Order is different

If first String And second Long and third Double Then NukeMoscow
    ElseIf First String And Second Double And third Long Then FeedDog

Frenzied Member

-tg
    Don't forget the Order of the ParamTypes.
    Count and Types can be the same for two Overloads, just Order is different

If first String And second Long and third Double Then NukeMoscow
    ElseIf First String And Second Double And third Long Then FeedDog
    Maybe I can automatically generate the code for the main function GetProperty based on the function definitions of the aux functions GetProperty1...GetProperty7.

Re: [RESOLVED] Renaming of overloaded functions from .NET

Typically compilers resolve which function to call by their signature. A function signature consists of the order and type of each parameter. The signature is combined with the name of the function to create a unique name. This is called name mangling and this is how compilers like the C++ compiler resolves overloading.

Let's do an example:-
    Code:
            public int Foo(int a, int b) => a+b;
            public int Foo(int a, int b, int c) =>a+b+c;
            public float Foo(float a, float b) => a+b;
            public void Foo(string a) => Debug.WriteLine(a);
            public void Foo(TextBox a) => Debug.WriteLine(a.Text);
    The above are different overloads of the function Foo. Now based on what I know about C++ name mangling if I were doing this, I'd start by building a table that matches a type to a number. Let's build a table from based all the types used in the above set of functions:-
    Code:
    int - 10
    float - 11
    string - 12
    TextBox - 23
    Each type is assigned a unique number and this number will be used to build the function signature. This signature will then be combined with the function name to produce a mangled name. In the case of your transpiler, this is what could come out:-
    Code:
    Public Function Foo_10_10(ByVal a As Long, ByVal b As Long) As Long
         Foo_10_10 = a + b
    End Function

Public Function Foo_10_10_10(ByVal a As Long, ByVal b As Long, ByVal c As Long) As Long
        Foo_10_10_10 = a + b + c
    End Function

Public Function Foo_11_11(ByVal a As Single, ByVal b As Single) As Single
        Foo_11_11 = a + b
    End Function

Public Sub Foo_12(ByVal a As String)
        Debug.Print a
    End Sub

Public Sub Foo_23(ByVal a As TextBox)
        Debug.Print a.Text
    End Sub
    So it now becomes easy to resolve which overload to call. The mangled name is created by suffixing it with type numbers of each parameter in the order in which they were defined. Let's say you had this call:-
    Code:
    var x = Foo(12.0f, 7.0f);
    You use the name of the function at the callsite and the arguments to create the mangled name. Foo is called with a float as the first argument and a float as the second argument. In the table we built, a float is assigned the number 11 so combining that with the function name we get the mangled name Foo_11_11. That is name of the function the transpiler will embed at the callsite. The overload has been correctly resolved.

If your transpiler ever creates two identical mangled names for different functions, it should halt with an error. No two overloads can have identical signatures.

Frenzied Member

Nice solution.

In fact, my transpiler renames these overloaded functions internally, for example:
    Code:
    GetProperty___Name_ReturnType_Types_Modifiers
    GetProperty___Name_ReturnType_Types
    GetProperty___Name_Types
    GetProperty___Name_ReturnType
    GetProperty___Name
    GetProperty___Name_BindingAttr
    GetProperty___Name_BindingAttr_Binder_ReturnType_Types_Modifiers
    But I decided to take your suggestion to do "signature recognition" of overloaded functions by their parameter types, thank you, Niya.

Nice solution.

In fact, my transpiler renames these overloaded functions internally, for example:
    Code:
    GetProperty___Name_ReturnType_Types_Modifiers
    GetProperty___Name_ReturnType_Types
    GetProperty___Name_Types
    GetProperty___Name_ReturnType
    GetProperty___Name
    GetProperty___Name_BindingAttr
    GetProperty___Name_BindingAttr_Binder_ReturnType_Types_Modifiers
    But I decided to take your suggestion to do "signature recognition" of overloaded functions by their parameter types, thank you, Niya.
    That would be the correct way.
    AFAIK, when determining WHICH overload to call the Return Type (if even existent --> Sub instead of Func) is ignored!
    (But it might differ from language to language)

While there is, strictly speaking, nothing wrong with involving return types in the process of resolving overloads, it should be noted that generally speaking, overloaded functions must differ by at least the number of parameters or the order of the types of the parameters. They cannot differ only by return type. For example, C# cannot resolve this:-
    Code:
            public float Foo(int a, int b) => a+b;
    The above would not compile because they differ only by their return types. So if one is to include the return type of a method as part of the signature, it might also be a good idea to check for this. Though it would be interesting to see a language that could resolve such overloads, I can't say for sure if that is actually a good idea.

Niya,
    i don‘t know C#, but in vb6 we always had the possibility to call a function as if it‘s a sub (and thusly ignoring the return type).
    I‘d hazard a guess that‘s the reason, because a compiler wouldn‘t know which of those two functions to call, since both would have the same signature as a sub

PowerPoster

While there is, strictly speaking, nothing wrong with involving return types in the process of resolving overloads, it should be noted that generally speaking, overloaded functions must differ by at least the number of parameters or the order of the types of the parameters. They cannot differ only by return type. For example, C# cannot resolve this:-
    Code:
            public float Foo(int a, int b) => a+b;
    The above would not compile because they differ only by their return types. So if one is to include the return type of a method as part of the signature, it might also be a good idea to check for this. Though it would be interesting to see a language that could resolve such overloads, I can't say for sure if that is actually a good idea.
    Indeed, but imagine a scenario where those two functions exist solely, and imagine that those two functions do vastly different things. If this happens:

Code:
    double d = Foo(1, 2)
    then which one should be called? Both an int and a float can be "upgraded" to a double. Do you work "downstream" through the hierarchy of return variable types to see which is "closest" and call that one? It gets muddy fast. But it makes for interesting pondering.

Niya,
    i don‘t know C#, but in vb6 we always had the possibility to call a function as if it‘s a sub (and thusly ignoring the return type).
    I‘d hazard a guess that‘s the reason, because a compiler wouldn‘t know which of those two functions to call, since both would have the same signature as a sub
    You mean the reason overloads can't be differentiated by their return types alone? If that is what you mean, the reason is actually for situations like this:-
    Code:
    object x = Foo(12.0f, 7.0f);
    In the above code the return value of Foo is being assigned to variable x of type object. Situations like this are exactly why languages like C# require overloaded functions to differ by more than their return type. object can store anything, like a Variant in VB6. If overloading allowed functions to differ only by return type then the compiler would have to guess which type you intended to return for such functions. In other words, to support this kind of overloading, your language cannot not have types like Variant, Object etc that could hold any type. The compiler could then use the type of the variable or parameter that will receive the function's return value to resolve which overload to call because it will never be ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Indeed, but imagine a scenario where those two functions exist solely, and imagine that those two functions do vastly different things. If this happens:

Code:
    double d = Foo(1, 2)
    then which one should be called? Both an int and a float can be "upgraded" to a double. Do you work "downstream" through the hierarchy of return variable types to see which is "closest" and call that one? It gets muddy fast. But it makes for interesting pondering.
    Neither would be called ... it wouldn't compile... regardless of what the output is, it's the parameters that matter which get called.
    If the definitions were as such:
    Code:
        public float Foo(float a, float b) => a+b;
    and you called it like this:
    double d = Foo(1, 2)

Then the second one with the ints would be called. The parameters are integers, so that's the signature that matches, that's the one that gets called.

If you want the first to be called, then you need ot pass it floats.
    double d = Foo(1.00, 2.00)

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Neither would be called ... it wouldn't compile... regardless of what the output is, it's the parameters that matter which get called.
    If you read the post I was replying to, you would see that Niya posted a "what if a language allowed overloading simply by return type", and my post was in response to that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post

Code:
    double d = Foo(1, 2)
    This is also a very good point. I didn't even think of this one. So it seems it's problematic even without involving types like object.

PowerPoster

You mean the reason overloads can't be differentiated by their return types alone? If that is what you mean, the reason is actually for situations like this:-
    Code:
    object x = Foo(12.0f, 7.0f);
    "A float's a float...but an object could be anything...it could even be a float!"

We might be all right, and we might be all wrong.
    My point is, that you can overload subs, too, which don't have a return type, and that you can call functions as if they were a sub.

Bottom line from me: Compiling/evaluating/determining which overoaded function to call, the return type is completely ignored.
    It doesn't even rate a "check"

Code:
    Public Function Foo(ByVal Long1 As Long, ByVal Long2 As Long) As Long
      Foo = Long1 + Long2
    End Function

Public Sub Foo(ByVal Long1 As Long, ByVal Long2 As Long)
       WriteToFile Long1, Long2
    End Sub

'Somewhere Else
    Public Sub Main()
       Call Foo(10,42)  'Which of the above is called?
    End Sub

My point is, that you can overload subs, too, which don't have a return type, and that you can call functions as if they were a sub.
    Yea, I get what you're trying to say. I sometimes forget that the BASIC language enforces a lot of bad habits and thought patterns. BASIC encourages programmers to think that there is some big difference between subs and functions when it fact they are actually the same thing. A sub is just a function where the return value is discarded. By convention most functions throw their return value in the EAX register. All you need to turn a typical function into a sub in the VB6 sense is to not do anything with whatever is in the EAX register after the function is called.

For example lets take this assembly:-
    Code:
    push ebp
    mov ebp, esp

mov eax, [ebp + 8]
    add eax, [ebp + 12]

mov esp, ebp
    pop ebp
    ret 8
    The above could be "shelled" in a VB6 like this:-
    Code:
    Public Function Add(ByVal a As Long, ByVal b As Long) As Long
    or like this:-
    Code:
    Public Sub Add(ByVal a As Long, ByVal b As Long)
    Both are 100% valid because the truth is that there is no real difference between a sub and a function. All Sub does it tell the compiler you don't want to do anything with the return value which in this case resides in the EAX register. When you consider it this way, it becomes very clear why you cannot differentiate an overloaded function only by it's return type. It's because the return type of a function does not in any way change the fundamental behavior of the function.

All of this is to say that whenever you're thinking about compilers, transpilers, assemblers etc, as programmers that are practiced in BASIC, it really helps free ourselves of thinking in terms of subs and functions being distinctive because they are not really distinct.