Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspend the gas tax???

PowerPoster

Re: Suspend the gas tax???

It pretty much says what Dil said, without the 'get off my lawn' bit.
    That's funny.

Just to finish off my original thought when I created this thread. It doesn't seem anyone here thinks the government can really do much to affect the gas prices. If that's so, I'm surprised we haven't had $2 price jump before now.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Just to finish off my original thought when I created this thread. It doesn't seem anyone here thinks the government can really do much to affect the gas prices. If that's so, I'm surprised we haven't had $2 price jump before now.
    While they can't control all of the factors I don't think policy can be ignored. Reversing policy might make a dent but it also might take almost as long as it took to get here by promising unicorns and badgering the energy industry to shift gears.

Throwing the outboard motor overboard, drilling holes in the hull, and then telling everyone to raise silk handkerchief sails turns out not to have been very smart.

Gasoline prices did jump by a large fraction during the 1970s. However this time around the rise has been much quicker.

Have Iran attack Saudi Arabia. A $2 price jump would be mild.

If it is primarily driven by the market, and secondarily by refineries, then a $2 jump would be rare. Refinery changes tend to be a longer, slower, wave moving through the cost, while the market is short, spiky, but tends to be moderate. After all, it would be the average of opinions. Normally, that average...is only mild. To have a big shift, it would require a bunch of people to all get freaked out at the same time. I think the Russian attack on Ukraine was that. It also may have coincided with a medium term wave from refineries (one going offline for a time would be a medium term wave), and a long term wave from refineries (less money being invested in new capacity due to an expectation of less use of gas). The longer wavelength shifts would cause the short spiky change to be spikier. For that reason, I kind of expect gas to come back down, somewhat, but maybe not all the way. That would be fine with me.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

It doesn't directly impact me. I don't drive as much as I used to.

Even the rare long trip isn't much of an issue. I drove a hybrid for a decade and a half and learned to hypermile, mainly by avoiding speeding and aggressive driving. I manage 40 MPG around town without trying hard, a bit better on highway stretches. The hybrid did 20 to 25% better and if the right model comes along in a few years I might upgrade but I usually hold cars a long time to extract as much value from them as I can.

About half of the fuel in my tank right now was probably purchased in March, the rest in early May. My range per tank is close to 500 miles.

PowerPoster

Have Iran attack Saudi Arabia. A $2 price jump would be mild.
    We don't import that much Saudi oil. Now if Iran attacked Canada we're in trouble. lol

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...es%20in%202021.

PowerPoster

Canada? Not really.

Market Snapshot: Crude oil imports declined in 2021, while refined petroleum product imports rose modestly

Where does our imported oil come from?

The United States (U.S.) continues to be the largest source of Canada’s imported crude oil. In 2021, 66% of Canada’s oil imports came from the U.S., compared to 75% in 2020. 2021 marked the first drop in the proportion of Canada’s imported oil from the U.S., relative to the rest of the world, since 2016. This drop was due to a variety of market factors, including pipelines flowing more domestic crude oil into Ontario/QuebecFootnote2 and the Come-by-Chance Refinery in Newfoundland remaining idle.
    Canadian tar has limited uses and most refineries can't make use of it directly.

PowerPoster

Just to clear up a mistake I made, the series "The Prize" is on Amazon not Netflix. I finished it tonight, it only went to @ 2000 so it doesn't talk about current issues. Though some will be the same.

PowerPoster

This one?

PowerPoster

Reminds me of those 3 movies about L.A. corruption: Water ("Chinatown"), Oil ("The Two Jakes"), Mass Transit ("Who Framed Roger Rabbit").

The third one isn't a joke.

PowerPoster

Mad green policies?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12