Thread: Why is my application infected according to VirusTotal site?

Fanatic Member

Why is my application infected according to VirusTotal site?

Hello vbForums community

i submitted my application to VirusTotal scan.
    This is the result.
    I should not that I'm not using any third party component.
    Name:  18-06-2022 16-41-40.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  15.0 KB

Frenzied Member

Re: Why is my application infected according to VirusTotal site?

nothing we can do about that.
    its the fault of the antivirus search database/algorithm.
    all my programs gets false-positive.

Fanatic Member

Itís hard to get a clean bill of health with almost 70av vendors as long as itís not the major ones I ignore it. Itís bad signatures hello world can come back with detections especially with vb6.

Frenzied Member

VirusTotal submits to various a/v scanners so that you don't have to. You then have to use your noggin when the results arrive. If the majority do not raise a positive then you can assume:

A. The one engine that raises the positive is correct as it is a better check than all the others
    B. The one engine that raises the positive is falsely doing so based upon a faulty algorithm or information.

When you use VirusTotal there is a brain analysis component and you have to use yours to make that final assessment. IF you test your program against your own a/v tool on your PC it may tell you it is safe or it may not. If you wrote it then YOU are the best person to tell.

In case of B. you may choose to raise it as a False Positive, you are in effect training that a/v tool to be more correct. Sometimes it is required.
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

Something about your program is causing its score to pass the threashold.

Because VB6 is now so often used to deliver malware packages written in other languages, just being recognized as compiled by VB6 means it gets assigned a fairly high "possible malware" score before anything else is even looked at.

Does the program have a proper embedded manifest? Not having one increases your score.

Does the program do anything weird, like "drop" other compiled code from resources? It doesn't matter whether they are 3rd party libraries or Microsoft libraries: just dropping code adds a lot to your score.

Does the program use the FSO or other things from the Microsoft Scripting Runtime? That bumps your score. WMI? That bumps your score.

The point is that lots of things get examined and scored if found or not found.

Of course another factor is "reputation" and that is something most small volume programs can never do anything about. It gets worse if you produce several different versions of your program over time because reputation is assigned via a hash of the compiled program. Keep changing it and there is no way the reputation can mount to a helpful level.

PowerPoster

AV tests find that reputation really does count

Trend Micro's reputation system works because it blocks specific URLs. But reputation systems can use a variety of factors to determine whether to block a program. Nachenberg's Symantec Reputation Based Security system, used by the just-released Norton Internet Security 2010, uses complex algorithms to figure out a program's reputation. (This version wasn't available when NSS conducted its tests.)

In essence, it's a lot like the film-rating system of NetFlix, making a prediction based on a number of factors. How long has the program been around? Where did it come from? How many people use it? "All these pieces of information can be correlated together and used to drive a reputation rating for every piece of software," Nachenberg said.

Fanatic Member

thank you all
    now I felt some quietude

Fanatic Member

Does the program have a proper embedded manifest? Not having one increases your score.

Does the program do anything weird, like "drop" other compiled code from resources? It doesn't matter whether they are 3rd party libraries or Microsoft libraries: just dropping code adds a lot to your score.

Does the program use the FSO or other things from the Microsoft Scripting Runtime? That bumps your score. WMI? That bumps your score.
    the answer is yes

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
    the answer is yes
    So does that mean that it is yes to all three / four questions?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I think it must be for the second: Does the program do anything weird? (Yes!)

Frenzied Member

with 2-4 result I assume its the "normal" false-positive.
    if u embed any executable or using API that can be used for hacking we would see 15+ warnings.
    remember its 65-70 different AV that are used.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    sorry I didin't pay attention
    yes for embedded manifest and Microsoft Scripting Runtime

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    with 2-4 result I assume its the "normal" false-positive.
    if u embed any executable or using API that can be used for hacking we would see 15+ warnings.
    remember its 65-70 different AV that are used.
    Agree, 0-4 is normal.