Thread: Need EXIF Info Concerning Samsung Galaxy (Android) Photos

Question Need EXIF Info Concerning Samsung Galaxy (Android) Photos

Greets Everyone,

I am writing an inventory Windows Forms app in VB.Net and I ran into a brick wall when trying to access EXIF data on images taken with my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus. I have geotagging enabled, and can see it when looking at photo info on my phone, but when trying to get that EXIF data programmatically when they are saved on my Windows 11 machine, I cannot find that GPS data, or many other properties.

I want to include that EXIF data in the database I am using, when adding the image file locations in the database.

When I check the EXIF info of the images in IRFAN VIEW, or with Windows Explorer (properties/details), the info I can see on my phone is not available or visible.

I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to what protocol the geotag GPS data uses, where it is located in the file, and any other related info I can use to programmatically access that info and parse it.

Thank you so much in advance for your valuable time!

Re: Need EXIF Info Concerning Samsung Galaxy (Android) Photos

How are you transferring the photos from the phone to your computer? It sounds like something may be stripping the EXIF data as a security measure.

VB.NET MVP 2008 - Present

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    How are you transferring the photos from the phone to your computer? It sounds like something may be stripping the EXIF data as a security measure.
    Thank you! This is the one thing I did not think of, and I was a little mad at myself for not putting it together. Considering my Google search returned about 95% of people looking for how to strip that data before posting their images anywhere, I should have been able to realize that Google (or Samsung) would hand-hold these needs by stripping it for me. Because of what you asked, I searched on alternative ways to move those images to my home server and that did the trick. Actually plugging in via a USB3 cable and copy and paste was enough to give me what I needed in my images. THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction!

Sorry I did not reply sooner, I had a lot of real-life stuff happen the last couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    Thank you! That IS very helpful!! Now that I know my images have that data if copied to my server properly, the next stage was coding to get that info. I found a lot of that information while I was searching for my original question and saved everything I found that is related. The code you pointed to looks to expose a lot of info and how to pull it. I appreciate it, thanks!

>deleted<
    Last edited by HopWorksEI; Jun 19th, 2022 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Deleted - Previous post showed up

Thanks for the updates.