Thread: [RESOLVED] Server isn't responding

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Resolved [RESOLVED] Server isn't responding

In Excel 2010 I have a procedure where the user enters the name of the workbook (e.g. MyWorkbook.xlsx) in a string variable named strLink and I append the workbook name to a hard-coded web location. I then open the workbook using Set wb = Workbooks.Open(strLink). That works fine but if I try to do it again I get a message that says "Sorry we can't open [full path and name of the workbook] because the server isn't responding". In that message there's a "Try Again" button and if I click it the workbook downloads. How can I close or refresh the server after a download so that the the server opens again without the message? If it matters I use Safari.

Re: Server isn't responding

Is this on a Mac?

What happens if you open the workbook, then immediately close it AND close Excel, then re-open Excel and try the same workbook again? Does it open OK?

It is on a Mac but on that Mac I have a Windows 10 Virtual Machine in which I use Excel.

There is no problem the first time I download a workbook from the server but if I do it a second time in the same Excel session I get the server isn't responding message. Currently I can resolve the problem by clicking the "Try Again" button, and while that's a trivial thing to do, I'm looking for a way to not get the message at all, perhaps by somehow closing the server.

I found the problem. I download the workbook into a workbook object and I wasn't closing that object. After I added code to close it when I was done with it, the server for some reason I don't understand had no problem responding.

Re: [RESOLVED] Server isn't responding

Office applications and others (Adobe Reader, etc.) often like to keep connections open in case you want to re-load a document fast. I have seen this issue on numerous occasions.