Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stop whining - just get numb

Re: Stop whining - just get numb

That's the issue I have with repairs. Older devices tended to be easier, but at this point, repairs can mean, "swap out on circuit board for another." At that point, how much are you really saving? The last few computers I have built, there wasn't anything in particular I could have scavenged from an existing system. I think I took a system my father had and used...the case. I might have kept the power supply, as well. I think I did, I just can't remember. Everything else was new because I got a new motherboard with a much better CPU, which required a new cooling system and faster RAM. I kept the graphics card for a little while, but then had to upgrade that, as well.

At some point, you start asking: How is that the same broom?

Of course, this gets into another theme that I've brought up over the years: If you go back about 150 years (and maybe only 100), a competent smith could create every device known to man. Sure, some things, such as a locomotive, would have taken a single smith a very long time, and would have required some mechanical assistance, but they would be technically capable of the work. That hasn't been true for decades, though, and is getting less true every year. I am typing this on a device that no human COULD make. There are components in this device that human hands are simply incapable of creating. The components are created by machines, which consist of parts that could only be made my other machines, which themselves consist of parts that could only be made by still more machines, and so on.

Technologically, we are kind of like Wiley Coyote S.G., we've run out off the edge of the cliff. As long as we keep running, we'll be okay, but if we stop, we'll never recover.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That's the issue I have with repairs. Older devices tended to be easier, but at this point, repairs can mean, "swap out on circuit board for another." At that point, how much are you really saving? The last few computers I have built, there wasn't anything in particular I could have scavenged from an existing system. I think I took a system my father had and used...the case. I might have kept the power supply, as well. I think I did, I just can't remember. Everything else was new because I got a new motherboard with a much better CPU, which required a new cooling system and faster RAM. I kept the graphics card for a little while, but then had to upgrade that, as well.

At some point, you start asking: How is that the same broom?
    It becomes the ship of Theseus...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

It's a damn Frankenstein PC is what it is. Your trying to play God you fool!!!!

PowerPoster

Yeah, while there are still a lot of simpler things that we can repair, at least up to a point, there are others that require too many special tools, skills, or components to make it practical.

Even when the parts can be obtained the special tools and skills may force you to farm it out. That often prices the repair well above replacement cost.

At least that's the excuse my neighbor uses to justify replacing and dumping 3 riding mowers in the time I've had my one battery push mower. Funny though, each one was larger than the last. They have a larger lawn, maybe double mine, but that's not saying much. There are also 3 people living there while there is just 1 of me here.

So gasoline swilling, noisy, fume belching Cadillacs next door offset most of what I can do pushing my little battery mower around manually myself and keeping it working for a long time. Don't get me started on the monster trucks they insist on replacing every 2 to 3 years and let sit idling sending out fumes and high volume subsonic disruption enough to vibrate plates in the cupboard over here.

PowerPoster

I remember as a kid my dad repairing the TV. You could go to a hardware store and use their tube tester. There use to be TV repairman, not sure there are any left.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "those were the good ole days" people. I like all my modern conveniences, those old TV's suck compared to todays.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I remember as a kid my dad repairing the TV. You could go to a hardware store and use their tube tester. There use to be TV repairman, not sure there are any left.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "those were the good ole days" people. I like all my modern conveniences, those old TV's suck compared to todays.
    That reminded me of how you used to wait for the TV to "warm up".
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    That reminded me of how you used to wait for the TV to "warm up".
    Yeah and the radio. Now a days, it's me that takes a long time warm up. lol

King of sapila

Fools.
    I bet Marshall tubes is not in your vocabulary!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Fools.
    I bet Marshall tubes is not in your vocabulary!
    I'm sure everyone here knows about Marshall tubes. I remember my dad changing one out in one of his Marshalls in the late 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    So gasoline swilling, noisy, fume belching Cadillacs next door offset most of what I can do pushing my little battery mower around manually myself and keeping it working for a long time. Don't get me started on the monster trucks they insist on replacing every 2 to 3 years and let sit idling sending out fumes and high volume subsonic disruption enough to vibrate plates in the cupboard over here.
    Back when I was looking for a house, I saw a listing for a house of pretty large size on four acres...for a CRAZY low price. You just know that there's a reason for that. I thought it might have been location, as it was in a strange jurisdiction. In Idaho, you can be in a city, or not, which is not the case in other parts of the US. This house was not in any organized town, so it's possible that would mean something like: If your house caught fire, the fire department would show up, but just to get people out and make sure the fire didn't spread to the surrounding land. I thought that might be the reason for the crazy low price, so I decided to swing by and take a look.

I didn't need to get very close. Somebody had been using the land around the house (though not the four acres of pasture) as a mud track for either ATVs or something larger. It's not just that there was no vegetation growing, there were deep, well-defined, tracks running around the house, though they clearly didn't always stick to the same tracks.

I realized that I have too many teeth to live in a place like that.

Starting today in Ohio if you are twenty-one or older and can legally own a handgun you can carry it concealed. No training requirements or study requirements whatsoever. You don't even need a copy of the 2nd amendment.

That would be Constitutional Carry ...
    As someone planning to move to Ohio in a year or two, this is good to know.

Not that I plan to walk about town with my rifle slung over my shoulder...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I have always heard that the pen is mightier than the sword. Therefore, I never go out without epistle. I figure that I'm following the letter of the law, that way.

And for those who are keeping track, yes, I played around with the same word in two different threads, but there were good, and distinct, uses for the word in two different active threads. That's on you, not me.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Starting today in Ohio if you are twenty-one or older and can legally own a handgun you can carry it concealed. No training requirements or study requirements whatsoever. You don't even need a copy of the 2nd amendment.
    I had to come back to this post, it's been 30 minutes since read it and I'm still shaking my head in disappointment. I have no idea how people could think that's a good idea. Is it fear, insecurity, a sense of inadequacy. I don't know what it is but it seems to be getting worse.

PowerPoster

I'm not anti-gun in the broadest sense and I have never owned a firearm, but I cringe when I see a cop's sidearm and double-cringe when I see some rube carrying. Not for the gun so much as not trusting the composure and stability of a person carrying a weapon.

PowerPoster

I'm not anti-gun in the broadest sense and I have never owned a firearm, but I cringe when I see a cop's sidearm and double-cringe when I see some rube carrying. Not for the gun so much as not trusting the composure and stability of a person carrying a weapon.
    I was certainly raised with guns. I had my first rifle at 9yrs old. But I have definitely drifted away from that mindset. My aunt lost a child when his sister shot him. They were just young kids, he was picking on his sister and she got the gun and shot him. More often the gun people buy for protection ends up harming someone in the house.

I agree, "Not for the gun so much as not trusting the composure and stability of a person carrying a weapon." The fact that law was passed makes me question peoples judgements in general.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I agree, "Not for the gun so much as not trusting the composure and stability of a person carrying a weapon." The fact that law was passed makes me question peoples judgements in general.
    when SC voted in Open Carry, they stopped just short of Constitutional Carry (this is how I came to find out there's a difference) ... you can cary only with a Conceal Carry License - bottom line, you have to get licensed to carry in public. They thought about CC, but they didn't want just any or every nut out there carrying ...

-tg

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    when SC voted in Open Carry, they stopped just short of Constitutional Carry (this is how I came to find out there's a difference) ... you can cary only with a Conceal Carry License - bottom line, you have to get licensed to carry in public. They thought about CC, but they didn't want just any or every nut out there carrying ...

-tg
    My first thought when I saw Ty's post was, "what a nightmare for the police". I haven't done any research but the more people carrying a concealed weapon (actually concealed or not) the more nervous that would make the police. I don't know what the percentage of people who carry a gun is in these types of states but it does make it a lot easier for the criminals. also makes it a lot easier to turn into a criminal in moment of anger.

But as long as everyone uses good judgement it should be fine. lol

PowerPoster

The 2023 Honda Civic Finally Debuts In Europe as a Hybrid-Only Hatchback

As Honda maps out its plans toward an all-electric future, the new Civic e:HEV hatchback marks the completion of an electrified lineup in Europe. Although Honda says this Civic hybrid won't come stateside, it has not given an official statement about whether a hybrid powertrain based on this will be coming to Civic models in America, where the Civic e:HEV could replace the Insight compact sedan.
    As far as I can tell, the Insight is indeed going away after June 2022 and eventually the plan is to sell a Honda Civic Hybrid in the Americas once more. Whether they'll go 100% hybrid with the Civic nameplate in the Americas as well as in Europe, or how different the eventual US Civic Hybrid might be remains an open question.

I suspect they will use first year experience to tweak the cars for both markets for the 2024 model year.

I'm beginning to wonder if the slanted set of carrots and sticks in the US might not make some changes appropriate. I can almost imagine a "mild plug-in" hybrid: somewhat larger battery pack and maybe just 120 volt 15 amp charging. It could still burn fuel for longer trips but perhaps also be more of a step in the direction of electrification by supporting EV-mode operation with a usable range of maybe 60 miles.

That level of charging approaches the capacity of a square meter of solar panel in full sunlight too. I can imagine somebody with a south-facing garage wall installing maybe 2 meters of panels on that wall.

PowerPoster

Here's a video from a YouTube channel I think of as "The Misadventures of Bo and Zo" where two young east coast elites fumble with EVs.

Generally they gush non-stop, but their "oops, here are our practical experiences" videos tend to be the most entertaining. This one takes a dig at Rivian, though of course the real source of pain is the reality of using an EV of any kind. One can only wonder about the long term health impacts of the stressful lives of EV early adopters.

This isn't all negative, and it doesn't condemn EVs or even Rivian. But much of it is as hilarious as it is educational.

Yes, they are Elon fanboys.

I'm going plug-in hybrid. There are too many places in this state where electricity doesn't reach. Too many places I go, and some of them are many miles out there. Back when I had a Honda Civic that got 40 mpg, but had about an 8 gallon tank, I had to do some serious planning to get out and back. It was possible, because you could GET gas in some remote places, though you would pay through the nose for it. That's not really an option for electric.

Electric makes for a good commuting vehicle. Don't need much range for that, either, but for longer trips, it's just not there, yet.

PowerPoster

I had a 2003 Civic Hybrid CVT with 46 city/51 highway MPG (nominal, EPA) and 13.2 gallon gasoline tank that I bought in 2002. For years I was making a trip about 550 miles each way and seldom had range anxiety after the first run I made.

Of course it was easy to fill up before reaching the hinterlands, and I could top up again close to the other endpoint. But just a 2 gallon can in the trunk would have been a useful reserve.

I'm a little surprised that even with improvements in battery technologies, traction motors, drive trains, tires, and aerodynamics the efficiency and range haven't increased by a lot in 20 years.

One reservation I have about a full PHEV is that the concept strays almost as far into net negatives as a full EV. The entire vehicle becomes borderline experimental technology, a larger battery pack means a larger requirement for consumable materials with a negative story outweighing burning petroleum, range is cramped, and price and payback time are dubiously high.

Of course if you can cash in on the kickback subsidies and gasoline prices are maintained at recent levels and it remains legal to charge at electricity rates held artificially low for other domestic and commercial uses... some of the numbers can improve a lot.

I'm not sure this is sustainable though. Grid rot has already become a problem and somebody has begun picking winners and losers:

While the elite effete are the only ones plugging cars in for charging, as numbers increase somebody needs to start paying to improve generation and transmission.

Somebody is picking winners and losers:

Last edited by dilettante; Jun 18th, 2022 at 07:58 PM.

I had a 2003 Civic Hybrid CVT with 46 city/51 highway MPG (nominal, EPA) and 13.2 gallon gasoline tank that I bought in 2002. For years I was making a trip about 550 miles each way and seldom had range anxiety after the first run I made.

Of course it was easy to fill up before reaching the hinterlands, and I could top up again close to the other endpoint. But just a 2 gallon can in the trunk would have been a useful reserve.

I'm a little surprised that even with improvements in battery technologies, traction motors, drive trains, tires, and aerodynamics the efficiency and range haven't increased by a lot in 20 years.

One reservation I have about a full PHEV is that the concept strays almost as far into net negatives as a full EV. The entire vehicle becomes borderline experimental technology, a larger battery pack means a larger requirement for consumable materials with a negative story outweighing burning petroleum, range is cramped, and price and payback time are dubiously high.

Of course if you can cash in on the kickback subsidies and gasoline prices are maintained at recent levels and it remains legal to charge at electricity rates held artificially low for other domestic and commercial uses... some of the numbers can improve a lot.

I'm not sure this is sustainable though. Grid rot has already become a problem and somebody has begun picking winners and losers:

While the elite effete are the only ones plugging cars in for charging, as numbers increase somebody needs to start paying to improve generation and transmission.

Somebody is picking winners and losers:

I live just outside of Columbus proper but I can see downtown from many places I drive. My Neighborhood was one on the blackout list. It was for about three hours on a record setting heatwave. Ouch...

What is a little different now is now that I permanently work from home and I lost three hours pay. Plus my company lost me for three hours.

As far as the poorer areas being shutdown more often then richer there was a lot of grumbling/speculation about that. A power company employee explained this way:

AEP officials said they had no choice on where to cut power. Their decisions were dictated by where utility lines were most overloaded and in danger of failing, they said.
    https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...ta/7634706001/

The NAACP and local politicians got involved. I tend to believe the power company. It could be that in lower income and older neighborhoods the power grid doesn't get the same attention as richer and newer areas (my neighborhood was built in the late fifties). So not directly picking on poorer neighborhoods but the city is indirectly.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Jun 19th, 2022 at 04:57 AM.

That one's easy, just look at the weight. I've been looking at the Toyota Rav4, which has about the best range for a PHEV, but the weight is approaching two tons. My old Honda Civic was so light that three of us picked up the back end and moved it, when somebody had parked me in.

It's also go some fairly absurd power. All the reviews mention that. I don't care about acceleration and power. That's not how I drive. Still, that's also the American way. Car companies feel that we won't pay much for extra fuel efficiency, but are willing to pay more for size and power. Therefore, that's where the efficiency goes. I'm not willing to say that the car companies are wrong, either, even though I don't care about those things.

For example, the Rav4 comes with a 2.5 liter engine. Why? It does give a lot of power, but I would think that if they went with a 2.0, the gas efficiency would be considerably higher, the weight would be somewhat lighter, too, so the electric range might be higher.

You're right about the boderline experimental technology part, but that's kind of the point. They're certainly good cars for geeks. It's not just 'get in and go', there are plenty of alternatives that can be optimized. I know I enjoy that. I'm one of those people who liked having an instantaneous fuel consumption meter so that I could adjust my driving to maximize that. Having things like regenerative braking, especially if it works differently under different uses, along with the ability to adjust electric/gas usage....yeah, I'd be into that. Too into that. Probably to the point where I annoy other drivers, but not to the point where I'd be a danger to other drivers.

PowerPoster

Regenerative braking is something a lot of attention has been given to since the early days. Many current electrified vehicles have increased it to "one pedal driving" while others let the driver tune it from mild to aggressive on the fly.

The hybrid I drove for 16 years wasn't that fancy, but regen braking meant that the friction brakes lasted a very long time. It also led to some weird experiences on the road.

I remember driving parts of US-2 that are very hilly undulating up and then back down many, many times. I just turned on cruise control, no big deal. But the other vehicle nearby (traffic was very light that time of day) would race down the hill and pass me, while going up the next hill would lag and drag as I passed it in turn. This went on for maybe 30 miles.

I netted about 48 MPG on that stretch, and the state of charge indicator showed that regen was even able to supply more if I had more battery. I hate to think what that guzzling duck in his heavy pickup truck was getting.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm one of those people who liked having an instantaneous fuel consumption meter so that I could adjust my driving to maximize that.
    Haven't all cars had that for many years now? My 2018 Civic certainly does. It took a while to accept getting poorer fuel economy but there wasn't anything else available. My hybrid was totaled and I had to buy something off the lot. Being older now, retired, and add in Covid years... I don't drive as much right now.

PowerPoster

That reminds me.

Cars do not like to just sit. Batteries like that even less.

I had retired before hitting that deer and those last two years I found I had to make battery conditioning runs periodically to keep the mileage up. Rather than just burning fuel I tried to plan useful trips. My last big trip was in 2015, 600 miles each way.

I think this could be an issue for others who retire or have an electrified 2nd car. Use or or lose it.

My point exactly...

Hours after a mass shooting at a 4 July parade in Illinois left six people dead and dozens of others injured, state senator Darren Bailey asked Americans to move on and celebrate.
    The Republican lawmaker said in a statement: “Let’s move on and celebrate the independence of this nation,” reported The Daily Beast.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2115809.html

It is our nation's choice...live with it.

King of sapila

I wonder if he said to jump off a cliff to purify the evil killing spirits.

PowerPoster

I've been noticing these types of shootings happening in Europe being reported in our news. I don't know if these types of crimes are on the rise in Europe or they are just getting attention in our news because mass shootings are a hot topic here.

I hope it's the later.

King of sapila

Probably 1-5% of what you have there.
    Nothing remotely close to Greece so far or other non gun countries, at least, I've heard of.
    I've vaguely remember something happening to Norway 5 years ago with a lunat and in France of course but that where not your day to day frantic's.
    Eventually with the shortage on guns they give up and find more colorful ways like driving trucks to people or attack with knifes but again, those are classified as mad terrorist attacks (with people of a particular religion) not day to day kills.
    So as far as we can compare, yep, you're champs over there.

PowerPoster

I wasn't trying to compare. I was asking if these types of crimes are on the rise.

This is the most recent I can remember.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/04/11096...-random-attack

King of sapila

Might be on the rise.
    Covid and lockdowns create a lot of psychological issues to people , along with the energy and food crisis , they blended together.
    So next time be more careful on who we vote.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I was asking if these types of crimes are on the rise.
    I would definitely say no. That Danish attack got so much reporting because it was such an extraordinary event. It was the first mass shooting Denmark has had in 7 years.

Edit> Wes, I don't get the impression it's what you were doing but some US pundits (including Lauren Boebert because... of course Lauren Boebert) are seizing on the Denmark shooting to "excuse" mass shootings in the US. Don't be surprised if people jump to the conclusion that that's what you're doing too. They're feeling pretty defensive right now.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jul 6th, 2022 at 02:43 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Masculinity and Mass Shootings in the U.S. is interesting.

Mainly because it gives an overview of the statistics going back further than most mass media do. For some reason many cut off the stats at 1982, though here we are given numbers back to 1966. I think I know the reason and its political basis, but form your own opinion.

The "why" explored is interesting but probably only a part of the problem. How big or small I have no way to judge.

But the message it sends is that masculinity is toxic. I can only wonder why the US is more masculine than elsewhere and why it has become so much more so in recent times.

The typical "don't take my gun" argument is losing its steam lately. They switched it to mental health. Any reason but the one that is common in every single mass shooting...a high powered, high capacity rifle.

King of sapila

I don't want to saintize Europe. We had out share of crimes but as I've said there where mostly terrorist attacks, but we had our share.
    Of course a teenager armed and shooting, to my knowledge hasn't happened but I see people on the streets mumbling after all these have happened.
    I think because of the latest covid and food gas development there is a raise on domestic family violence tho.
    Now if guns where available for everyone, I couldn't not predict what might have happened and I don't wanna.

P.S. Some ministers resigned in UK? Among them the health and finance minister?Although that should go nice in the Ukraine or the hunted thread...

I get leftist propaganda vibes from reading that. Almost as if they want to blame it on "toxic masculinity" or lack of gun control. Typical leftist trash.

I'll tell you the real reason for most of these mass shootings as it relates to masculinity. When you feminize an entire generation of boys by telling them it's ok to wear dresses and urinate sitting down, what you're doing is setting up these boys for failure in areas that matter a lot to young men in their adolescence and early adulthood. They want to be respected by their peers and have some level of appeal to the opposite sex. I know you guys must be sick of seeing me post this image but I have to do so again to make this point:-

That is your modern man people. Tell me, does that look like a man that commands the respect and admiration of other man? Does that look like a man that women fight over? Don't think about it. Just look at the image and tell me me what your gut says. Thing is, when you have entire generation of men like this coming out in the world and failing to find their place, they get frustrated. When they look for answers all they get is typical leftist advice that only seeks to have the double down on the very characteristics responsible for their failures. Eventually some of the crack and they go shoot up a school. Elliot Rodgers is a perfect example of this very thing at play. Go read his manifesto.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

King of sapila

So it's a dork shootfest?
    Tho why that does not happened in other parts of the world?
    The feminization is everywhere these days and other countries also allow guns.
    Maybe it's the water?The food?Or maybe US has reached it's limits?

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Tho why that does not happened in other parts of the world?
    The feminization is everywhere these days and other countries also allow guns
    It is true that the US leftist culture has been exported successfully to places all over the world through movies, TV Shows, major news networks like CNN and social media platforms like Twitter and Reddit. Thankfully, while it does have an influence, it is not nearly as deep as it is in the USA and certain Anglo-sphere countries like Sweden and Australia. It's effect is minimal to non-existent in 3rd world countries like Latin American countries and my own country. You think you could talk any of that leftist filth where I am from? You'd be mocked mercilessly if you believed in any of the leftist progressive rubbish being promoted in the American mainstream media where I'm from. We don't teach our boys to play with dolls here. We teach them if someone smacks you in the face, you smack them right back much harder.
    Last edited by Niya; Jul 6th, 2022 at 05:46 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast