Thread: newer VS versions and subscriptions

newer VS versions and subscriptions

Hi all.
    To start, I may be WAY off base on my understanding of this.
    As an old VB6 coder, I never really got into the later versions of VS.
    I got 2003 right after it came out, and dabbled with it, but mostly stuck with VB6.
    I'm not a professional coder anymore (for 17 years now!), but I do dabble.
    In trying to figure out what version of VS I could upgrade to (my .NET apps are in 1.1 which I understand was not supported very long),
    I started to come to the understanding that at some point MS transformed VS to a kind of subscription/account system where you have to log in somewhere (I think I saw something about having an Azure account somewhere).
    I'm not trying to become part of a membership club or log in online to access what's in the IDE.
    I just want to have a standalone system like my trusty old VB6 and occasional .NET 2003.
    What is the newest version of VS that I can get that doesn't have me logging in someplace to be able to work, or having accounts with MS or some third party entity.
    Or have I gotten this all wrong?
    And along that line, what is the latest version I could go to that I could upgrade the apps I wrote in .NET 2003 without a major overhaul?
    Thanks.
    Wen Gang, Programmer
    VB6, QB, HTML, ASP, VBScript, Visual C++, Java

Re: newer VS versions and subscriptions

Modern versions of VS (since 2017 or possibly earlier) do have the option to log in, but I think you don't actually need to log in. I did log in (so settings get shared wherever I use VS), but the details get remembered so I don't need to login again.

You certainly don't need to be online to use VS, but to install it you might need to be online (and for VS updates you do need to be online).

Try out the free Community (or previously Express) editions of VS, which should easily cover everything you need.

As for upgrading from 2003, there probably isn't that much difference in the effort required to upgrade the code - you may as well go for the latest edition of VS, as that will future-proof any work you do now.

Thanks, Si.
    That's good advice. I don't mean to say that I'm opposed to being online.
    I just don't want to have to log into any platforms or subscriptions to have an IDE in which to develop.
    I want to work in a standalone environment.
    Since you mentioned it, how does the Community edition stack up against the expensive versions?
    Wen Gang, Programmer
    VB6, QB, HTML, ASP, VBScript, Visual C++, Java

From what I understand, the Community edition is almost identical to the Professional edition, just with different license terms (free for personal use and small business).

They have a decent comparison page:
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/compare/

Quote Originally Posted by wengang View Post
    Thanks, Si.
    That's good advice. I don't mean to say that I'm opposed to being online.
    I just don't want to have to log into any platforms or subscriptions to have an IDE in which to develop.
    I want to work in a standalone environment.
    Since you mentioned it, how does the Community edition stack up against the expensive versions?
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/compare/ gives a pretty decent comparison of the various versions.

One thing I have never been clear on is whether or not there is an occasional login necessary for the CE version. I have the Pro version with a key, whereas CE is the Pro version without a key. I never login to anything, and use VS for some seriously remote work (I have it on a Surface Pro so that I can do coding while in at tent on multi-week bike trips). I'm not totally sure how CE works, though. Do you have to refresh something monthly? I'm not sure.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Having recently installed the latest two versions... 19 & 22 .... I've only had to login to download VS2019 ... That's it. That's just for the download. Once installed, there was no logging in.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Having recently installed the latest two versions... 19 & 22 .... I've only had to login to download VS2019 ... That's it. That's just for the download. Once installed, there was no logging in.

-tg
    It's the opposite :-) No need to login to download. First month of use no need to login. But after that at least once per month need to be online to keep "logged-in" (active) status of community edition.

Guess we'll see ... I didn't have to login for anytihng to get the CE ... but for 2019 I had to log into my MS Account just to download it.

BUt we'll see I guess, I've only had it installed for a couple weeks.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I wasn't sure what I got at first, but I did feel that after a month, I was prompted to do something. What I ended up doing was putting the product key in, after which I have not needed to do anything. However, that was a few years back, and I forget what prompted me for the product key.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Guess we'll see ... I didn't have to login for anytihng to get the CE ... but for 2019 I had to log into my MS Account just to download it.

BUt we'll see I guess, I've only had it installed for a couple weeks.

-tg
    I just downloaded 2019 a week ago, I had to sign in to my MS account but not since then. I think there was an option when I downloaded that asked "do you want to remain logged in", I said no.

I've has 2019 on another computer for a couple of years and have never had to log in again.

I've downloaded and used VS2019 CE and I'm currently using VS2022 CE. I don't recall ever being required to log in to anything.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber