Thread: Create maths document

Create maths document

Does anyone have experience of easily creating a 'mathematical' document (eg html, pdf etc - the type is not that important) that contains mathematical formula properly formatted (eg with integral, summation signs etc etc). I know this can be done in word but it's such a pain. Is there dedicated software (preferably free!) (Windows 7) to do/help with this task? eg create a 'document' that shows how to integrate sechx.

Alternatively, can this be done using say a tablet and a stylus with drawn input converted into 'proper' format? If yes, are there any cheap recommendations please?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

PowerPoster

Re: Create maths document

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Does anyone have experience of easily creating a 'mathematical' document (eg html, pdf etc - the type is not that important) that contains mathematical formula properly formatted (eg with integral, summation signs etc etc). I know this can be done in word but it's such a pain. Is there dedicated software (preferably free!) (Windows 7) to do/help with this task? eg create a 'document' that shows how to integrate sechx.

Alternatively, can this be done using say a tablet and a stylus with drawn input converted into 'proper' format? If yes, are there any cheap recommendations please?
    Markdown (or at least some flavours of Markdown) supports this https://github.blog/2022-05-19-math-...t-in-markdown/

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Markdown (or at least some flavours of Markdown) supports this https://github.blog/2022-05-19-math-...t-in-markdown/
    With Markdown you can use Pandoc to convert to many other formats. Or as OptionBase1 wrote - use LaTeX and then convert it with Pandoc to whatever you want.

I've heard of LaTeX but I thought it had a steep learning curve and wasn't easy to use? If anyone has really used LaTeX I'd be grateful for their comment on how easy it is to learn/use.

Also, there's absolutely loads of web pages available on the Internet that contain mathematical equations. Were these produced using LaTex or by.... ?
    Last edited by 2kaud; Jul 5th, 2023 at 04:08 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    I've heard of LaTeX but I thought it had a steep learning curve and wasn't easy to use? If anyone has really used LaTeX I'd be grateful for their comment on how easy it is to learn/use.

Also, there's absolutely loads of web pages available on the Internet that contain mathematical equations. Were these produced using LaTex or by.... ?
    If you want to craft HTML by hand then https://www.toptal.com/designers/htmlarrows/math/ is a decent reference for the various symbols you can use

PowerPoster

I stumbled upon the math functionality in LibreOffice (whatever the word processor part of that is called). It looked pretty easy to use, but might only be so if your functions are reasonably small. I haven't used it, just looked into it a bit.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I haven't used Libre (just Office 2010) and in that IMO it's a pain for anything other than simple formula. Does anyone know if Libre Writer is the same or 'easier' to use?

I can't compare the two, as I've never even looked at what Word allows.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

It depends on your needs and preferences. If you need to create complex mathematical documents that will be published, then LaTeX is the best choice. If you want a more lightweight option that is easy to learn and use, then Markdown is a good choice. And if you want a free and open-source office suite with a good mathematical equation editor, then LibreOffice is a good choice.