Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monkeypox Outbreak - Global Spread?

Re: Monkeypox Outbreak - Global Spread?

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Now it will stay there.
    And you seem to talk to me directly. I don't know what kind of relationship you think we have but I would appreciate if you either call me Sir or Master Sap or My master.
    Thanks.
    Champions League time (US people don't have a clue obviously, so , see ya...)
    Master Sap?? The term 'sap' has largely fallen out of favor in US English. I don't know whether it had any particular meaning in British English. I feel like it faded out in the US back around the 70s or 80s, but it's one of those words that faded out rather than being repurposed.

Of course, we know you're just V. Putin using a pseudonym, but if you'd like to be called Master Sap....well, sure.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

Sap being the issuance from the cut bark of certain trees. Does that make it feel any better? Or is that more of an insult?

We never used the word sap in any other context (to any degree) over the pond though we do understand and acknowledge the American usage, the only time we would come across it is in conjunction with Lauren Bacall, Ava Gardner or similar.
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

King of sapila

I'm getting a lecture about my nick after 16 years on the forums!
    You forgot 2 things.
    1)SAP as the logistics company.
    2)Sapator is a tractor in Romanian , I think.

But really find a Greek and tell the name and then you can see a reaction.

Also I don't want to be called Mater Sap , it was an argument on a different thread...But if you like to..
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

I think Master Sap fits you perfectly, I vote to keep it.

the only time we would come across it is in conjunction with Lauren Bacall, Ava Gardner or similar.
    I don't get the correlation.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    We never used the word sap in any other context (to any degree) over the pond though we do understand and acknowledge the American usage, the only time we would come across it is in conjunction with Lauren Bacall, Ava Gardner or similar.
    Uhhhh, with THOSE examples, I'd have to say that you have a totally different definition from what I have. I'm not quite sure that I want to hear what your definition is, though.

Frenzied Member

460 confirmed cases, 56 additional suspected cases, 33 countries.

Still marching forward. I read somewhere that it can take a couple weeks for visible symptoms to appear, although I'm not sure if the person is able to spread it during that initial period.

My current status of worry about this on a scale of 0 to 10: 0.41.

I heard an interview with a virologist, yesterday. He pointed out that this is not a particularly contagious disease, nor a new one. The only thing that has people taking notice is that it is behaving differently, this time. In the past, there would be a few cases here and there, but this time there are simultaneous outbreaks on most continents. They don't spread much, are easy to contain, and are treatable, so there's little cause for concern....except that something clearly changed to get this pattern of distribution.

PowerPoster

Uncomfortable information:

Frenzied Member

Color me completely unsurprised.

Of course it was being studied. Why is this a surprise? Monkeypox is related to smallpox, and has been around for decades. What do you think virologists do?

That's got to be one of the stupidest conspiracy theory starter kit ever. Unfortunately, it will also work.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Of course it was being studied. Why is this a surprise? Monkeypox is related to smallpox, and has been around for decades. What do you think virologists do?

That's got to be one of the stupidest conspiracy theory starter kit ever. Unfortunately, it will also work.
    Take a hike.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Take a hike
    I think you may have missed the point of Shaggy's post. He's pointing out that, if the Wuhan lab was studying MonkeyPox, that would be completely unremarkable. Studying viruses is what virology labs are meant to be doing. It wouldn't be surprising to find a load of labs in the West that were studying it too.

The point is, it does not imply some sinister plot by the Chinese government.

Edit> Having had a bit of time to watch the video through, Dr Campbell isn't really implying some sinister plot either. In short, the Wuhan lab announced in February that they synthesised part (roughly a third) of the MonkeyPox virus in order to facilitate research into it etc. (i.e. the bog standard work that virology labs are set up to carry out). The closest he gets to implying anything sinister is to point out that the actual virus is freely available from laboratories in Nigeria so synthesising it for yourself seems like an odd choice and he wonders why they did it. I think that's a very valid observation but, since the lab openly published their work, it seems difficult to ascribe this to some nefarious plot.

One thing I will say, I think people could get the impression that the Chinese "created" MonkeyPox as a new virus but that's not the case. It's not new and there have been periodic outbreaks in Africa for God knows how long.

I have to say, I really like Dr C. His stuff's well researched, delivered in a measured form (perhaps a little hyperbolic at times but that's YouTube for you), backed by verifiable evidence and he's not afraid to change his position when new facts emerge. In this case I think he chose a title that was a bit clickbaity but that's all. The content of the video itself seems solid to me.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jun 1st, 2022 at 03:38 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Fanatic Member

Regardless of the final truth, the Western media have already achieved their goal of smearing and slandering China. Science and truth have been buried in political maneuvering.

The rapid decline of the United States and the entire Western world is caused by the lies of the Western media. The lies, prejudice and double standards of the Western media are a mental opium and a chronic poison, just like the opium sold by Britain to China more than 100 years ago. The only difference is that China's opium was forcibly sold to China by Britain, while the spiritual opium of the West is now sold to itself by the West.

If God wants it to perish, he must first make it crazy.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 1st, 2022 at 05:53 AM.

the Western media have already achieved their goal of smearing and slandering China
    Hardly. I don't think it's been mentioned at all in our mainstream media and the only mention I've seen was that Dr Campbell Pod Cast.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Yeah, there has been no suggestion in US media that it came from China (at least none that I listen to). It didn't come from monkeys, either, but "monkeypox" is certainly a much funnier name than, "yet another virus from a rodent".

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Take a hike.
    I will, thank you, but not for a couple more weeks.

PowerPoster

Regardless of the final truth, the Western media have already achieved their goal of smearing and slandering China. Science and truth have been buried in political maneuvering.
    It looks like once again you've been lied to by your government controlled media and your complete lack of knowledge of what's happening in the western media is exposed.

I've not heard or seen one mention of China in relation to the Monkeypox virus.

but "monkeypox" is certainly a much funnier name than, "yet another virus from a rodent".
    A lot more funnier, more fun than a barrel of rats. lol

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    It looks like once again you've been lied to by your government controlled media and your complete lack of knowledge of what's happening in the western media is exposed.

A lot more funnier, more fun than a barrel of rats. lol
    It seems the story is coming from China:

https://www.insider.com/wild-monkeyp...l-media-2022-5
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Hardly. I don't think it's been mentioned at all in our mainstream media and the only mention I've seen was that Dr Campbell Pod Cast.
    Well there was also:

No, monkeypox didnít leak from Wuhan (The initial evidence suggests)

So itís very unlikely that any experiment on monkeypox in the Wuhan lab would have leaked. But the discovery of these experiments raises alarm given the experience of Covid. Emails uncovered between the Wellcome Trustís Jeremy Farrar and Americaís Antony Fauci suggested that the lab Ďaccidentally created a virus primed for rapid transmission between humans.í In the same emails, the former director of the US National Institutes for Health warned publication could damage Ďinternational harmony.í Without more transparency within the scientific community, particularly in China, any outbreak or any virus will immediately lead to more and more suspicion.
    I believe the Fauci emails there are talking about Covid and not Monkeypox.

I don't know how "mainstream" The Spectator is within the UK though.

PowerPoster

Sort of odd that one day Biden utters serious cautions to the people regarding Monkeypox, and the next day at some glad-handing hoo-haw in Asia "walked it all back."

Perhaps it was all a mistake, senility coming to the fore again? Or is there a real concern but a concern that he regretted expressing after feedback regarding "international harmony?'

This seems to give us few choices. Either there is nothing really there and Biden can't be trusted or... Biden can't be trusted.

Two faced? Or just incompetent and spreading conspiracy theories unless kept on a short leash?

Fanatic Member

Do you know why I didn't reply to your question? Because you don't have basic knowledge and basic judgment. When you suspect that I am being deceived by the media controlled by the Chinese government, just like a few years ago, those who were brainwashed in Taiwan thought that Chinese mainlanders were too poor to eat eggs, and they also asked those mainland Chinese who traveled to Taiwan , Have you ever seen a building as tall as Taipei 101? Does China have a bustling metropolis like Taipei? When people in Taiwan ask mainland Chinese those questions, most people were silent. Just like I was silent to you.

When you ask me some questions naively, you don't know how ridiculous your questions are in the eyes of Chinese people?

I once said "China is the most open country in the world", you never understand what this sentence means?

When you are always in the well, you can never see the sky outside. You'll never see the world in true color when your government and the media put a dark sunglasses on you which you can never take off.

When I say "No, voters will never be able to do that (can't elect a president who can ban guns). Just as voters will never be able to elect someone who can truly lead the country." 99.9% of people here don't understand what it means.

Edit:
    The ridiculous thing I said about Taiwan happened just a few years ago, this situation occurs when "Taiwan and mainland China are only a few dozen nautical miles apart, and people on both sides of the Taiwan Strait speak the same language, and every year 2 million Taiwanese work and live in mainland China and travel between the two sides of the strait all year round, and Taiwan has no internet restrictions and Taiwan is a so-called free and democratic society".

"wes4dbt asked me where to find and read information on American society and media" occured in May 2022.

Who are brainwashed?
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 1st, 2022 at 08:17 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Do you know why I didn't reply to your question? Because you don't have basic knowledge and basic judgment. When you suspect that I am being deceived by the media controlled by the Chinese government, just like a few years ago, those who were brainwashed in Taiwan thought that Chinese mainlanders were too poor to eat eggs, and they also asked those mainland Chinese who traveled to Taiwan , Have you ever seen a building as tall as Taipei 101? Does China have a bustling metropolis like Taipei? When people in Taiwan ask mainland Chinese those questions, most people were silent. Just like I was silent to you.

When you ask me some questions naively, you don't know how ridiculous your questions are in the eyes of Chinese people?

I once said "China is the most open country in the world", you never understand what this sentence means?

When you are always in the well, you can never see the sky outside. You'll never see the world in true color when your government and the media put a dark sunglasses on you which you can never take off.

When I say "No, voters will never be able to do that (can't elect a president who can ban guns). Just as voters will never be able to elect someone who can truly lead the country." 99.9% of people here don't understand what it means.

Edit:
    The ridiculous thing I said about Taiwan happened just a few years ago, this situation occurs when "Taiwan and mainland China are only a few dozen nautical miles apart, and people on both sides of the Taiwan Strait speak the same language, and every year 2 million Taiwanese work and live in mainland China and travel between the two sides of the strait all year round, and Taiwan has no internet restrictions and Taiwan is a so-called free and democratic society".

"wes4dbt asked me where to find and read information on American society and media" occured in May 2022.

Who are brainwashed?
    What a bunch of babbling nonsense. It has nothing to do with your post about Monkeypox "the Western media have already achieved their goal of smearing and slandering China". Which is false. But you've avoided taking responsibility for posting that lie. You seem to make a habit of avoiding responsibility for making false statements.

You'll never see the world in true color when your government and the media put a dark sunglasses on you which you can never take off.
    I guess your talking about China. Our governments don't control the media here. Our governments problems are in the news constantly and reported on by the left, right and middle.

wes4dbt asked me where to find and read information on American society and media" occured in May 2022.
    I didn't ask "where to find and read information on American society and media", I asked "where DO YOU find and read information on American society and media"

I've asked several times and you still are afraid to answer. From reading your posts my guess is the only thing you know is what what your government has told you. But your not fooling anyone here. Your just peddling the Chinese governments propaganda.

You can believe what ever you want, I not trying to change that. But when you post false statement then I will point them out.

Fanatic Member

But when you post false statement then I will point them out.
    You need to have a certain amount of knowledge and judgment when you point out someone's false statement.

When Dr Campbell Pod Cast talked about Chinese labs and monkeypox virus together, he and the Western media had achieved their purpose: psychological cues.

When you think that I can only get outside information from the media controlled by the Chinese government, you are as ignorant as people in Taiwan.

The reason I mentioned Taiwan jokes is to make a point: with the extremely developed Internet, the Taiwanese government and media can brainwash 70-90% of the people in Taiwan into idiots. Similarly, Western governments and Western media can brainwash 70-90% of the population into idiots.

From what I've seen in chit-chat sub-forum in recent years, almost no one here can break through the barriers built by the false information of the Western media to see the real world outside.

The shift in my perception of Western politicians and Western media happened in 2019. In 2019, when thugs in Hong Kong attacked pregnant women under the banner of freedom and democracy, beat up children (because their parents supported China's central government), beat up old people who cleared roadblocks, extremely brutally burned dissidents with alcohol, and extremely brutal attack on innocent mainland Chinese tourists. When the Western media almost unanimously covered up their atrocities, I knew that 99.9999% of the Western media had lost fairness and justice. During the ensuing Covid-19 epidemic, I again saw ugly performances by Western politicians and Western media, and I knew that the entire Western world would completely decline in the disinformation of the Western media.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 1st, 2022 at 09:58 PM.

PowerPoster

You need to have a certain amount of knowledge and judgment when you point out someone's false statement.
    Not really, not when your statements are blatantly false.

When Dr Campbell Pod Cast talked about Chinese labs and monkeypox virus together, he and the Western media had achieved their purpose: psychological cues.
    If you had any real experience with the "Western Media" you would know they're not that subtle. lol

When you think that I can only get outside information from the media controlled by the Chinese government, you are as ignorant as people in Taiwan.
    The reason I mentioned Taiwan jokes is to make a point: with the extremely developed Internet, the Taiwanese government and media can brainwash 70-90% of the people in Taiwan into idiots. Similarly, Western governments and Western media can brainwash 70-90% of the population into idiots.
    This is another thing you seem to make a habit of, Name Calling.

Well there was also:

No, monkeypox didnít leak from Wuhan (The initial evidence suggests)
    The spectator's certainly mainstream but I hardly think an article explicitely saying it didn't leak from China makes SearchDataOnly's case

When Dr Campbell Pod Cast talked about Chinese labs and monkeypox virus together
    You mean when he referred to the paper that the Wuhan lab had themselves published. 1. He's not mainstream media 2. He really didn't imply what you're saying he implied.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jun 2nd, 2022 at 05:16 AM.

PowerPoster

I guess I was more focused on the "mentioned in the media" aspect and not media interpretations, judgements, or "slanders." So I get your point.

Interestingly, that Spectator article says "One theory involves the Wuhan Institute of Virology." but doesn't actually say where the theory is coming from. I did a quick search for "Wuhan MonkeyPox Theory" and I found lots of places debunking the theory but nobody actually pushing it. My guess, it'll have started somewhere in the depths of social media and then got squashed by the mainstream press before it really got legs.

I thought this was an interesting piece of info:

Cases have steadily increased in sub-Saharan Africa over the past 3 decades, driven largely by a medical triumph. The vaccine against smallpox, a far deadlier and more transmissible virus, also protects against monkeypox, but the world stopped using it in the 1970s, shortly before smallpox was declared eradicated.
    https://www.science.org/content/arti...-is-up-against

The article is a pretty good read.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

A lot packed into this one:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12