Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monkeypox Outbreak - Global Spread?

PowerPoster

Monkeypox Outbreak - Global Spread?

Closing in on 100 total cases, in 10+ countries across the world. Hopefully this fizzles quickly. Some of the pictures of infected people are very disturbing.

PowerPoster

Re: Monkeypox Outbreak - Global Spread?

Wikipedia page with current statistics

The next week or two are going to be interesting to see the direction this thing goes.

PowerPoster

It sounds serious, but I've been hearing sympathetic voices insisting there is no pandemic risk. Something to watch.

PowerPoster

From what I've read, transmission is nowhere near as easy as something like Covid, thankfully. I've also read that this outbreak has spread mostly through sexual contact, and I'll leave it at that, since I have no idea if other details I've read are accurate or not.

The piece that I find somewhat concerning is how it went from seeming to be isolated to just the UK a week or so ago to now being found in 12 other countries in the last few days. And who knows what sort of testing (if any) is being done elsewhere.

PowerPoster

The vector travel is remarkably similar. Will it take a "28 Days Later" scenario before the world catches on?

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Will it take a "28 Days Later" scenario before the world catches on?
    Almost certainly. Anything else would get in the way of business.

I saw a headline the other day that we have case in Australia now. I believe that it was a woman who travelled here from the UK.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm personally not overly concerned. 100 cases is basically nothing and I think we're probably just jumping at ghosts after Covid. Worth keeping an eye on though.

On transmission, from what I've read it's transmitted from open sours that contain the virus. If puss from that sore finds it's way past skin (cuts, eyes, nose etc) then infection can occur. Those sores occur across the whole body, not just genitals. So it doesn't have to be sexually transmitted but that's going to be among the most common scenarios when it does.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I'm personally not overly concerned. 100 cases is basically nothing and I think we're probably just jumping at ghosts after Covid. Worth keeping an eye on though.
    Who remembers when Covid-USA was just a few cases in a nursing home in Washington state? But yeah, its spread will be many orders of magnitude slower than Covid.

On transmission, from what I've read it's transmitted from open sours that contain the virus. If puss from that sore finds it's way past skin (cuts, eyes, nose etc) then infection can occur. Those sores occur across the whole body, not just genitals. So it doesn't have to be sexually transmitted but that's going to be among the most common scenarios when it does.
    Right, not limited to sex, but is reported to be the dominant vector in this particular outbreak. I wonder, then, if people currently celibate would be accepted as having a level of "natural immunity"?

From what I understand, healthcare workers who are treating infected patients are at a high risk just because of their potential contact with the patients.

The good news is it should be possible to do effective contact tracing because of the low infected/suspected infected numbers at this point.

King of sapila

I must admit I was a bit naive at the first "panic thread" you created back in the day.
    Now we know that FDA WHO CDC and any other 55years organization I've forgotten is corrupted to the core. So I don't really care about the next pandemic coming soon, I don't care about their new vaccines and I certainly don't care about the new vaxbie batch trembling in their basements. You've been warned once,I had time to waste since we where 2years locked but there won't be a second, do as you will.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Now we know that FDA WHO CDC and any other 55years organization I've forgotten is corrupted to the core.
    NO, we don't know that. But you continue to cry WOLF.

I'm glad to hear you don't care, that's the best thing for everyone.

PowerPoster

106 confirmed cases, 76 suspected additional cases, 15 countries. Spain and Portugal seem to be hot spots currently.

For the record, my current status of worry about this on a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 = no concern whatsoever: 0.2

To me, it would be less concerning overall with more total infections than there are currently and geographically isolated to just the UK, for example. The geographical spread is bad because it introduces new and more potential hot spots, even if they are each somewhat limited in the number of infections.

I would be more concerned if the vector of transmission was airborne. It's a potential issue, but it isn't clear that it is sufficiently transmissible that it can't be readily contained. Of course, AIDS appears to have the same vector of transmission, and that has never been eliminated, so we'll see.

One thing I would note is that this vector seems more of a hands on, manual, approach, whereas COVID was aerial and could be spread well before any visible symptoms, which seems to be another feature of monkey pox...though it is quite possible that the visible symptoms are not easy to spot. Still, we ALL breathe, we ALL cough, so the spread of COVID seemed much more automatic and hard to stop.

I guess I'm just more worried when the transmission is automatic rather than manual.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Of course, AIDS appears to have the same vector of transmission, and that has never been eliminated, so we'll see.
    That's an interesting point. But (I could be wrong) AIDS isn't really all that visible in the early stages. Is it???

Not at all, as far as I know, but then again, I don't know how visible monkeypox really is.

The US had an outbreak in 2003, 71 cases, from what I've read on Wikipedia. It was all tied to an exotic animal distributor with infected Gambian pouched rats and prairie dogs.

There was only 1 case in the states July of last year.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; May 22nd, 2022 at 01:31 PM.

PowerPoster

I see that COVID is arising again here: U.S. COVID-19 map: What do the trends mean for you?

A pox on your monkeys!

PowerPoster

170 confirmed cases, 91 additional suspected cases, 18 countries. A bunch of new cases in the UK were added to the totals. Almost doubling in just 4 days, but hopefully that is just because of tracking down potential contacts and getting them tested, and not because it has that type of long-term spread potential.

I'm not sure I follow the "panic thread" comment, and that's fine. If this thread starts to go as sideways as the Covid-19 thread eventually did, then I'm going to insist that this thread be locked like that one was.

I just don't see any reason to go ape about this. People are just acting bananas. The best approach is to not see, speak, or hear about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

this vector seems more of a hands on, manual, approach
    I am trying SO hard not to make jokes about this...

170 confirmed cases, 91 additional suspected cases, 18 countries.
    I have to say, the trajectory is starting to look a little worrying. Personally I'm still writing this off as increased monitoring. Something has definitely changed in this virus, though.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-expected.html

My current status of worry about this on a scale of 0 to 10: 0.35

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-expected.html

My current status of worry about this on a scale of 0 to 10: 0.35
    From that link:

Health chiefs are alarmed about the cluster of cases, which has disproportionately struck gay and bisexual men. Yesterday experts warned that monkeypox could spread to pets and wildlife and become endemic in Europe.

A senior WHO official yesterday claimed the leading theory explaining the spread of the disease was sexual behaviour at two raves held in Belgium and Spain.

Meanwhile, experts at Portugal's National Institute of Health in Lisbon, who analyzed the monkeypox strains, said the multi-country outbreak 'most likely has a single origin' at a super-spreader event.

PowerPoster

It sounds as if there is a primary "express train" vector population, but then it seems to be spreading from there within households to children and others.

Severity and mortality seems to be higher in naĂŻve populations: those younger with less life-history of viral exposure in general, as well as never vaccinated against smallpox which appears to be relevant in terms of cross-immunity.

I can't tell whether this is an unusual situation... or just that we have become overly reactive to a sort of thing that pops up and then fades all of the time.

I can't tell whether this is an unusual situation... or just that we have become overly reactive to a sort of thing that pops up and then fades all of the time.
    Yes, one wonders whether this would have received as much attention pre-COVID. I have no idea either way.

PowerPoster

I would say it is a mix of both.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Yes, one wonders whether this would have received as much attention pre-COVID. I have no idea either way.
    I would say no it would not have...someone already posted about some 71 cases in the US a few years back and I don't remember anything about it. I saw a piece on CNN that was ten years old where Dr. Sanjay Gupta was reporting on an outbreak in Africa and I don't remember that either.

PowerPoster

258 confirmed cases, 87 additional suspected cases, 22 countries.

My current status of worry about this on a scale of 0 to 10: 0.38

My current status of worry about this on a scale of 0 to 10: 0.38
    I get where you're coming from, the anxiety is slowly growing for me too. I think we're OK but it feels like something is going on that we don't understand yet.

PowerPoster

I get where you're coming from, the anxiety is slowly growing for me too. I think we're OK but it feels like something is going on that we don't understand yet.
    My hope was that the suspected cases would start to trend downward, and it has significantly as of today. It looks like a bunch of suspected cases were confirmed, but very, very few new suspected cases have emerged. Since we're hitting a weekend globally, and a holiday weekend here, I'm not sure how active the updating will be in the next few days. But I think next week will be the indicator of if this thing has pretty much burned out already or not.

320 confirmed cases, 16 additional suspected cases, 21 countries.

My current status of worry about this on a scale of 0 to 10: 0.3

The only concern I have is that monkeypox appears to be somewhat similar to smallpox. How similar, I do not know. The concern is that it might be close enough that it could mutate into something that really IS a concern.

PowerPoster

394 confirmed cases, 48 additional suspected cases, 28 countries.

Steadily increasing, which isn't good. Several additional countries involved, also not good.

My current status of worry about this on a scale of 0 to 10: 0.40

PowerPoster

Thanks, finally we get the news from an honest government. Those treacherous Americans are spreading virus's again.

King of sapila

I'm just helping the thread to move a little.
    I can happily remove the post if asked by OB.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Why don't you removes it because it was BS when you posted it. A little trash clean up on aisle 11. Geez...why do you stain this site like that

King of sapila

Now it will stay there.
    And you seem to talk to me directly. I don't know what kind of relationship you think we have but I would appreciate if you either call me Sir or Master Sap or My master.
    Thanks.
    Champions League time (US people don't have a clue obviously, so , see ya...)

OB did report the post and state he'd rather it not be there...

And now we have the possibility of this thread getting out of hand.

PowerPoster

I don't want it removed. I got a good laugh out of it. Till I thought about how a government like that can screw up peoples perceptions. It's a shame that kind crap is so prevalent.

King of sapila

Well I said if OB asked I will remove it, so...
    Although the thread isn't something interesting without it but a promise is a promise.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    OB did report the post and state he'd rather it not be there...

And now we have the possibility of this thread getting out of hand.
    Meh, after further reflection, I'm fine with it. I just won't acknowledge the nonsense (or source thereof), and I would encourage others to do the same. That being said, if it gets out of hand, feel free to take any and all appropriate action, up to and including deleting the entire thread.

Thanks.

Now it will stay there.
    And you seem to talk to me directly. I don't know what kind of relationship you think we have but I would appreciate if you either call me Sir or Master Sap or My master.
    Thanks.
    Champions League time (US people don't have a clue obviously, so , see ya...)
    Touche...
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; May 29th, 2022 at 07:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast