Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 80 of 80

Thread: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

  1. #41
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,412

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Like it or not, Microsoft has never released VB6 to the public domain. Any version that you download for free is not a legal version. Any version that you download that is not free, if it is not from Microsoft, is also not a legal version. The only legal options that I am aware of are through the Microsoft subscription, which would be a horribly expensive way to get VB6, and through sites like eBay. Even in the latter case, it is only a legal version if it comes with the CD key.

    I don't agree with this policy on the part of Microsoft, but it's not my call.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  2. #42

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Like it or not, Microsoft has never released VB6 to the public domain. Any version that you download for free is not a legal version. Any version that you download that is not free, if it is not from Microsoft, is also not a legal version. The only legal options that I am aware of are through the Microsoft subscription, which would be a horribly expensive way to get VB6, and through sites like eBay. Even in the latter case, it is only a legal version if it comes with the CD key.

    I don't agree with this policy on the part of Microsoft, but it's not my call.

    We all know it's copyrighted and not public domain.
    I don't know if ms are selling it now - have to enquire.
    But I am a legal owner and the problem is not the key - it's the installation glitch, "this app can't run ...".
    Everyone's install disc is the same.

    My first reinstall was from you in 2005-06 as my cds had gone and it went in ok that time minus the help files for which I didn't care (xp years).
    I recall now that I was working with someone and he said "I can help you" and I said "it's ok now".

  3. #43
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    I don't think that sharing the discs is illegal because IIRC making backups and also sharing backup copies of software is legal, what is not legal is sharing unlock keys or license information.
    That probably varies from country to country but I think in USA it was like that, at least it was like 20 years ago.
    What an EULA could say is not valid when it goes against the laws (trying to forbid things that are allowed by law and that are rights).
    But I'm not sure if the right to make and share software backups was a law or jurisprudence.

    May be I'm wrong and it was not in USA.
    Last edited by argen; May 21st, 2022 at 09:01 AM.

  4. #44

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    I don't think that sharing the discs is illegal because IIRC making backups and also sharing backup copies of software is legal, what is not legal is sharing unlock keys or license information.
    That probably varies from country to country but I think in USA it was like that, at least it was like 20 years ago.
    What an EULA could say is not valid when it goes against the laws (trying to forbid things that are allowed by law and that are rights).
    But I'm not sure if the right to make and share software backups was a law or jurisprudence.

    May be I'm wrong and it was not in USA.
    It's illegal ok.
    I hired a private eye once upon a time and then the police caught the pirates
    Then without a lawyer I wrote myself a shambles of a legal document, but nevertheless they were convicted and had to pay damages.
    How to catch them across the continents as well is another story.

  5. #45
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,974

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by johnywalker View Post
    We all know it's copyrighted and not public domain.
    I don't know if ms are selling it now - have to enquire.
    But I am a legal owner and the problem is not the key - it's the installation glitch, "this app can't run ...".
    Everyone's install disc is the same.

    My first reinstall was from you in 2005-06 as my cds had gone and it went in ok that time minus the help files for which I didn't care (xp years).
    I recall now that I was working with someone and he said "I can help you" and I said "it's ok now".
    No. It's not the same.

    If what you had used in the past and continue to try to use currently is "VB 6.0" that you can simply run without installing it, then what you have IS NOT THE SAME FILE CONTENT as the original VB 6.0 CD's. It just isn't. Period. Because you couldn't do that with the original (or copies of) install CD's. The files have to have been modified in some (unknown to us here on the forum) way to allow it to run without installing. Do you get it now?

    Stop using those files. NOT because of piracy, but because they aren't the original content. You may have hosed your machine using them and now the "real" VB 6.0 install files won't install anymore either. I don't know.

    I would say the vast majority of people here don't care if you have a license key or not, or if you download valid ISO's using bittorrent of the original install CD's and use those to install VB 6.0. The red flag in your original post was that you clearly were using a modded VB 6.0 and experiencing issues with it, and expecting help with it. The help you got and refused to acknowledge was to not use that modded VB 6.0.

    Good luck.

  6. #46

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    No. It's not the same.

    If what you had used in the past and continue to try to use currently is "VB 6.0" that you can simply run without installing it, then what you have IS NOT THE SAME FILE CONTENT as the original VB 6.0 CD's. It just isn't. Period. Because you couldn't do that with the original (or copies of) install CD's. The files have to have been modified in some (unknown to us here on the forum) way to allow it to run without installing. Do you get it now?

    Stop using those files. NOT because of piracy, but because they aren't the original content. You may have hosed your machine using them and now the "real" VB 6.0 install files won't install anymore either. I don't know.

    I would say the vast majority of people here don't care if you have a license key or not, or if you download valid ISO's using bittorrent of the original install CD's and use those to install VB 6.0. The red flag in your original post was that you clearly were using a modded VB 6.0 and experiencing issues with it, and expecting help with it. The help you got and refused to acknowledge was to not use that modded VB 6.0.

    Good luck.
    I am on a fresh formatted machine without any vb6 on it badly installed or otherwise.
    In the old machine the installation crashed -when it was done- maybe because I did n't tick off the "data access" that should be ticked off in windows 10 - who remembers ?
    But in the old machine vb6 mysteriously works from the unprocessed directory.
    I don't want the old machine because it's too old and it's a tower.

    There was n't any use of unauthorized material at any stage - someone made that one up without reading my posts cerefully.
    Unauthorised material and bad installation are two different things.

    However in both machines namely the new one and the old one in which vb6 runs in a strange way if you like, if one tries to start the setup it warns "this app cannot run" etc.
    It looks like with a half done installation if we abort the vb6 may run after all, but the real issue is make the setup start.
    Last edited by johnywalker; May 21st, 2022 at 09:48 AM.

  7. #47
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,974

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by johnywalker View Post
    There was n't any use of unauthorized material at any stage - someone made that one up without reading my posts cerefully.
    Unauthorised material and bad installation are two different things.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnywalker View Post
    The same old problem again.
    My computer had to be repaired and it was reformatted. Reinstalled my backups, left VB6 for last as I knew it's tricky

    The installer I use is:

    _Getintopc.today.Microsoft_Visual_sTUDIO_6.0 iso

    I also have:

    _Oceanofexe.com_Visual_Basic_6.0.iso

    Both contain setup but I 'm not running it - a message comes up saying "this may cause security/performance issues if you run it".
    However I knew from earlier that if I just deploy the contents of the iso files in a directory and run VB6 as administrator it worked in windows 10 (ran, loaded projects, compiled etc).
    This time not. It said "DAO350.DLL component missing".
    So as suggested elsewhere I took DAO350.DLL and copied it into "\program files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft shared\DAO".
    But after this it says "unexpected error; quitting" and I cannot find a solution for this one.
    I mean, if you are going to try to rewrite history, at least edit your posts from yesterday that contradict your new narrative.

    You clearly ran a potentially questionable copy of "VB6.exe", as you admit in your own words.

    Good luck.

    Edit to add:

    My point isn't that you've been branded with a "Scarlet P" for pirate or anything like that, at least not in my mind. But there are a couple possibilities:

    The modded VB 6.0 that you attempted to run makes a bunch of registry/system file changes automatically so that it can run without needing to be installed. Those changes could very easily conflict with or cause problems with the legitimate installation files, causing nothing VB 6.0 related (modded or original install files) to ever work on your system as it currently is configured. Fix - reinstall Windows 10.

    The modded VB 6.0 that you attempted to run contained malicious code that has left your system compromised. Fix - reinstall Windows 10.

    I get that you just had Windows 10 reinstalled, and it probably cost you some money to have it done by someone else, and you probably spent a fair amount of time getting your stuff up and running, since you said you left VB 6.0 for last.

    Setting aside everything else in this thread, in general, your best option (at least in my opinion) is to use something like VirtualBox, set up a virtual Windows 7/XP machine, and use VB 6.0 on that virtual machine. Because, as you have probably seen in the threads that discuss installing VB 6.0 on Windows 10, it is definitely possible, but it can be a hassle.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; May 21st, 2022 at 11:03 AM.

  8. #48
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    I already told you how to install it in post 35. What problem did you have?

    Yes, in Data access untick ADO, RDS and Data Environment.

    The following I'm not sure if is necessary but it is what I do:
    In Enterprise Tools untick Visual Component Manager and Visual Studio Analyzer.
    In Tools untick Ole/Com Objewct Viewer

    Untick all non VB6 stuff.
    I also untick Visual Sourcesafe.

    It may install Java Virtual Machine and ask to restart the computer.

  9. #49
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    You can't install it from the original setup.exe because it won't run properly on 64 bits windows, I think it is a 16 bits installer (or calls one).

  10. #50

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    I mean, if you are going to try to rewrite history, at least edit your posts from yesterday that contradict your new narrative.

    You clearly ran a potentially questionable copy of "VB6.exe", as you admit in your own words.

    Good luck.
    It does n't contradict.
    The setups were from downloads, same as from vbfoums itself another time.
    I don't have the old cds, also explained.
    What could make it unruly is the absence of the original key (or a request for a key). There is no such post - it's a product of imagination.

    Now the behaviours would be the same, from original cds, from other.
    And we are supposed to discuss technical issues here, not provide keys or attack members whose original cds have expired,

    Also I don't care what the erroneous setup did to that older machine. It's not even mine and I look forward to put it in the basement for good.
    And we are talikng about erroneous setup - it has nothing to do with anything else.
    Last edited by johnywalker; May 21st, 2022 at 11:12 AM.

  11. #51

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    I already told you how to install it in post 35. What problem did you have?

    Yes, in Data access untick ADO, RDS and Data Environment.

    The following I'm not sure if is necessary but it is what I do:
    In Enterprise Tools untick Visual Component Manager and Visual Studio Analyzer.
    In Tools untick Ole/Com Objewct Viewer

    Untick all non VB6 stuff.
    I also untick Visual Sourcesafe.

    It may install Java Virtual Machine and ask to restart the computer.

    I did what you say.
    acmSetup is in SETUP folder.
    It shoots off without producing a windows warning but says setup.ini file not found. What to do ?

  12. #52
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,974

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by johnywalker View Post
    It does n't contradict.
    The setups were from downloads, same as from vbfoums itself another time.
    I don't have the old cds, also explained.
    What coukd make it unruly is the key (or a request for a key). There is no such post - it's a product of imagination.

    Now the behaviours would be the same, from original cds, from other.
    And we are supposed to discuss technical issues here, not provide keys or attack members whose original cds have expired,
    Well, it's no wonder you needed Windows 10 reinstalled if you believe that a "download" from who knows what website is identical to the the original files because...it says it is? Because the filename is the same?

    Mind absolutely blown. Good luck getting it all sorted.

  13. #53

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Well, it's no wonder you needed Windows 10 reinstalled if you believe that a "download" from who knows what website is identical to the the original files because...it says it is? Because the filename is the same?

    Mind absolutely blown. Good luck getting it all sorted.

    What you say is possible but has nothing to do with the originality of the software - it was seemingly erroneous setup.
    And I can't revive cds that have been damaged 17 years ago if that's your problem.
    What actually happened to this lapotop of mine is the USB ports went dead. They said the disc was bad and the windows had a problem. I paid for the disc only, not the reformatting,

  14. #54

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Well, it's no wonder you needed Windows 10 reinstalled if you believe that a "download" from who knows what website is identical to the the original files because...it says it is? Because the filename is the same?

    Mind absolutely blown. Good luck getting it all sorted.
    Pirated copies of software are 99.99999% percent of the time perfect copies as we all know - except that they are pirated of course.
    Apparently you are the guy with less knowledge of computers here - doing damage control for 50c a post.

  15. #55

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    I already told you how to install it in post 35. What problem did you have?

    Yes, in Data access untick ADO, RDS and Data Environment.

    The following I'm not sure if is necessary but it is what I do:
    In Enterprise Tools untick Visual Component Manager and Visual Studio Analyzer.
    In Tools untick Ole/Com Objewct Viewer

    Untick all non VB6 stuff.
    I also untick Visual Sourcesafe.

    It may install Java Virtual Machine and ask to restart the computer.
    acmsetup does n't work.
    Proceeds a little then it says "you must use the installation wizard" - presumably the setup.

  16. #56
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Sorry, it was not the ACMSETUP.EXE in the SETUP folder that you need to run, but to copy ACMSETUP.EXE in the parent folder and VS98ENT.STF as acmsetup.stf also in the parent folder. Then run ACMSETUP.EXE from there.

  17. #57

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    Sorry, it was not the ACMSETUP.EXE in the SETUP folder that you need to run, but to copy ACMSETUP.EXE in the parent folder and VS98ENT.STF as acmsetup.stf also in the parent folder. Then run ACMSETUP.EXE from there.
    I don't have compatibilities in the file explorer properties.
    So I made an effort to install gpedit to change this.
    It did n't work. In compatibilities gpedit it mentions only the 16bit applications for which I said "allow" but there was not mention of compatibilities for the explorer.
    Setup behaviour stays the same but I 'll try your method tomorrow.

  18. #58
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    I didn't say anything about compatibilities.

  19. #59

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    I didn't say anything about compatibilities.
    No you did n't but I saw xp service pack 3 somewhere.
    I tried to make file explorer to show me the various options but it does n't do that.
    I 'll try what you said tomorrow.

  20. #60
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    14,083

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    If you copied files from a legit copy of VB to your PC and it worked just fine the only explanation I can think of is that VB6 had been previously installed properly on that system and if it was removed was just deleted rather than uninstalled.

    It has been a while since I installed on this system but if memory serves all I did was ran the acmesetup as admin and unchecked the option for RDO and maybe one other data related option. When I tried to install with all the default options selected the install would hang near the end and while the vb ide would load and run it was not fully installed and SP6 would not install on it. Once the setup options were changed it installed without issue and SP6 installed without issue as well. The same is true under Windows 8.

    As for links to installers on VB forums. The only one I can think of and I have saw it a lot is a custom installer for VB. It is not a copy of VB. It is just a utility that is meant to make it easier to install from your own VB6 media.

  21. #61

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If you copied files from a legit copy of VB to your PC and it worked just fine the only explanation I can think of is that VB6 had been previously installed properly on that system and if it was removed was just deleted rather than uninstalled.

    It has been a while since I installed on this system but if memory serves all I did was ran the acmesetup as admin and unchecked the option for RDO and maybe one other data related option. When I tried to install with all the default options selected the install would hang near the end and while the vb ide would load and run it was not fully installed and SP6 would not install on it. Once the setup options were changed it installed without issue and SP6 installed without issue as well. The same is true under Windows 8.

    As for links to installers on VB forums. The only one I can think of and I have saw it a lot is a custom installer for VB. It is not a copy of VB. It is just a utility that is meant to make it easier to install from your own VB6 media.
    No.
    In my old tower machine there was no vb and it belonged to someone else as well and I first used it because my laptop had another problem (spilled coke).
    The installation hanged but before taking any remedial action I noticed it was working. So maybe it was almost installed and where it hanged towards the end did n't matter.
    I did not bother to investigate any further.
    In the case of vfborums (long time ago - xp years) it was a 100% working installer minus the help files. Again I did not bother to investigate and there was also my colleague who offered to help with his discs and I said I don't need.

  22. #62
    PowerPoster SamOscarBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    8,312

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Do you still have a colleague who has a legal copy of VB6 on CD's (or was that last statement in post 61 referring to a long time ago)?
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

  23. #63
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Are you still spinning like a hamster and didn't do a couple of simple steps to install VB?

  24. #64

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Do you still have a colleague who has a legal copy of VB6 on CD's (or was that last statement in post 61 referring to a long time ago)?
    Retired - lives in the country.

  25. #65

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    Are you still spinning like a hamster and didn't do a couple of simple steps to install VB?
    Feels tired right now.

  26. #66
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    You are really hard to help.
    I'm starting to think that you are making an effort in not resolving this.

  27. #67

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    You are really hard to help.
    I'm starting to think that you are making an effort in not resolving this.
    Ok. I feel confident your instructions will help. But I 'm tired now. I 'm just sitting infront of the computer watching youtube.

  28. #68
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by johnywalker View Post
    Ok. I feel confident your instructions will help.
    No, of course they won't help. I just said the first things that crossed my mind.

  29. #69
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    14,083

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by johnywalker View Post
    No.
    In my old tower machine there was no vb and it belonged to someone else as well
    If it belonged to someone else how do you know that VB was not installed and improperly removed at some point?

    In any case the actual legit copy of VB does not work if you just copy files, it might fool you into thinking it works a little but it will not work properly, may not work at all so if you had something that you copied over and it worked then either VB was previously installed on that system or you were using some hacked version.

  30. #70

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If it belonged to someone else how do you know that VB was not installed and improperly removed at some point?

    In any case the actual legit copy of VB does not work if you just copy files, it might fool you into thinking it works a little but it will not work properly, may not work at all so if you had something that you copied over and it worked then either VB was previously installed on that system or you were using some hacked version.
    Of course I know that. It belonged to a family member who does n't do any programming. Only music and historical photographs.
    Then my badly deployed vb6 worked and I distributed software from it.
    The installer I used was badly deployed. Hacked or not hacked makes no difference in that respect and our problem is how to install,
    Fact of the matter is I seem to never have made a good install in windows 10 and this time I got blocked from the start.

  31. #71

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    No, of course they won't help. I just said the first things that crossed my mind.
    Looks like you did.
    I have those good instructions now:

    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/install-...hine-for-java/

    But it seems impossible to get it going.
    I did what you said and did n't work. Then copied all the stuff from the SETUP folder to the install directory, it ran for a while, passed the key stage then it says "you must use the installer wizard", meaning the SETUP I believe.

    It says somewhere try compatibility with XP SP3. But my file explorer does n't do that. Only "troubleshoot compatibility". With "troubleshoot compatibility" maybe windows does try the XP SP3 case with no result but I don't know this. So I tried to implement the gpedit.msc feature (it being home edition). But with gpedit I still cannot modify the file explorer to show those compatibility options explicitly.

    Will this 10 dollar installer from nuke do it ?
    And if in your machines the warning "this app can't run" does n't appear, why in mine ?
    I find it extraordinarily strange if it is caused because I don't have an original cd.
    And I cannot remove it with some simple tricks such as lowering security level or turn developers mode on.

  32. #72
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    179

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    I'm tired. I'm going to watch videos on youtube.

  33. #73

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    See this:

    https://www.askvg.com/fix-this-app-c...nt-in-windows/

    I 'd like to see what "method 3" does for various cases but I can't.
    Then "method 4", disable compatibilty assistant, is it safe ?

  34. #74

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    I'm tired. I'm going to watch videos on youtube.
    Everybody is tired, including you know who.

  35. #75
    PowerPoster Elroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Near Nashville TN
    Posts
    7,827

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    ... and people jump on me for making sure my large application is always portable ...
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

  36. #76

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Here it describes the PCA message as false positive to be ignored:

    https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...dio-on-Windows

    Don't know if it willl complete but I 'll try it.

  37. #77

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    I assumed the PCA warning is a false positive and ran setup as XP SP3.
    First I treated the Java issue like it says here:

    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/install-...hine-for-java/

    but not like it says here:

    https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...dio-on-Windows

    It almost reached the end but then crashed saying javasign.dll failed to register.
    The first guide (raymond) says win 7. Was that my mistake ?

  38. #78

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    It installed, after copying the javasign.dll to the syswow64 folder and following the instructions in the last guide.
    The program compatibility assistant warning is a false positive.
    The work folder of vb6 containing my projects has to be outside program files(x86) otherwise it does n't save or compile.
    Now do I have to install something more ? The service pack ?

  39. #79
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,974

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Glad you got it installed.

    You will want to install Service Pack 6. Microsoft seems to have pulled the download from their website some time ago, but it is still available to download from the Wayback Machine at archive.org.

    Below is the URL that it can be downloaded from:

    Code:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20111011123759/http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/0/3/f03c202d-1ce4-4267-9393-a8a4b400a982/Vs6sp6B.exe

  40. #80

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    217

    Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

    Yet another mystery is now with Greek characters.
    I have Greek fonts in my pc, I can use them in word etc.
    In my vb project files there are some hard coded Greek, label captions.
    But in the environment I see hieroglyphics.
    If I hit "run" or run the compiled version the Greek words appear but not in the environment or the search-replace box. Why that ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width