Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

Addicted Member

Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

The same old problem again.
    My computer had to be repaired and it was reformatted. Reinstalled my backups, left VB6 for last as I knew it's tricky

The installer I use is:

_Getintopc.today.Microsoft_Visual_sTUDIO_6.0 iso

I also have:

_Oceanofexe.com_Visual_Basic_6.0.iso

Both contain setup but I 'm not running it - a message comes up saying "this may cause security/performance issues if you run it".
    However I knew from earlier that if I just deploy the contents of the iso files in a directory and run VB6 as administrator it worked in windows 10 (ran, loaded projects, compiled etc).
    This time not. It said "DAO350.DLL component missing".
    So as suggested elsewhere I took DAO350.DLL and copied it into "\program files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft shared\DAO".
    But after this it says "unexpected error; quitting" and I cannot find a solution for this one.
    Last edited by johnywalker; May 20th, 2022 at 11:54 AM.

PowerPoster

Re: Installation problem again - unexpected error quitting

You have to actually install, there are lots of things that need to be properly registered in order to work. There are several threads about how to install under Windows 10. Just a simple copy of files may allow you to run the ide and maybe even build a simple program but there are going to be lots of things that do not work no matter what OS you are using.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    You have to actually install, there are lots of things that need to be properly registered in order to work. There are several threads about how to install under Windows 10. Just a simple copy of files may allow you to run the ide and maybe even build a simple program but there are going to be lots of things that do not work no matter what OS you are using.
    I use Windows 10, the latest version I believe since the shop installed it last week.
    Now there is a setup as I said but it gives a warning and the simple copy is not allowing (the way maybe it did before).
    So what do I do ? Use the setup despite the warning ?

Here is another one in youtube advertising his own setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc3J...el=DigitalRaid

PowerPoster

I chased down the ISO at "Get Into PC" and it is pretty clearly pirated.

They even have a video showing the installation process, and the hacked installer never prompts for the product key.

Not quite a legitimate ISO file ...
    I would certainly not download some ISO file, extract it and start the installation files.

Don't you have your own original installation CDs?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Not quite a legitimate ISO file ...
    I would certainly not download some ISO file, extract it and start the installation files.

Don't you have your own original installation CDs?

No. Destroyed long long time - before cloud backup services came into being.
    It's possible that I tried one of those setups four-five years ago. It did n't work but probably managed to install someting so later with the simple trick of running the unprocessed iso ide it worked.
    I can't remember the exact steps.
    What to do know and why does windows complain if I try to run the "setup" I have ?

Addicted Member

PowerPoster

What about it?

If you paid for it then you have a product key. If not, using a stolen key doesn't make that legitimate.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnywalker View Post
    So as suggested elsewhere I took DAO350.DLL and copied it into "\program files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft shared\DAO".
    Upgrade to DAO 3.6 or at least to DAO 3.51.
    3.5 is not supplied under Windows 10.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    What about it?

If you paid for it then you have a product key. If not, using a stolen key doesn't make that legitimate.
    Correct but it does n't take me to the product key the setup from this last one too.
    It says "possible security/performance issues". I can still run it but is it safe to do so ?

Those cds of mine contained the help too while those from the internet don't have it.
    It's many many years and they were destroyed. I don't believe anyone of you has cds that lasted more than five years.
    The cloud backup services like mediafire came into existence after 2012.

I bought vb6 in 2000, together with my first internet connection.

I will now try the setup in an older windows 10 machine where vb6 is running. I want to see if the same warning comes up.
    But I want it in my laptop because I travel.
    Last edited by johnywalker; May 20th, 2022 at 01:04 PM.

PowerPoster

I bought my CDs in 1998 and they read just fine.

But if you acquire ISOs you should still be using your product key. CD life has nothing to do with that, it is usually printed on a sticker or if you maintain Visual Studio subscription they would have emailed the product key to you.

Addicted Member

Correct but it does n't take me to the product key the setup from this last one too.
    It says "possible security/performance issues". I can still run it but is it safe to do so ?

Those cds of mine contained the help too while those from the internet don't have it.
    It's many many years and they were destroyed. I don't believe anyone of you has cds that lasted more than five years.
    The cloud backup services like mediafire came into existence after 2012.

I bought vb6 in 2000, together with my first internet connection.

I will now try the setup in an older windows 10 machine where vb6 is running. I want to see if the same warning comes up.
    But I want it in my laptop because I travel.

The same in the other machine (windows 10, formatted several years ago but receiving updates). This app may not work correctly etc.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I bought my CDs in 1998 and they read just fine.

But if you acquire ISOs you should still be using your product key. CD life has nothing to do with that, it is usually printed on a sticker or if you maintain Visual Studio subscription they would have emailed the product key to you.
    I have product key. How else install ????
    It does n't take me there I said. Or should I ignore the warning and run the setup ?
    The warning message does n't copy-paste but I described it.

If it never prompts you for the key, then it's a cracked copy ... whether you use it or not is up to you. We're not in the position to tell you if it's safe or not.

And my wife wonders why I have so many CDs about.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    If it never prompts you for the key, then it's a cracked copy ... whether you use it or not is up to you. We're not in the position to tell you if it's safe or not.

And my wife wonders why I have so many CDs about.

-tg
    Let's take the vb6 story from the beginning.
    Bought in 2000, installed from cds, ok.
    Since then I changed computer about 5 times.
    Sometime in 2010 the cds give up the ghost and we did n't have cloud services for backup in 2010 or at least none that I knew off.
    So after 2010 whenever I have to reinstall I use a downloaded setup (and I don't have the help but it does n't matter).
    Now the last install in this laptop was in 2017. The setup did n't work - it crashed but it is probable something went in so it worked in a hybrid sort of fashion from the unprocessed iso contents.
    Now it does n't work as easy as that and the setup gives a warning.
    This warning I never seen before, so it must be after some recent updates of windows 10 that it does that.

The point where you guys are lying -or failed to pay attention properly- is about the key prompt. This comes later in the setup procedure as can also be seen in the youtube video I posted before
    ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc3J...el=DigitalRaid , belonging to a pirate or otherwise ).

So if you actually can help in this please continue. But the rest of the stuff is really out of the forum's usual atmosphere.
    Should the warning be ignored ?
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; May 20th, 2022 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Removed something not so good.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    Upgrade to DAO 3.6 or at least to DAO 3.51.
    3.5 is not supplied under Windows 10.
    There is already a DAO360.DLL in program files (x64) etc. Are those DAO 3.6 and DAO 3.51 the exact names ? And where do they go ?

Why don't you just purchase a legal copy of VB6 (Or Visual Studio 6.0)? These ARE available on Ebay...just be warned, however, that the P-KEY must come with the product for it to be 'legal'. THEN, you will have good CD's (from which you can make backups in case these become 'destroyed').

I still have my original disks (also purchased in '98), but I made copies of them initially and only use a copy when I want to do a new install.

As far as your question...(like others here...) I have NO idea. Sorry if I also offend you with my post here.

Sam
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

PowerPoster

Well you could set a restore point and run the setup as admin and see what happens.

I have not tried the VS installer under 10 myself I know there was an issue with the setup at some point related to Java or J++. I use the VB6 Ent ISO I got from MSDN for the installs on 8 and 10 though I do still have the original VS6 and VB6 discs around here somewhere.

Addicted Member

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...9-73e92e29f169

Your app doesn't work with Windows 10

Windows 10

Apps that aren't compatible with Windows 10
    If an app won't open after you updated to Windows 10, it probably isn't compatible, which means it might impact PC stability and performance. This sometimes includes apps that worked with a previous version of Windows, including previous versions of Windows 10. If an app is incompatible with Windows 10, when you try to open it you'll get a message telling you that the app or game can't run on your device.

If you got the app from Microsoft Store, see Get updates for apps and games in Microsoft Store for instructions on how to update the app. If you didn't get the app from Microsoft Store, or if you can't find an update there, check the app publisher's website for a new or updated version. Try doing a search for "Windows compatibility" on the app publisher's website.

If you don't find a newer version of the app, you can use the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter. For more info, see How to make older programs compatible.

Troubleshoot compatibility does not remove the warning in vb6 setup.
    And it was n't always there in windows 10 - after some update.

Addicted Member

There is already a DAO360.DLL in program files (x64) etc. Are those DAO 3.6 and DAO 3.51 the exact names ? And where do they go ?
    You don't need to worry about the dlls. Those files come already installed in windows, you just need to change the reference in the project from DAO 3.5 to DAO 3.6 (in the references windows of VB6).

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by argen View Post
    You don't need to worry about the dlls. Those files come already installed in windows, you just need to change the reference in the project from DAO 3.5 to DAO 3.6 (in the references windows of VB6).
    Where are those reference windows ?
    And we 're not talking about a project.
    We are talking about opening the IDE or doing the setup.

Addicted Member

We are talking about opening the IDE or doing the setup.
    OK, then ignore it.

Addicted Member

Suppose the system is checking those setup files from the internet for legitimacy and does not process them when it finds the product number is one of those leaked product numbers.
    It does that even before we reach the stage where we are prompted for a key.
    This also means I could n't proceed with my key either, because the setup is associated with another key - the leaked one and illegal for that matter.
    Yet all this is highly doubtful. Microsoft would never display a false message (potential instability etc). They would just say "illegal file because of bad product key".
    Therefore something else is afoot.

So if you actually can help in this please continue. But the rest of the stuff is really out of the forum's usual atmosphere.
    Should the warning be ignored ?
    No, the warning should not be ignored, and neither should this one: You've complained about some very valid criticism of the approach you are taking. I realize that you bought a legal copy a couple decades back and that the discs have been destroyed. Nonetheless, the iso images you are downloading are not legal copies. You have no idea what they are. Presumably, they do have everything that you want on them. What you don't know is whether or not they have something extra added to them that you don't want.

Therefore, you take a risk if you install them. Whether you want to take that risk is entirely up to you. Nobody else can, or should, make that decision for you. However, it is entirely in keeping with this forum that the use of obviously cracked software is strongly discouraged on principle.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    No, the warning should not be ignored, and neither should this one: You've complained about some very valid criticism of the approach you are taking. I realize that you bought a legal copy a couple decades back and that the discs have been destroyed. Nonetheless, the iso images you are downloading are not legal copies. You have no idea what they are. Presumably, they do have everything that you want on them. What you don't know is whether or not they have something extra added to them that you don't want.

Therefore, you take a risk if you install them. Whether you want to take that risk is entirely up to you. Nobody else can, or should, make that decision for you. However, it is entirely in keeping with this forum that the use of obviously cracked software is strongly discouraged on principle.

It was n't valid criticism or at least it was worded rather carelessly, aimlessly and strangely in view of the nature of the incident.
    And in any case how could I install without a key and when did I say "give me a key" ?
    If VB6 worked in my earlier installation without setup or after partially completed setup is neither here nor there.
    But the problem here is of a completely different kind it transpires.
    Even if my old cds could come back to life we would still have the same problem by the looks of it.

We are fighting for no reason.
    Because if one of you has the original cds in the box he can test to see if we have an installation problem.
    Also any more details about my system you need in an effort to solve the case, please ask me.

I have no idea if the internet downloads come with keys or not,
    Last edited by johnywalker; May 20th, 2022 at 04:08 PM.

PowerPoster

It is valid criticism, you just aren't getting it.

To properly use VB 6.0, it needs to be installed. There was never a Microsoft released/supported version of VB 6.0 that could simply be executed from some folder without it ever being installed. So, the product you are attempting to run is, at best, some sort of user created cobbled together collection of files done in a way that purports to allow you to run VB 6.0 without the need to install it. At worst, it is horrific malware. In either case, no one here is likely familiar with "Joe Blow's Run N Go VB 6 ISO", so no one here is likely to spend even a microsecond trying to help you to get it working, nor should they.

And calling people that you are asking for help liars for no reason whatsoever is extremely immature. When I got my current PC, I set up a handful of virtual machines for old OS's that I have media/licensure for (XP, 2000, NT 4.0), and all of those CD's are 20-25 years old, and guess what? They worked just fine...

Good luck.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    It is valid criticism, you just aren't getting it.

To properly use VB 6.0, it needs to be installed. There was never a Microsoft released/supported version of VB 6.0 that could simply be executed from some folder without it ever being installed. So, the product you are attempting to run is, at best, some sort of user created cobbled together collection of files done in a way that purports to allow you to run VB 6.0 without the need to install it. At worst, it is horrific malware. In either case, no one here is likely familiar with "Joe Blow's Run N Go VB 6 ISO", so no one here is likely to spend even a microsecond trying to help you to get it working, nor should they.

And calling people that you are asking for help liars for no reason whatsoever is extremely immature. When I got my current PC, I set up a handful of virtual machines for old OS's that I have media/licensure for (XP, 2000, NT 4.0), and all of those CD's are 20-25 years old, and guess what? They worked just fine...

Good luck.
    No it's not because I have no idea what they 're talking about.
    And I don't remember what happened five years ago. It worked after some effort, I could do my job and that was it.
    I think I put the key (the proper one) then the installation crushed and then miraculously it worked with the unprocessed items.

As it happens there are all sorts of threads here in vbforums about downloading vb6 installers. What about this one ?

http://nuke.vbcorner.net/

I don't care. It's not mine.
    Now it does n't run without install so that may be how it should be.

The question now is simple. Do your originals disc work or not - because if windows 10 does n't like the downloadables it probably now does n't like the originals either.

Now that I remember in 2010 when my cds had died and I changed computer I downloaded vb6 minus help files from here.

PowerPoster

No it's not because I have no idea what they 're talking about.
    Ahh...gotcha.

For the record, Winworldpc stuff is probably not going to give your PC whatever the PC equivalent of monkey-pox is. The other stuff you downloaded, who knows.

Good luck.

Addicted Member

Ahh...gotcha.

For the record, Winworldpc stuff is probably not going to give your PC whatever the PC equivalent of monkey-pox is. The other stuff you downloaded, who knows.

Good luck.

I have five. One is in the box just delivered.
    Anyway there are scores of threads for downloadable vb6 here, and now I 'm the one to blame.
    That I never actually used or been spotted to use a pirated copy is immaterial.
    And ok forget about the hodge-podge without setup.
    Just tell me if a copy from legit source -Bill Gates himself possibly- works now and installs.

p.s. I 'm called Johny Walker but it seems you guys are enjoying a good drop in prices

PowerPoster

There are scores of threads here about installing it from original media on Windows 10 and some even about Windows 11. It works.

Good luck.

Addicted Member

There are scores of threads here about installing it from original media on Windows 10 and some even about Windows 11. It works.

Good luck.
    There is no such thing like "original media" as far as the product works or not.
    You are talking to someone who has struck it rich by chasing computer pirates, but that's another story.

So there are scores of download links besides threads about what to do for the various problems.
    But anyway just take it easy and tell me if your, original I presume, setup starts or not.
    I don't like wars or rather I do but I don't like useless wars.

PowerPoster

there is no such thing like "original media" as far as the product works or not.
    You are talking to someone who has struck it rich by chasing computer pirates, but that's another story.

So there are scores of download links besides threads about what to do for the various problems.
    But anyway just take it easy and tell me if your, original i presume, setup starts or not.
    I don't like wars or rather i do but i don't like useless wars.
    Yes.

Addicted Member

Yes.
    It's not polite to shout in the internet.

PowerPoster

I was yelling into your bad ear to make sure you heard.

Addicted Member

The question now is simple. Do your originals disc work or not
    No, they don't install on windows 64 bits normally.

First try to install normally until you get the error, then:
    Uncompress the files, and in the SETUP folder copy the file VS98ENT.STF as acmsetup.stf
    Then run ACMSETUP.EXE

Those are the basic instructions, if you want more detailed instructions you'll find pages that explain how to install VB6.

WOW---thread has gotten way out of control.
    To answer OP's 'main' question (or at least one of them), YES, I CAN (and if you purchase a legal copy you can as well) install VB6 (as well as Visual Studio 6.0 -- several apps included) on Windows 10 and 11 using 'original' cds...but as I said earlier, I don't use the ORIGINAL ones, I use one of my backup copies. Search this forum for Elroy and Installing VB6 on Windows 10....very clear outline to follow to ensure you WILL get a good installation.
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

PowerPoster

My VS Pro discs will not install under 10 without jumping through some hoops. I think the same hoops were required under Windows 8 and 7 maybe even Vista. Been so long I can't remember.

My VB6 ENT installs and runs on all of those OS's.

There is also the option of setting up a VM and running XP or 7 in it for your VB development.
    I still use one with Windows 2000 on it to support some old apps I wrote many moons ago.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    WOW---thread has gotten way out of control.
    To answer OP's 'main' question (or at least one of them), YES, I CAN (and if you purchase a legal copy you can as well) install VB6 (as well as Visual Studio 6.0 -- several apps included) on Windows 10 and 11 using 'original' cds...but as I said earlier, I don't use the ORIGINAL ones, I use one of my backup copies. Search this forum for Elroy and Installing VB6 on Windows 10....very clear outline to follow to ensure you WILL get a good installation.
    It's gotten out of control because someone accused me out of the blue of doing pirated copies.
    And this when at the same time vbforums contains lots of download links for vb6 installers.
    My cds were damaged many years ago -I explained- and no cd that I know of lasts for 22 years ! Further, 22 years ago we did not have cloud services to backup our stuff.
    So you can see how terribly nonsensical all this was.
    Not only nonsensical but I 've never seen such behaviours for many years I 'm a member here.
    Anyway it's now a case of "this app can't run ..." problem and we don't have the answer. Anyone's installer would do the same in my pc, because something is out of order. Tried the developer mode switch to "on" last - no progress.

PowerPoster

It's gotten out of control because someone accused me out of the blue of doing pirated copies.
    And this when at the same time vbforums contains lots of download links for vb6 installers.
    My cds were damaged many years ago -I explained- and no cd that I know of lasts for 22 years ! Further, 22 years ago we did not have cloud services to backup our stuff.
    So you can see how terribly nonsensical all this was.
    Not only nonsensical but I 've never seen such behaviours for many years I 'm a member here.
    Anyway it's now a case of "this app can't run ..." problem and we don't have the answer. Anyone's installer would do the same in my pc, because something is out of order. Tried the developer mode switch to "on" last - no progress.
    LOL. So much wrong.

Good luck with VB 6.0 Romance Explosion Edition, where the B stands for Borat.

Addicted Member

LOL. So much wrong.

Good luck with VB 6.0 Romance Explosion Edition, where the B stands for Borat.
    Yeah ok.
    This was not as planned but it is apparent now that someone wants to see the links in vbforums pointing to download sites.
    To help microsoft go to the bank I 'm mailing the links to them.
    Delete fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast