Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cars we had, and now have

Re: Cars we had, and now have

I saw a sports car today that had a logo on it which I didn't recognize. Perhaps somebody on here can identify it. The logo was a shield in black and silver with a diagonal line running down it and a F in the center of it. The car was quite low and pretty nice looking, though the color was not to my taste.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

It was a F-type Faqhuart Mk F powered entirely by high temperature methane, forced under compression from the back boiler. Very common here.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Riiiiight.

Just continuing this dead thread as I have just bought a "new-to-me" car.

An MGTF 160, 2004, K series engine. Lovely to drive. You won't find many of these in the US.

I now have only two open top sports cars.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

It is good to clean your British car to get that grime and salt off. You really need to ensure that it does not disappear in a pile of rust before the Winter ends.

So the radiator is still in the front, but the engine is in the back? Lots of plumbing involved, I would expect. Where do the lines run? Or is that not the radiator I'm seeing in front of the spare?

King of sapila

The is a serious problem with the wheel in those cars!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    So the radiator is still in the front, but the engine is in the back? Lots of plumbing involved, I would expect. Where do the lines run? Or is that not the radiator I'm seeing in front of the spare?
    It is mid engined, situated just behind the front seats. I haven't driven it a lot but so far it feels very balanced indeed. No rear-end unexpected extreme fun like my Spittie. It is a proper sports car, light enough with a 160hp engine. It moves.

The plumbing is two stainless steel pipes running up the centre of the car as per the photo in this link: https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/-MGF-and...-Coolant-Pipes. It seems to do the job.

In addition I am fitting a low coolant level audible alarm just in case. There is a visual dashboard warning of course but you need to know this sort of failure early!

That doesn't sound like sufficient warning. I think you should hook the alarm to deliver electric shocks to the drivers nether region.

That doesn't sound like sufficient warning. I think you should hook the alarm to deliver electric shocks to the drivers nether region.
    I've thought about it but in balance I feel it is a bad idea.

The steering wheel is on the wrong side.
    Looks like it is on the "right" side to me...
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Right is always right.

King of sapila

Are you willing to take stick to that statement? Democrats cough,cough.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Are you willing to take stick to that statement? Democrats cough,cough.
    So did you mean "left is always left"...
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Left is always gauche.

King of sapila

Left is why I left.

Just bought this for my wife:

She insisted on electricity being the (e)motive power.

That's a pretty good looking MG. I've never been all that impressed with their styling. Seemed kind of boxy, to me.

On the other hand, I had a Subaru Crosstrek and had to put some decals on the side because EVERYBODY makes a car in that shape and color. I frankly didn't know MG was still a company, but now I see that not only are they still a going concern, they ALSO make a car in that shape (though mine was silver).

I used to have a jag (12 cylinders) but it was too high maintenance and a hustle to find parking due to it's size so I sold it.
    down that coffee slug

Quote Originally Posted by NTShpikho View Post
    I used to have a jag (12 cylinders) but it was too high maintenance and a hustle to find parking due to it's size so I sold it.
    Picture of type or it doesn't count (I know which it was, as I am familiar with Jags)

That's a pretty good looking MG. I've never been all that impressed with their styling.
    The latest types are following the current trend of compact SUVs that all manufacturers are following. Personally, I see one and I feel that I have seen them all. Despite that, it is a good looking car as long as you like the compact SUVs.

Reason we bought the brand? The MG marque still has some cache in the UK and Europe. It was bought by Nanjing motors and is introductory brand for Chinese-built cars (built to EU specs) with enough European DNA safety and quality in them to allow them survive and thrive in the world market. Design teamsin Longbridge, London and China. Honed for the EU market, you can see the quality improvements in the latest models. Selling in Australia too in volumes, I have no doubt they will arrive in the US soon. 270 miles range, panoramic sun roof. 8 year warranty. Price is good.

The MG ZS just hit the new 5 stars for the new EURO NCAP safety ratings.

The US 'might' receive this MG soonish: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mg/360...ining-roadster

There are lots of MGs in the US. They sit, partially disassembled, in garages all across the country. Every MG I know of is a hobby car for people who like restoring old cars. I have never seen one newer than perhaps the mid-70s, and maybe earlier.

Yes, of course. We have had also them for that intervening period as well, saloons and sporting cars of various types. Moderately successful until they stopped being successful and were bought by the Chinese...

That is a few of the types they released in that time, some of them great fun. I owned a few.

Volvo had another EV car my wife considered, now owned by Geely also of China...

Here is my latest pickup. It is a 1964 AMC Rambler - Special Typhoon edition.
    Name:  front.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  front-driver.jpg
Size:  48.2 KB
    Name:  front-passenger.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  51.6 KB
    Name:  rear-passenger.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  60.3 KB

I need to replace the floor pans but the body is in pretty good shape. Unfortunately there's barely any interior left. It still has the original inline-6 that the Typhoon edition was created to show off.

You can see the original paler yellow color that the car used to be. It used to be pale yellow with a black roof and black interior.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Rust! The bane of all classic car owners. One day we will learn how to reassemble the rust molecules into original parts. People will wish they'd kept their bags of rust... perhaps not.

Just had the actual car delivered. We have been using a hybrid courtesy car all this time. This one is fully electric. 270 miles range.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Here is my latest pickup. It is a 1964 AMC Rambler - Special Typhoon edition.

I need to replace the floor pans but the body is in pretty good shape. Unfortunately there's barely any interior left. It still has the original inline-6 that the Typhoon edition was created to show off.

You can see the original paler yellow color that the car used to be. It used to be pale yellow with a black roof and black interior.
    I can only imagine the work the underbody needs, but the body does look good.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Rust! The bane of all classic car owners. One day we will learn how to reassemble the rust molecules into original parts. People will wish they'd kept their bags of rust... perhaps not.

Just had the actual car delivered. We have been using a hybrid courtesy car all this time. This one is fully electric. 270 miles range.

Just brought my wife a new car today. It kinda looks like your two MG's, but it's gas powered.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    Just brought my wife a new car today. It kinda looks like your two MG's, but it's gas powered.
    Pretty picture please Peter Porter, pronto!

I agree that the SUV style is universal now. You can barely tell one from another.

Re: the technology, The playing field is levelling now with the onset of electric power. This technology is relatively new to all manufacturers and so you aren't buying into decades of engine/gearbox/drivetrain experience as you would be with petrol engines from Opel, BMW, Ford, Volvo, LandRover Jaguar &c. Any electric implementation from any manufacturer is going to be fairly new and untested, until the next ten-twenty years have passed, we won't know one from the other. We currently only have the name to go by. Time for relative newcomers such as Polestar, MG to step in now that Tesla has shown the way. I mean, we've had practical electric motors from the 1890s and micro processors since the '70s, it is only batteries and the emergence of brushless motor tech. that have delayed electric cars being a practicality.

The above does 270 miles on a charge, charges overnight in 7hrs (80% in one hour) and is warranteed for 7 years. 0-60mph is not the aim so it only does 8.9 secs but that's quick enough for an SUV and in any case it feels quick off the mark with over 200lbs of torque.

PS. I only have one MG SUV, the other was a courtesy car. My other MG is the roadster.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Pretty picture please Peter Porter, pronto!

I agree that the SUV style is universal now. You can barely tell one from another.
    Yeah, they all look pretty much the same.

Wifey doesn't like posting information online, but I can tell you her SUV gets 42 miles per gallon, which is about 18 kilometers per liter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12