Thread: Gen X: The new punching bag?

PowerPoster

Gen X: The new punching bag?

With the Baby Boom generation retiring, and for that matter dying off more rapidly by the day, who's culture is left to whiz on? Are will Baby Boom graves remain a viable target for some time to come?

I'm seeing more and more from Gen X in terms of drawing battle lines. That cohort has reached the age of stability and suddenly wants to push back against the destruction of their comfort in their world view.

It sounds like at least some of these aging Gen Xers have a problem with the ant-like Marxist human wasteland they see following them:

Re: Gen X: The new punching bag?

I wasn't aware baby boomers were a target of criticism and mockery. Aside from state enforced racism in places like the US, they got a lot of things right are the most admirable generation for their achievements, especially in STEM. They were also some tough SOBs.

If any generation deserves mockery and ridicule, it would be this latest generation(not sure what they are called). Bunch of low IQ socially awkward snowflakes that barely know how to communicate effectively without emojis.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I wasn't aware baby boomers were a target of criticism and mockery. Aside from state enforced racism in places like the US, they got a lot of things right are the most admirable generation for their achievements, especially in STEM. They were also some tough SOBs.

If any generation deserves mockery and ridicule, it would be this latest generation(not sure what they are called). Bunch of low IQ socially awkward snowflakes that barely know how to communicate effectively without emojis.
    OK Boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    OK Boomer.
    Actually according to Wikipedia, I'm Gen X, not a Boomer.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I had no idea or care what generation you are. It was just meant to be a joke because it sounded like the sort of thing a baby boomer would say about kids these days. As soon as I posted it though, it occurred to me that the fact the the expression exists should make it pretty clear that baby boomers are indeed a target of criticism and mockery. Not without cause, either. People are people and the idea that the people of one generation are better or worse than those of another is just silly. Petiole have a range of innate qualities and from there we are all products of our environment. If those of the current generation had been born during the baby boom then they would have done the same good and bad that was done and if baby boomers had been born more recently then they'd be making the same complaints about it.

I don't know what generation I am. It all seems totally vague, to me. It feels like the baby boomers got named, and therefore we had to put a name on every subsequent generation. The baby boomers were named because of the rise in childbirths following WW II, which almost makes them a distinct cohort, except that the end of the cohort is kind of vague.

There's a case to make for naming the generation from 2008 to...well, at least present. They could be "The Missing", since child births per woman have collapsed in the US during those years, so they have as much claim to a name as the boomers, even if in the opposite direction. Those other generations though, including whatever I am....pfffft!

Niya, I think you might have it wrong, too. You seem to be describing the generation that preceded the boomers (and produced them). That cohort has been described as "The Greatest Generation". They fought the war, built rockets, and so on.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I don't know what generation I am. It all seems totally vague, to me. It feels like the baby boomers got named, and therefore we had to put a name on every subsequent generation. The baby boomers were named because of the rise in childbirths following WW II, which almost makes them a distinct cohort, except that the end of the cohort is kind of vague.

There's a case to make for naming the generation from 2008 to...well, at least present. They could be "The Missing", since child births per woman have collapsed in the US during those years, so they have as much claim to a name as the boomers, even if in the opposite direction. Those other generations though, including whatever I am....pfffft!
    It's not an exact science. It's sort of like a "feel it out" kinda thing. GenX typically refer to those born in the 70s and 80s and Boomers precede that I believe. The Vietnam war, Malcolm X, Martin Luther king, free love, hippies etc are all Boomer things.

Niya, I think you might have it wrong, too. You seem to be describing the generation that preceded the boomers (and produced them). That cohort has been described as "The Greatest Generation". They fought the war, built rockets, and so on.
    The generation that preceded the Boomers are typically referred to as the Silent generation and yes, they too were a tough and resourceful bunch but it was the Boomers that put men on the moon. Intel and Bell Labs which were responsible for much of the digital technological innovations we benefit from today, came from the Boomers. Colour television came from the Boomers. Boomers contributed a lot to this world by building on the works of the previous generation.

PowerPoster

I guess I think my point was that we can easily bring abuse upon ourselves by taking an overly critical stance against others. Where "others" can be any line in the sand we try to draw between ourselves and these others.

The danger may be in the "othering" itself.

I thought it was funny that this guy (42 years old I think he said) who seems to have an odd memory of his own formative years. Almost like he "remembers" something like this Willoughby:

That story has a man weary of change in his world who gets on a train that can take him back to earlier times.

The generation that preceded the Boomers are typically referred to as the Silent generation and yes, they too were a tough and resourceful bunch but it was the Boomers that put men on the moon. Intel and Bell Labs which were responsible for much of the digital technological innovations we benefit from today, came from the Boomers. Colour television came from the Boomers. Boomers contributed a lot to this world by building on the works of the previous generation.
    The boomer generation is defined as those born between 46 and 64. Boomers were alive when men landed on the moon, but the oldest of them were in their early twenties, so it's a bit hard to say they did that. Intel is slightly earlier, so it's hard to say they were responsible for that. Bell Labs predated the boomers by a couple decades, though the technological innovations...depends on which ones you count. The transistor was probably the most fundamental to come out of Bell Labs, but that was 1947, so it sure wasn't the Boomer generation that was responsible for that. Colour television is almost as bad, since it debuted in 1953.

Boomers contributed a lot to this world by building on the works of the previous generation.
    Which no other generation has done, before or since, I guess. You stated outright that you didn't know that baby boomers were the subject of criticism so maybe, if you want to defend them from criticism, you should find out what the actual criticism actually is. Maybe you'll change your mind and maybe you won't but at least your defence will make some sense. I don't think anyone denies that boomers have made a contribution to society but that doesn't mean that they should be immune to criticism and it also doesn't mean that their criticism of later generations is automatic ally valid, given that the world these later generations is different to that the boomers started out in.

Meh. I really should not have gone into all that and caused all this confusion.

My real point was actually a lot simpler. The current "TikTok" generation are the most vapid, uninteresting, useless and sometimes downright retarded group of people I have ever seen in my life. If any generation deserves criticism, it's this one, not the Boomers. Boomers actually did worthwhile stuff. I never really intended to compare Boomers to other generations, only this last one.

If any generation deserves criticism, it's this one, not the Boomers. Boomers actually did worthwhile stuff.
    You may as well be a boomer, you're so crotchety. Yes, TikTok gives narcissists an outlet that people with the same personality type in decades gone didn't have, but the fact that those people are so visible does not mean that no one of that generation is doing anything worthwhile. It's also worth noting that the narcissism on display in current social platforms is really the intended end result of systems set in place by those of generations before them. "Greed is good" was a motto that existed long before the current generation and what we see now is, in large part, the result of that greed.

I'm as baby boomer as you can get...

“Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.”
    Attributed to Socrates
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Yes, TikTok gives narcissists an outlet that people with the same personality type in decades gone didn't have,...
    For two family members of mine, I never knew they were narcissistic until they joined Facebook. One went as far as branching out to TikTok (joined 2021) and YouTube (member since 2010) with the craziest crap you would ever see to an audience of about a couple of hundred idiots!

They're both Gen-Xs in their 50s!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    For two family members of mine, I never knew they were narcissistic until they joined Facebook. One went as far as branching out to TikTok (joined 2021) and YouTube (member since 2010) with the craziest crap you would ever see to an audience of about a couple of hundred idiots!

They're both Gen-Xs in their 50s!
    Yeah, people haven't fundamentally changed in a few decades. We haven't fundamentally changed in centuries or even millennia. You can bet that, had TikTok been a thing during the Boomers prime years, they'd have been using it the very same way that later generations are today. A generation doesn't just create itself. It is shaped by those generations that came before it and partly by trying to distinguish itself from those that came before it. That goes just as much for baby boomers as any other.

Mind you, it works the other way too, i.e. those complaining about the adverse influence that boomers have had on the world would have done the same things those boomers did had they been around at the time. That doesn't necessarily apply to specific individuals but it does for generations as a whole. I guess the issue that younger people have today is that the boomer attitude seems to be "we had it tough but we worked hard and created a utopia for you and you want to just sit on your ass and complain", as opposed to admitting those mistakes that they did make and what negative impacts they have had and also that today's generation also face pressures that boomers didn't.

Meh. I really should not have gone into all that and caused all this confusion.

My real point was actually a lot simpler. The current "TikTok" generation are the most vapid, uninteresting, useless and sometimes downright retarded group of people I have ever seen in my life. If any generation deserves criticism, it's this one, not the Boomers. Boomers actually did worthwhile stuff. I never really intended to compare Boomers to other generations, only this last one.
    Are you even old enough to be a curmudgeon??? Don't go taking on the mantle of being a curmudgeon until you've got enough grey hairs to justify it.

PowerPoster

Are you even old enough to be a curmudgeon??? Don't go taking on the mantle of being a curmudgeon until you've got enough grey hairs to justify it.
    How much grey hair do you need. I'm sure I'm old enough but I'm pretty follicley challenged.

The current generation always seems to scare some people. I was raised with people claiming those long hair hippie freaks are going to ruin our country. Their disrespectful, worthless, lazy ......

I was curious what was before the "baby boomers"...

Why do they call it the Silent Generation?

Traditionalists are known as the "silent generation" because children of this era were expected to be seen and not heard. They're those who were born between 1927 and 1946, and they average in age from 75 to 80 years old in 2018.May 2, 2019
    Here are the birth years for each generation:

Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 – 2015.
    Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 – 1995.
    Generation X: Born 1965 – 1976.
    Baby Boomers: Born 1946 – 1964.
    Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

What we worried Gen Z's music taste would become:

The far grimmer reality:

Soul and meaning sucked out of the classic Rocketman. Sigh! Worse yet, Elton John clearly suffers from dementia now as a conspirator in this weird urban-disco-autotune dog's breakfast.