Thread: Correlated Dataset Generator In Excel

Correlated Dataset Generator In Excel

I have developed a macro-enabled Excel program that creates datasets of variables with user-specified correlations. The program accommodates normal random variates, scale variables with specified mean, standard deviation, etc. and/or binomial variables. It is freely available; please share it with others.

Copy & paste into browser:

https://tinyurl.com/CorrelatedDatasetGenerator

Re: Correlated Dataset Generator

Ahhh, I did this years ago. Changing the mean and/or standard deviation doesn't change the correlation, and it's easy to do, as different means and/or SDs are just linear transformations.

Creating a specific correlation is a bit tricky though. As said, it's been years ago but, if I remember correctly, I just did it by creating a perfect correlation and then swapping random pairs in one of the columns until I got the correlation I wanted (within an epsilon tolerance).

Now, a trickier problem is creating specific bi-variate correlations among three or more columns.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Re: Correlated Dataset Generator In Excel

Since it isn't a question, it belongs in either Utilities or the CodeBank. I opted for Utilities because the source isn't included, but a link to a spreadsheet is.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing