Thread: Programming in BASIC on the $5 Raspberry Pico

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Programming in BASIC on the $5 Raspberry Pico

Programming in BASIC on the $5 Raspberry Pico

Fascinating stuff, to me at least.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Frenzied Member

Re: Programming in BASIC on the $5 Raspberry Pico

I haven't got much too add. Just out of curiousity: do you know a reference manual I could browse?

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Frenzied Member

It looks like it inherited a lot from earlier BASIC generations. I thought that style of BASIC was pretty much dead except among retro computing fans or those instances where an older app cannot be easily modernized. Do you sometimes still play with old BASIC dialects for MS-DOS?

I still somtimes do. (Even though I believe vb.net or in some cases vb6 is better suited for more serious work. Especially in Windows.)

Oh yes. I occasionally dabble in other languages, for example QB64 for scripting small console type utilities but I do also program in Sinclair BASIC on various Spectrum 48k/128k devices I have in my study. This is all just for fun of course.

The ability to use a similar BASIC on a Pico just makes some electronic projects I am working on, both possible and fun. If I have to code in some form of C I find myself baulking and often not even commencing that part of the project. It just isn't fun whereas BASIC for me, is.

Frenzied Member

Well BASIC was always more aimed at hobbyists, right? Most stuff I wrote in BASIC is amusing but admittedly not very useful. Why do you use QB64 instead of other BASICs?

QB64 is already written into my soul through QB 4.5. I had a sizeable QB45 project and used that designer for a long time. Enjoyed the process of building and got to know the IDE like the back of my hand. That editor in another form went on to become the default DOS editor so useful there. The QB64 IDE is more or less identical to all those. It is like coming home. It is a BASIC without the events, forms and the objects and it emits compiled C code. I suppose I think of it as VB6 without all the complications, sometimes it is refreshing to use or come back to.

I have used it to build small command line utilities to do this or that, a sort of enhanced BATCH.

Frenzied Member

Sounds like QB64 is quite nice. Did you ever use Power Basic or Gambas?

QB64 is the (surviving) predecessor of VB. I came to VBDOS straight from QB45 and thence to VB so going back to QB is quite familiar. QB64 is functional and usable. Just don't get involved with the forum politix.

I have briefly used FreeBASIC with the 3rd party IDEs as a trial but PowerBasic was always commercial and so I wasn't going to stump up cash for something that I might not enjoy using, especially when VB6 continues to operate. I tried Gambas but it is only available on Linux and BASIC on Linux is another dead end in my opinion that I don't want to be involved in. It kept crashing when I tried it on Ubuntu/Cinnamon/KDE.

I suppose what keeps me going with a tool is familiarity with the interface. If any 3rd party had striven to recreate VB6 IDE, language, compiler, warts'n all then I'd probably have gone for it as the learning curve is reduced.

QB and VB are now in-the-blood so nothing new to learn.

Frenzied Member

QB64 the predecessor of vb? What do you mean? I thought it was a spin off of Quick Basic made by those unhappy with vb. The rest of your post I get and pretty much agree with. Indeed, I like to stay away from "politix" too.

btw,
    Since you called vb qb64's predecessor which version is "in your blood"?

I consider QB64 to be a branch from QB (as it is more or less identical) and therefore it is the still surviving predecessor. Resurrecting the DNA of a neanderthal and creating a new and better neanderthal.

When I use QB64 it is just QB on a modern computer with a change or two. Give it a go and you'll see.

I am unsure it was created by those unhappy with VB, perhaps so. Dislike of VB certainly wasn't a prevailing emotion when I was scouring the QB64 forums. It feels more a labour of love created by those, even more out of touch with reality than our own VB6 users. Died in the wool chaps that dislike change perhaps?

It has moved on now to being a multi-platform, 64bit producing, non event-driven BASIC.

It is the original QB4.5 that is in my blood but since I have been batching recently in QB64, the two, for me, are for all intents and purposes, the same.

Frenzied Member

Qb64 actually runs Quick Basic 4.5 programs without many issues. I'm impressed, but I still prefer vb.net and vb6. Or Qb45 in DOSBox.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Oct 13th, 2022 at 05:33 AM.