Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Musk buys Twitter

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Musk buys Twitter

I doubt we have even seen much here from anyone who could legitimately be categorized as "far right." I can't imagine those posts would be left here, though for some reason the "far left" has free reign.
    2 problems with this:-
    1. I don't see anyone accusing you being "far right". I've seen accusations intolerance and I've seen you personally being compared to a Trump supporter (rightly, in my opinion, though you continue to deny it) but I don't see you being called a fascist or a Nazi. The only times I see those phrases are when someone says they're called it e.g. Niya's post 114 "You're basically Hitler if you use the wrong pronoun", not when someone actually does the the calling. This is yet another of the straw men you keep building to enable your own sense of martyrdom.
    2. I don't think anyone on here qualifies as "far left". Show me the communists. Show me the anarchists. Unless your definition of "Far Left" extends to liberals you're talking utter garbage.

I'm sure you'll be able to cherry pick a few exceptions to the above if you look hard enough but a simple scan of this thread will demonstrate that the weight of data debunks your position.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

You ask for examples, and then immediately declare citing examples to be "cherry picking." I assume that "cherry picking" is bad, m'kay so what it appears you are really doing is sticking fingers in your ears and shouting "la, la, la, la" to yourself to prevent hearing anything.

"Have you stopped beating your wife, yes or no? Yes or no?"

Wow, linguistic traps are easy hmm? And silly.

But there is hope in your post. Not calling people who disagree with you fascists or Nazis is a good sign. Rejecting communists and anarchists is another. I'm not sure what constitutes a "Trump supporter" for you, but you still seem fond of that label. Perhaps you can correct that as well. He has been out of office for over a year and a quarter so his name doesn't have much relevance any more.

I'm not sure how you and I are significant though. Aren't we discussing events and positions on issues?

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I'm not sure what constitutes a "Trump supporter" for you, but you still seem fond of that label. Perhaps you can correct that as well.
    Just to be clear. I can't speak to what Funky means and this isn't directed at him in any way.

That being said, based on how this term is used in certain online spaces including pre-Elon Twitter and the dumpster that is Reddit, I'd say it's typically used by these kind of men:-

To denigrate these kinds of men:-
    Last edited by Niya; May 11th, 2022 at 11:28 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

LOL

They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue?
    - Blade Runner

You were being reasonible until you said:

He has been out of office for over a year and a quarter so his name doesn't have much relevance any more.
    He is in the news everyday. He is supporting republicans and campaigning all over the country. There are half a dozen books that were best sellers out. Elon Musk is going to allow him back on Twitter. The Jan 6th Commission is all over him. Republican candidates are falling all over him for endorsements trying to "out Trump" each other. And there is constant speculation he will run in 2024. Then again, maybe that is not relevant to you...
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; May 11th, 2022 at 01:05 PM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Putting all the politics aside, this is shaping up to be an interesting move by Musk. He's talking about charging certain entities to be able to post (not the general public, though), which is a radical departure from the way popular social media has gone in the past. The obvious advantage to that would be the ability to avoid a business driven by ad revenue. Still, I'm really interested to see whether or not he gets any takers. This could be a truly fascinating study in sociology.

Other than that, he has the issue that Twitter is well know more than anything else. It's never been much of a business model and never gotten all that much penetration when compared to the Goliaths of social media. His changes will likely not leave the situation unchanged. It will be interesting to see whether Twitter soars or dives, but I would expect it to do one or the other rather than just muddling along.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    He's talking about charging certain entities to be able to post (not the general public, though)
    The problem with this is where do you draw the line. I'd be curious so see exactly how paying members are differentiated from non-paying members.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I had assumed payment would be required to operate Twitbots and troll farms. Wasn't that most of the commercial use in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    The problem with this is where do you draw the line. I'd be curious so see exactly how paying members are differentiated from non-paying members.
    Absolutely. The early reports suggested "politicians and corporations." It's easy to define the latter, but not so easy to define the former. Do you include the local PTA president? City council members? Just national elected representatives? That weird guy who gets his name on a few ballots but never gets more than a dozen votes?

Yeah, IF this idea goes forwards, then it will be totally fascinating to see where the line is drawn and what people do about it.

After thinking about it a bit, I would guess that it would be a non-starter. Twitter lacks the reach of FB. I don't see a whole lot of people who will be willing to put up much to reach a smaller audience. I'm not sure that they'd put up much to reach a large audience if there was some alternative that was free.

Still, it shows that he's trying to make something out of Twitter, which has always underperformed. His ideas may work, or they may not. It should be interesting, either way.

You ask for examples, and then immediately declare citing examples to be "cherry picking."
    Perhaps cherry picking was the wrong choice of words. The point was that, if you're going to say this: "So something like the way anybody who doesn't agree with you is a "right winger" or a "racist" or any of the other slurs that the self-aggrandized haters use." then follow it up with this: "It's hardly a false claim. You see it done over and over and over again here. I doubt we have even seen much here from anyone who could legitimately be categorized as "far right." " you appear to be levelling the accusation that people are repeatedly falsely portraying you as "far right" for disagreeing with them (not false because you are far right - I don't believe you are - but false because nobodies accusing you of that). To back that up you will need to provide multitudinous examples of them doing so.

The reference to Trump was purely in service of identifying that someone calling you a Trump supporter, as I have myself, would not constitute calling you "far right". Although Trump certainly has supporters that are far right, it would be a logical fallacy to assume that all Trump supporters are far right.

So, let's try again. Are you asserting that people who you disagree with repeatedly accuse you of being far right? If so, demonstrate that. You're certainly asserting that this forum has a "far left" bias. Demonstrate that.

The reason I ask is that both of the above appear to me to be untrue and appear to be being asserted in order to justify a misplaced sense of martyrdom. If I'm incorrect about that, please explain the purpose of those assertions.

I had assumed payment would be required to operate Twitbots and troll farms.
    I believe he's talking about banning those, not charging them (pretty sure he'll actually follow wherever the money leads though). So presumably he's be talking about people who want to use the platform for either commercial or political purposes. Though as others have said, that's going to be a very difficult distinction to draw.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Perhaps cherry picking was the wrong choice of words.
    Perhaps "egregious unjustified extrapolation" would be more appropriate.

PowerPoster

That's pretty funny.

Chocolate smeared all over your hands and around your mouth yet you claim you didn't get into the candy.

Worse yet, you seem to honestly believe your own spin. I may as well give up. I'm trying to describe color to the blind.

Neatly avoided

Neatly avoided
    There was a flash of light, a loud bang and, when the smoke cleared, he was just gone...

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Neatly avoided
    He's never been interested in having to properly argue and backup his points what's new ??
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    He's never been interested in having to properly argue and backup his points what's new ??
    There's a Jimmy Dore video for that.

Some people have been predicting that Musk would back out of this deal. This morning, it has been reported that he has stated that the deal is on hold. That doesn't mean it is dead, but it sure does make it interesting.

PowerPoster

Some people have been predicting that Musk would back out of this deal. This morning, it has been reported that he has stated that the deal is on hold. That doesn't mean it is dead, but it sure does make it interesting.
    That guy does manage to stay in the news. The media loves him. Well I guess that's because lots of people want to hear about him. He seems glad to give them what they want,

PowerPoster

Don't we all want less censorship?

King of sapila

I haven't been reading the thread much as it has gone from left to right and up to down and backward again.
    So I need to ask, are we for or against Musk purchase? I saw a glimpse of happiness when he was pretended to back off.
    Just for the record and since I'm not very enchanted from this thread, I'm with dil and Niya just because they get malefic attacks.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Don't we all want less censorship?
    I guess that depends on what's being censored. I have no problem with censoring lies and hate. But, as already mentioned, who makes the decision of what's allowable is the problem.

I don't want totally uncensored social media or media as a whole. But it really doesn't play a roll in my life. The only social media I'm involved with is FB, which I use to keep up with the family. Though I have had to "UnFollow" some members of my family because of there political and hateful posts.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I have no problem with censoring lies and hate.
    I disagree. The best way to recognize an idiot is to allow him to tell us himself. If we silence him, we'd never know he was an idiot.

I don't want anything censored. I want to know what everyone is thinking whether I like what they have to say or not.

There is no point of view or opinion I'm not willing to entertain or examine, no matter how ridiculous. Of course if I find an idea ridiculous I will not hesitate to say so.

PowerPoster

I disagree. The best way to recognize an idiot is to allow him to tell us himself. If we silence him, we'd never know he was an idiot.

I don't want anything censored. I want to know what everyone is thinking whether I like what they have to say or not.

There is no point of view or opinion I'm not willing to entertain or examine, no matter how ridiculous. Of course if I find an idea ridiculous I will not hesitate to say so.
    Interesting. You can't think of one thing that someone could post that would inappropriate for all the men, women and children of the world to see. I can think of lots of thing I wouldn't want my children exposed to. There are people that are far worse than just "idiots".

Interesting. You can't think of one thing that someone could post that would inappropriate for all the men, women and children of the world to see. I can think of lots of thing I wouldn't want my children exposed to. There are people that are far worse than just "idiots".
    Well, what I'm saying is, I have never seen anything said online by anyone that made me want this person to be silenced. For example, I hate Neo-Nazis more passionately than any other group of humans on the planet. They are the most vile and disgusting examples of humanity I have ever come across, yet I can still comfortably browse sites like 4Chan and Stormfront reading their rubbish. I want to know what these people are thinking and despite their wicked ideologies burning me to my very soul, I want to be able to hear and read what they have to say. I do not believe in censorship, not even for people I consider the dregs of humanity like Neo-Nazis. In essence, I hate censorship far more than I hate hearing or reading the words of people I despise.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I haven't been reading the thread much as it has gone from left to right and up to down and backward again.
    So I need to ask, are we for or against Musk purchase? I saw a glimpse of happiness when he was pretended to back off.
    Just for the record and since I'm not very enchanted from this thread, I'm with dil and Niya just because they get malefic attacks.
    I am leaning towards the belief that he will back out of the whole purchase. I don't have an opinion about that, I'm just betting on the outcome, and that's the bet I'd currently place.

As for censorship, I'd rather not have it, either. By now, people should be well aware that living without any rules is the same hopeless utopia as communism: A nice idea in theory, but in practice it turns into something that nobody wants.

The key, as in all things, is moderation.

I realize that most people will think I was making a pun, but I said it anyways. It's kind of the Buddhist view, but it seems to work in just about everything.

PowerPoster

Well, I guess one of the messages in "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was the difficulty of having even-handed gatekeepers.

Extra-terrestrial societies felt strongly enough about it to turn interplanetary policing over to a race of robots. Those were idealistically constructed to be even handed, and then they gave them basically absolute power to maintain peace beyond and between planetary atmospheres.

Yes, that's almost absurdly naïve and there are so many ways for things to go wrong, go wrong, go wrong...

But it was just a literary device. Something to illustrate the point that peaceful relations were even more important than in the pre-nuclear past, or even that once you take your squabbles across a certain line you may face terrible retribution.

So no, we don't have a Gort without imperfection to run the public square. But there is room to do better than we have.

But don't drag children into it. Do that and you open doors to some serious criticism of things most decent people do not want their children exposed to. I'm not convinced children should have access to social media or even all news programming. Where the hell are the parents? Stoned on booze and weed all day?

PowerPoster

As for censorship, I'd rather not have it, either. By now, people should be well aware that living without any rules is the same hopeless utopia as communism: A nice idea in theory, but in practice it turns into something that nobody wants.

The key, as in all things, is moderation.

I realize that most people will think I was making a pun, but I said it anyways. It's kind of the Buddhist view, but it seems to work in just about everything.
    I agree, nothing in our past would indicate that no rules works. I'd like to add, another key is consideration. Some people can tolerate or even find something interesting in hateful lies. Other would be hurt, or even worse, may not be able to recognize it for what it is.

As for the pun, everyone here knows you don't use puns in moderation. lol

PowerPoster

But don't drag children into it. Do that and you open doors to some serious criticism of things most decent people do not want their children exposed to. I'm not convinced children should have access to social media or even all news programming. Where the hell are the parents? Stoned on booze and weed all day?
    Certainly consider the children when talking about censorship. Because if someone says they don't want any censorship then that would affect children. If you deny them access to social media, then you are censoring them.

As for the pun, everyone here knows you don't use puns in moderation. lol
    Good point.

that Thread Title just sound unreal, well I suppose for Elon Musk it's normal.
    Image he would say..Hmmm I like Cheese Burger's.. I think I'll buy McDonald's

how small we all are if I say ...I need a new or a good used Car
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

I saw a story suggesting that Trump was claiming that Musk would not buy Twitter at such a "ridiculous" price. If true, I'm thinking that Trump is either trying to bait Musk into going through with the purchase or make him feel better about not going through with it, but I'm not sure which. Trump may want Musk to buy Twitter so he can get back on the platform, even though he says he won't, or he may not want Musk to buy Twitter and even want more right-wingers to get actually banned or dispirited because of other people's bans so that they will migrate to his own platform that even he can't say the name of.

I am leaning towards the belief that he will back out of the whole purchase
    He's certainly got history of this.

I do not believe in censorship, not even for people I consider the dregs of humanity like Neo-Nazis
    Your post focuses on the classifications of people rather than their activity and, on that basis, I agree, nobody should be censored for their beliefs. However, they should be censored based on what they say. Incite or glorify crime, I'm happy with that being censored. Trump, for example, was not banned from Twitter for his views. He was banned for inciting a riot and then glorifying it.

However, they should be censored based on what they say. Incite or glorify crime, I'm happy with that being censored. Trump, for example, was not banned from Twitter for his views. He was banned for inciting a riot and then glorifying it.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Don't get me wrong, the goal of maintaining peace is laudable. However, if I go on Twitter and tell my followers to riot and they actually do it, then there is a far deeper problem here and censorship isn't going to fix it. Banning Trump is just a lazy response. I'd be more interesting in why the rioters did what they did. What was it that made the rioters feel so bad that it was so easy to incite them into such a frenzy. It is absolutely insane to me that everyone in the mainstream avoided examining this more deeply and simply dismissed them as mindless sheep following a mad man. This kind of willful ignorance is how great empires fall.

Your post focuses on the classifications of people rather than their activity and, on that basis, I agree, nobody should be censored for their beliefs.
    Well this is how the extreme left operates in case you're unaware. It is entirely possible to get banned from Twitter for saying something as innocuous and harmless as "there are only 2 genders". You don't have to incite a riot like Trump did to invite the banhammer on Twitter.

It is entirely possible to get banned from Twitter for saying something as innocuous and harmless as "there are only 2 genders".
    Citation needed. Do you have any actual examples of anyone being banned for JUST that? I very much doubt it. If someone was banned after saying that then I'm pretty confident that there was some lead-up that was taken into consideration as well.

It looks like Texas is against censorship too...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/13/tech/...urt/index.html

Texas's law, which was blocked last year but reinstated by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday, makes it illegal for any social media platform with 50 million or more US monthly users to "block, ban, remove, deplatform, demonetize, de-boost, restrict, deny equal access or visibility to, or otherwise discriminate against expression." As a result, it also creates enormous uncertainty about how social media companies such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube will function in the state.
    I don't think VBForums has over 50 million members but if it did I could sue if I was banned for "whatever" I posted. Seems like there are posters in this thread that are just fine with that law.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I disagree. The best way to recognize an idiot is to allow him to tell us himself.
    And then you censor if the person wants to cause phsyical harm, or do we let this person continue posting the same until there's actual death or injured people, because this person carried through with their plans, or encouraged a closet nut to do so? Should this person be allowed to continue posting after a tragedy this person caused so this person or their follower cause harm again? Alot of them post anonymously, which are impossible to track to be arrested. Where is the line drawn?

if I go on Twitter and tell my followers to riot and they actually do it
    ...then you are culpable. You would likely be prosecutable under conspiracy. And if Twitter allowed you to do it, so would they.

Citation needed
    ^yep, that.

You said earlier that you're demonised if you use the pronoun no Twitter. But that means you were able to use the wrong pronoun. You just didn't like being held accountable for it.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; May 14th, 2022 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Citation needed. Do you have any actual examples of anyone being banned for JUST that? I very much doubt it. If someone was banned after saying that then I'm pretty confident that there was some lead-up that was taken into consideration as well.
    I said it's possible as in, it is within the realm of reason and that assertion is based entirely on the outcome of similar cases that fall within the scope of "gender politics".

If you're tempted to think that it is not possible to get banned from Twitter for this, you might want to pay attention to cases like this. It's the same kind of gender politics at play with the same group of people behind it but the stakes are far higher than a simple ban on a social media platform.

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast